Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 09-10-18, 10:29
Enthusiastic contributor

Default MCT 1809

Hi,

Before the issue with 1809, I downloaded the Media Creation tool for 1809.

I also had the MCT for 1803.

I had used the 1803 tool to reload an older Sony Vaio after installing an ssd. This worked OK, but I then thought - why install an older version, why not install the 1809 version - which I did.

The Laptop seems OK, but it is still as a basic install, so no "documents" etc are on it anyway.

Microsoft have deleted the 1809 MCT (the given link now points to a 1803 version).

My Question is:
Will the 1809 version be OK to keep, or should I reload from scratch using the 1803 version?

I'm not bothered about the extra work, but more worried about the 1809 causing issues in the future.

Thanks
Old 09-10-18, 10:46
Global Moderator

Default Re: MCT 1809

Well 1809 is going to be re-released eventually and aspects of it will no doubt be rewritten to existing 1809 installs.

As your machine just has the OS on it, it's not known how it will react to any files that you put onto it - perhaps it was just the initial update that did the damage for some.

I restored this machine back to 1803 because it removed part of a .rtf doc, as well as inadvertently removing most of my Downloads folder with a disk cleanup and screwing up my app defaults with a MS app reset, but have left my other one on 1809.

I have yet to decide whether to restore that one or wait to see what next comes out of MS.

It appears to be okay, but I rarely use it other than keeping it up to date as a spare.

I think to avoid any complications when 1809 is next released, I'll probably restore that one back to 1803 as well.
Old 09-10-18, 11:42
Passionate member

I used the media creation tool to update three computers with no loss of files. It was only the update process itself that lost files for a tiny minority. The 1809 Installation on my three computers has been running perfectly since last Tuesday ( a week). I see no need whatsoever to revert to 1803. I passed the media tool on to friends and family, warning them that there ‘might’ be a loss of documents during the upgrade. They updated, also with no loss of files, doing so in the knowledge that they had comprehensive backups of all documents. My advice is keep it.
Old 09-10-18, 12:06
Passionate member

I agree with Sneaky. The PC that I updated to 1809 are working fine with no document losses, it's is easy to become paranoid about this and the press and media do absolutely love to 'hype' the problem especially if it means they can have a 'dig' at MS.

Most people who updated have had or most probably will not have any issues with 1809 after all it has been on the insider ring for quite some time and apparently the numbers of those affected are very small.

I am leaving mine on 1809, i see no reason not too.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 09-10-18, 12:15
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimper View Post
I agree with Sneaky. The PC that I updated to 1809 are working fine with no document losses, it's is easy to become paranoid about this and the press and media do absolutely love to 'hype' the problem especially if it means they can have a 'dig' at MS.

Most people who updated have had or most probably will not have any issues with 1809 after all it has been on the insider ring for quite some time and apparently the numbers of those affected are very small.

I am leaving mine on 1809, i see no reason not too.
Totally agree.
Old 09-10-18, 12:21
Passionate member

Regarding the Deleted Documents in a 1809 install.
Dona Sarker (Head of the Windows Insider Program at Microsoft) recently Tweeted (Oct 6th):

Quote:
If you have files in your Docs folder still, none were deleted.
https://twitter.com/donasarkar/statu...12272287834112

Q: Is there any way to see if files have been deleted without, you know... Remembering what files I had?

A: If you have files in your Docs folder still, none were deleted.

Q: Oh it's an all or nothing situation? Seems like I'm in the clear then

A: Yes, you're likely good to go.

Q: Likely. Sorry is this all or non or is this still be investigated? Thanks

A: I am assuming she is saying there were only reports about all files being removed, and there were no reports about partial file loss. Until Microsoft finds out what causes the bug, they can't be certain, but they can safely assume that there are no partial file loss.
Old 09-10-18, 15:04
Global Moderator

I had a partial file loss but the point I was trying to make is that when MS release the modified version, we'll probably all get it.

Whether it just overwrites certain bits or causes more mayhem, we'll never know until it's too late.

That is why I'll be reverting my other machine so that I will get a fresh copy of the update if and when it comes.
Old 09-10-18, 15:19
Passionate member

If you have had a partial file loss, then I guess you are very unique as it doesn't appear to have been reported to Microsoft by any one else.
Old 09-10-18, 15:37
Global Moderator

It was the last entry in a Wordpad doc but was still there on the other machine and as this is my prime machine, I would have copied the updated doc to that machine.

I haven't reported that either.
Old 09-10-18, 15:38
Enthusiastic contributor

I had done 2 machines manually, and am not sure if I lost any "documents" as I never use the default "documents" folder anyway. I did have an issue with one PC and the Edge icon/browser never appeared (and yes I am the ONLY user, but I love it). I restored that machine then everything was OK.

The other machine would not restore as the settings button stopped working, so I rebooted this machine, then the settings button worked OK, but (just in case) I restored this one too - once again successfully).

I will leave the 1809 machine alone for now.

Thanks all