Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Tablets, smartphones and e-readers

Old 16-03-18, 12:48
Highly valued member

Default Re: Tablet for travelling abroad

Wifi shouldn't be a problem but FWF is right if you start using a dongle for 4G or even 3G come to that, but providing the Dongle isn't tied to a network have a look at some of the Three Network deals for traveling abroad. I not looked recently but there were doing some very good traveling abroad deal a while ago.

The Canada mobile data (and phone) frequency is still a issue to be aware of, of course. I doubt you will be able to use mobile data or phone communication with European SIM card in either a phone or a tablet dongle.

Pretty sure you would be OK in New Zealand though.

What ever deal you might settle on. Watch you don't drift over the allowance otherwise FWF will rightly be saying I did warn you.
Old 16-03-18, 13:24
Highly valued member

Default Re: Tablet for travelling abroad

PS to the above, as FWF said you need to be on your toes if planning to use mobile data abroad.

Adverts and automatic updates of apps, even the apps you rarely if ever use, are all data that is being downloaded and you will be paying for that one way or another when using mobile data.

So your tablet can be spending money for (or using up your allowance) while it's tucked away in it case.

I would only activate mobile data when I intended to use it and then switch it off again when finished. Also I would deactivate automatic updates. Depending on your machine this may have to be done by individual App policies or there could be a blanket setting for all and any updates.

If you install an Ad blocker, when you think about it, the Add has to arrive on your machine before it can be blocked so your tablet has already downloaded that data out of your allowance. Not much you can do about that if they are coming in via the live web pages you are looking at but avoid installing any free apps which have adverts etc. and if you do have some make sure they not running when not in use unless on Wifi.

But by avoiding Apps with free adverts and preventing auto-updates of individual Apps and the operating system, plus only switching on mobile data when you need it you will save a bob or two.

Re the auto updates you can always activate them while back on wifi. Although personally I would keep any individual Apps permanently set to not auto update as some of them seem to be at it each time you boot even though the app works perfectly well and often updated Apps disappoint compared to how the original used to be . Plus several apps all trying to update at the same time can slow a tablet down considerably (depending on the spec) and extend boot time to a point of real annoyance.