Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Feedback & Announcements

Old 06-01-18, 14:53
Passionate member

Default V Bulletin Messages

Hi Guys, Just lately when I log in to WU I always get the following message:
"V Bulletin Messages. Do not have permission to access this page" but I can click a Forums tab at the top left corner and get straight to the Forums. I don't even know what a "V Bulletin" is let alone try to access it. Any help please to stop this page repeating.

TB
Old 06-01-18, 22:33
Top contributor

Default Re: V Bulletin Messages

This is a vBulletin forum Blotmice - if you look at the bottom of the page, it says "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4". I've seen a similar message too, usually when I've tried to see a post which has been deleted for some reason. This is the message I see
Quote:
vBulletin Message

Madeline, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post for the first time, your account may be awaiting activation..
3. The post you are trying to access has been removed.
4. Your account may have been disabled by an administrator.
At the moment there are some daft error messages appearing here as I said in this post:

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147499

That was due to a different cause, but the messages were the same! I mentioned it in the "Posts hanging" thread too.
Old 07-01-18, 10:02
Highly valued member

Hi Blotmice,

I hope you don't mind me having a look at some of your recent post, but this one http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showpost....06&postcount=4
is hot linking to a page containing adverts and not just the image you have posted. Just a guess but it might be worth asking a moderator to try deleting it, and any others you know of linked to that source.

You wont see the adds if you have a blocker activated but they are there along with other links.

@ Madeline, not trying to be smart despite our too often disagreements but I frequently got those 'duplicated posts' messages, not all the time but annoying none the less. It wasn't anything to do with the Forum it was a faulty mouse which very occasionally made and broke the connection creating a long double click. .. Just a thought worth checking with a spare mouse if you have one.

Mine was a wireless mouse so difficult to pin down if a mechanical issue in mouse itself or the wireless circuit in mouse or receiver, but the micro-switch in a mouse itself would be favourite as micro switches are not unknown for making and breaking due to their delicate inners.

As I said just a suggestion.
Old 07-01-18, 10:28
Global Moderator

I've physically removed that post using your link, Jak.
Old 07-01-18, 23:01
Passionate member

Thank you Madeline, thank you Jak, thank you Tom.

I don't know a lot. I don't really understand what hot linking is all about so I am not consciously using it for anything, whatever that is. How would I know if an image is linked to anything or not.
I appreciate your input and patience.
Thank you Guys.

TB
Old 08-01-18, 00:07
Top contributor

You’re very welcome TB. I get odd messages when I’m on this site regardless of which of our PCs I use - I’d probably miss them if they vanished altogether! As far as hotlinking goes, this Wikipedia entry gives a brief explanation:

Hotlinking

A lot of people refer to hotlinking as ‘bandwidth theft’. If you see an image in a post here, either it should have been placed there by uploading directly to this site from the poster’s own PC or other device or by using an image-hosting site, such as Photobucket or Imgur, to host and provide links to enable the display of images. Some info from Wikipedia about image hosting:

Image hosting service
Old 08-01-18, 11:58
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blotmice View Post
Hi Guys, Just lately when I log in to WU I always get the following message:
"V Bulletin Messages. Do not have permission to access this page" but I can click a Forums tab at the top left corner and get straight to the Forums. I don't even know what a "V Bulletin" is let alone try to access it. Any help please to stop this page repeating.

TB
Hi George,
vBulletin is the software used by Web User to run these forums ... albeit that it is an older, outdated version of vBulletin.
I can't answer your query about your vBulletin messages at login but as you've posted this in Feedbank & Announcements, hopefully our admin will be able to investigate.

Regarding your puzzlement about why one of your innofensive Christmas images was removed by a mod; you say that you have been using Imgur hosting to post images here, so in that case it should not have been removed because it was not Hotlinked. Perhaps Tom could explain this? Perhaps it was the underlying content of the image rather than how you posted it as suggested by Jak above?
I've sent you a PM with further information about hotlinking that may help to further clarify.

Regards, Spit

Last edited by tornado; 08-01-18 at 12:24.
Old 08-01-18, 12:11
Global Moderator

I just went on what Jak had said - sorry if that was in error.
Old 09-01-18, 22:14
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
Perhaps it was the underlying content of the image rather than how you posted it as suggested by Jak above?
I've sent you a PM with further information about hotlinking that may help to further clarify.

Regards, Spit
Hi Tornado and a Happy New Year,

Yes that is the point I was making it was the underlying content of the page and how it was linking. Forget the term hot as in link for a moment.

I don't use imgure so not sure what goes on there but I checked other imgure linked images first before replying to BM. (I actually looked up some of your old threads because I knew you used imgure) and they were linking totally differently to the one Blotmice linked to, in so much that if the link is taken from a normal imgure posted image and pasted into the address bar it just goes to the image only on a blank screen, the link from the one that Blotmice posted went straight to a main page of imgure containing several live (I presume flash) adverts and several other links (in pictures) to other locations. I presume these would have been hyperlinks but they could have been hotlinking to other servers themselves. (??)

What drew my attention to BMs pic was the way it had actually inserted itself in the post, ie it was dead centre as if it had some website padding on either side as well as being right at the top of the post with small amount of top not visible being chopped off by the of the posting panel as if it was being pushed to the top of the post by websit padding below it. When I right clicked the image I also got a different pop up to that of a normally posted image. I can't now remember just how it differed but trust me it was significantly different but I was still able to get the link from it.

When I followed this back it opened a main imgure page which was displaying the image in a sort of slider with other images to either side as well as adverts and other links as mentioned above and not just the inserted image only.

Now the reason I used the term hotlink is because I understood it to mean embedding an image (in this case) into a forum post which is hosted on a different server to the one where the image is being stored. If I have that wrong my apologies but as per my first post it wasn't the type of linking which I suspected might have been causing BM's problem it was more likely the content linked to.

I use Postimage and as you can see from this pic of their linking options for forum posts they use the term 'hotlink for forums' this is because the images stored on their server will be embedded in a site running on a different server. This will of course use their bandwidth but this is the business they are in so you do it with their blessing.(for the moment)

I noticed your comment about hotlinking in the other thread and the warning notice you got about stealing bandwidth which replaced your posted image. I am presuming this was because you had directly hotlinked to an image in another website that was not an image hosting site and if so you would have been using an image without permission and using up the website owners bandwidth to do that.

Wiki Quote: Hotlinking is a term used on the Internet that means displaying an image on a website by linking to another website to obtain the source data of the picture each time it is needed, rather than saving a copy of it on the website on which the image will be shown.

Another more detailed explanation here which also seems to fit my understanding.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=35939

NB I don't frequent this site as I don't have much of that stuff left, it was just what was returned from the search terms I used for the Wiki.
Old 12-01-18, 00:07
Passionate member

Hi Guys,

Can I pop in again? or are we all done??

Anyway, here goes nothing. I have never logged out of WU and always got straight into the Forums (rightly or wrongly??).
Now when I click into WU I get the V Bulletin page which tells me that I do 'not have permission' and the following appears at the bottom of the page: "LOG OUT HOME". I click 'Log Out' and get another V Bulletin stating that "all cookies cleared. Return to page you were previously viewing. Go to Forum Index". Forum Index is opened but I am not logged in.
All I ever wanted was get to status quo.

There may be another clue there or not but I don't want anyone stressing about it because I'm not! You've all done great for me and I very much appreciate you all.

Thank you TB