Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 11-08-18, 19:20
Familiar face

Default GPT ,protected partition.

My 2-3 year old desktop Zoostorm pc has give up due to a motherboard fatal crash.
I can accept that and I have kept my 1tb HDD and disposed of the remainder of the pc.

I thought that it would be a simple matter of putting my old 1 tb HDD into a usb caddy I have and then "rescuing" my data to my various laptops?????

Oh no ? on connection I get the message GPT protected partition and I can not access my data.

I think it has something to do with the old Zoostorm pc having an UEFI rather than a BIOS boot system.

What can I do to access my old files

I have tried various data recovery programs with little or no results.

help me please all you Guru's.
Old 11-08-18, 20:53
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: GPT ,protected partition.

I take it your computer had Windows 10? It should just show the main partition and all it's contents although when you access your save folders, such as Documents, Downloads, Pictures etc, it will say that you need administrators rights to do so. Just click continue and your files will show. The GPT hidden or protected partition should be the recovery partition. I have never not been able to access my personal files, or anybody elses for that matter, when I have removed a hard drive and put it in a caddy and then connected it to my computers to save my or their files when I have done a repair or computer replacement.

I will just give you a bit of advice for the future though. If your files had been backed up to somewhere else you wouldn't have the problem. So when you have got it sorted make backups of your personal files at least to an external disk and do it on a regular basis. There are plenty of free programs available that will do this automatically for you.
Old 11-08-18, 23:22
Global Moderator

If Pete's suggestion doesn't work, this article will show you how to convert it to MBR without losing any data.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-mas...sing-data.html
Old 12-08-18, 18:52
Familiar face

Thanks for the replys guys, nothing has worked at all so I will totally format the said HDD using a windows installation disc and learn from my mistakes.

I did have a back up on a seperate HDD but it was a few months old so I only lost a few files.
Old 13-08-18, 10:27
Global Moderator

I wonder why Easus didn't do it for you, but at least thanks to a back up you haven't fared too badly.