Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Notices

Old 18-08-18, 15:43
Enthusiastic contributor

Default disc clone

am trying to move W10 to a new harddrive,with easeus back up have tried both Clone and system clone,though both copy i cannot see how i get it to boot from the new drive.
Old 18-08-18, 16:27
Global Moderator

Default Re: disc clone

Instead of creating a clone, create a system image and do a normal restore with that onto the new HDD.

That's what I did when I changed the HDD on another Win 10 laptop.
Old 18-08-18, 18:01
Highly valued member

You may need to reset the boot order in the BIOS. Sometimes it may not recognize the clone unless you do so.
Old 19-08-18, 14:26
Established member

On the three occasions I have done this for family (moving W10 from HDD to SSD) I have used Acronis software (cradle and cables admittedly bought from the now defunct Maplin) and the resultant clone has booted up normally without adjusting BIOS. The same software does a multitude of other tasks as well, most notably wiping old HHDs.
Old 19-08-18, 20:50
Enthusiastic contributor

OK ,i still have a problem,originally i had a slow boot and a clicking noise coming from the tower for a few seconds i thought,as i had read that it was a hard drive problem,so i cloned to another drive,got it to boot from that drive,(in bios)deleted the old drive and formatted.installed a fresh copy of windows and have installed just the basics,avast,firefox and thunderbird.but i still have the same situation,it displays no signal on the monitor,i can get the boot screen up if a press a button on the tower next to the power on/off button,(but don't know what that does)and eventually it will start,though a few times it says it does not recognise the password till i enter it a second time.if it is graphics card do i have to remove it to use the HDMI on the motherboard?
to clarify the clicking is about 10-12 rapid clicks then about 6 clicks which are fainter and a third set of clicks,as well as the normal noise a HDD makes.
hope i can sort this as it has not been a good weekend for electronics,while trying to back up everything to do a clean install i found the printer does not work properly,only prints part of the page and there is plenty of ink,and the BT vision box on the TV has packed up, so we have no TV except DVD's.
any further details needed please ask,and i will respond if i get it started again.
Old 19-08-18, 23:40
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy View Post
if it is graphics card do i have to remove it to use the HDMI on the motherboard?
Usually, yes.

I would also try reseating it and reseating the RAM as well. You can also try running with different combinations of RAM sticks installed, as it could be bad stick of RAM.
Old 20-08-18, 21:56
Enthusiastic contributor

another problem has arisen i can now not play video get sound but no picture?heading like i need a new PC.
Old 20-08-18, 22:10
Global Moderator

Do you get any flashing lights like an error code ?

I was wondering if those clicks were an error code although I've never heard of error codes been given as clicks, or do you no longer get those ?

Do you get video when booted up into Safe Mode with Networking ?
Old 22-08-18, 11:33
Enthusiastic contributor

Update :-clicking noise tracked down to a stuck / key on the numeric keyboard,it had been put back incorrectly when i cleaned the keyboard recently.have also got graphics card removed at present and all seems to be working sound/video etc. so plan to use it for a while then replace it to see what happens.
Old 22-08-18, 11:41
Global Moderator

Booting into Safe Mode with Networking is a means of isolating the GPU as a troubleshooting measure, but it also isolates all 3rd party programs as well, so may not have been as direct an action as removing the graphics card.

How are the error codes displayed for your machine - beeps or flashing lights ?