Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 10-01-18, 16:54
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Start Menu missing

Hi,

I have 2 SSD Hard drives in the same Box - 1 is 128Gb & 1 is 256Gb.

I have Windows 10 on both, and can boot to either, but the 128 is the one I use as default (the 256 is used for software that I use rarely, such as music & Video etc).

I keep them both updated (the 256 probably monthly)

The 128 is now running Winver1709-16299.192, but having updated the 256, I can only get it to get to Winver_1709_16299.125

That I can live with, but the 256 will not show anything if I left click on the start menu button, in spite of me performing 3 restarts, It still refuses to show a start menu.
the 128Gb has no issues like this.

Any idea why this is happening - it can't be hardware, as both use the same hardware, and both are using the same Windows version.

I get a message about shutting down Task Host Window, but there is NO task host window showing in the task bar. Also I get the "Updating" message each time.

As I see it, I could completely rebuild the 256Gb drive (is MCT available for 1709?). If it was reliable, I could use it as the default drive, but with no start menu, it's not feasible.

Thoughts? - Thanks
Old 11-01-18, 15:24
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Start Menu missing

"Task Host Window is an intelligent windows program which pops up when you attempt to Shut Down windows. The reason why it pops up is due to the running processes and programs in the background; when you initiate shutdown or reboot, task host interrupts the process to check if all running programs were closed to avoid data loss, the pop up would also show you which programs were running. An example of this, would be a notepad file or a word file open, whilst itís open if you attempt to shut down, Task Host window will be shown."

Some solutions here

http://windowsreport.com/task-host-window-windows-10/
Old 11-01-18, 15:48
Global Moderator

It was the out of cycle KB4056892 update that took it to 16299.192 but because of the problems that update was causing, it has since been withdrawn, but it could still be trying to install on yours.

See if applying the Powershell cmd in this article gets you your Start menu back and then you can click on the Settings cog/Update & Security/Windows Update to see what it has been trying to install.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...f86ee6b?auth=1

If you press the Windows key and then on the 3 bars top left, that will get you the left click options.

The MCT is currently for 1709.
Old 12-01-18, 20:46
Enthusiastic contributor

Hi,

Thanks....

I have tried the powershell option, (I couldn't even get the PC to shutdown after)

I tried the Power troubleshooter, but all it did was to reset the sleep time (which was set to never - which is how I have always had it)

There is another update, so I will let that install, or even try a rollback if that doesn't work.

EDIT - just seen it's KB4056892 that is trying to install.

Failing that, it'll have to be the MCT
Old 12-01-18, 20:56
Global Moderator

Did clicking on the 3 bars get you your left click menu back ?

You can use your restore points to undo the Powershell cmd.

As you already have 1709, the Update now button won't work for you so you will have to create install media to perform a repair install, but have you tried this cmd to see if it resolves -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Enter exit to close the cmd window.

A repair install is done from within Windows and not by booting up with the install media.

A repair install doesn't affect your personal stuff or installed programs, but may change back any defaults you may have changed.
Old 12-01-18, 21:04
Enthusiastic contributor

Cantrel - At the time, the 3 bars didn't work, because even pressing the windows key wouldn't display anything at all!!!!

I eventually managed to get Windows to shut down, but then it said "Configuring windows...." and after watching this for 10 minutes with no change, I powered the PC off.

I will try "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" tomorrow - too late now.

Thanks
Old 12-01-18, 21:18
Global Moderator

From your normal desktop press CTRL+ALT+DEL which will get you the power button down on the right.