Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Old 18-11-17, 09:26
Established member

Default Broadband speed

I've just updated from standard to fibre broadband with talktalk and I'm trying to measure the new speed but I'm getting very different results depending on the software I use. The internet speed test in google tells me 15 Mbps, talktalk's own test tells me 22 and Microsoft's Network Speed Test app says over 30. How do I find out which one is giving the most accurate reading? Thanks.
Old 18-11-17, 10:32
Global Moderator

Default Re: Broadband speed

I normally use www.speedtest.net but it seems to be playing up recently with the Latency (Ping) reading, but the speed tests seem to be constant.

Are you doing the speed tests wireless or wired ?

You should get more constant readings when wired as wireless can vary.
Old 19-11-17, 18:21
Established member

Thanks. Speedtest is the speed test that talktalk use on their site. I test it wirelessly as that's how I connect. I wonder why the other tests give such different results.
Old 19-11-17, 21:35
Global Moderator

While I've forgotten the URL for TalkTalk's speed test, I always found it to be lower than www.speedtest.net but the wired speed remained constant between the two.

As for the wireless tests varying, not sure if that could be because of the different servers.

I've seen where the results have differed when using different sites on www.speedtest.net

You may want to log into the router and change the channel setting to a specific one by being guided by the Link Score in inSSIDer3.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I did a wireless speed test on www.speedtest.net this morning and was getting about 28Mbps yet when I did another one this afternoon, that was down to just 20Mbps.

I opened a Command Prompt (Admin) and entered netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid and found I was now on channel 8 instead of channel 6.

This was probably because the power went off on Tuesday for about an hour and that would have reset the router somewhat.

Having changed that back to 6, another speed test gave me about 32Mbps.
Old 19-11-17, 23:34
Highly valued member

I always use speedtest.net. It has been a long time since I compared it with other speed testers. When I did, there was always a variation of reported speeds.
So why the variations? ... Who knows? ... That's why I now stick to just one tester ... speedtest.net.

When on Wi-Fi, my networked external devices are approx 70 Mb/s.

In my Virgin Super Hub Netgear settings, I have my Channel set to Auto.
I'm on cable and find that my speed is constant and not throttled whatever the time of day, nor does my channel change from 6 because we have no neighbours in close proximity.

Shutting down my router nightly does not noticeably affect my fast startup time when booting the next day.

I've made the screenshot below larger to make the text easier to view.

Old 19-11-17, 23:40
Highly valued member

Don't forget that even fibre is effected by attenuation of other users on the same cable from the exchange, unless you are on an FTTP connection which stands for fibre to ther premise. This is unlikely as this means your ISP has kindly run a fibre cable specially for you directly from the exchange straight to your house. You will almost certainly be on a FTTC which stands for fibre to the cabinet (the road side kiosk or cabinet) from these cabinets a large number of homes will share the same cable, the final connection to the individual homes usually being copper. So depending on the number of other users and what they are doing by way of bandwidth consumption speeds will vary but as a rule fibre is so much faster you wouldn't normally notice any effect at your PC in average use but it will of course show in a speed tests.

Also depending on wifi signal strength you are likely to see a variation in speed. Signal strength will vary depending on obstructions between the router and PC like walls and floors. Also the greater distance you are from the router will effect signal strength and therefore speed.

You are also unlikely to get the actual speed being delivered to your router using wifi irrespective of the above. You need a wired connection to get a true reading.

Therefore before you can really complain you need to be connected to your router by cable. Your router should be connected to the master socket not an extension and you should really run the test when fewer people locally are using the internet, probably at night.

Having said that unless you are streaming HD TV to different devices at the same time while using a computers as well I think it unlikely that you would notice any difference in normal domestic use between 15Mb/s and 30Mb/s.

Fibre is like ISP internet speeds have always been but just up a notch. ie What you pay for in your package will always be 'speeds up to' whatever quoted in your package and you ISP will supply what they can and what you actually get will depend on the factors mentioned. Trying to pin your ISP down to the actual maximum speed of your package will be like trying to catch water in a sieve.

You are also likely to get different results using different on-line speed tests mainly because they will use different servers and these can be many miles different (Like many thousands of miles different) or it could be just less efficient servers. This is one of the reasons your ISP will prefer that you to run the test through their servers and not one say in Hong Kong or the darkest parts of Russia.
Old 20-11-17, 01:08
Highly valued member

How Much Internet Speed do I REALLY need?

https://www.ottcommunications.com/ho...i-really-need/

About a year ago, I decided to review my Virgin Media package that incorporates two separate Virgin Tivo boxes, one for each side of the house with a Full House of all available TV channels including all the Sports channels, a landline phone package with free 24/7 geographical calls, and cable broadband.

I reduced my 150 Mb/s download speed to 100 Mb/s and my upload speed from 12 to 6 Mb/s after reading an article similar to the above link.
The article stated that this was a waste of money because an average family could get by on a download speed of 20 Mb/s ... see the table in my link ... even when using devices simultaneously.

Spit