Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Other Software

Old 01-01-18, 09:29
Familiar face

Default Word 2007 peoblems

I have recently re-installed most of my software after a HD Disaster! Everything worked OK in Word 2007 for a few days -however when I open any document in word 2007 now, no matter where I click my cursor I cannot get into the page to either change a word or copy a section. It won't highlight any word and I am unable to carry out anything at all in any document. I hope someone has come up with a solution to this - at the moment I am selecting 'Save As' as a PDF doc and I can them get access but this is obviously not the answer! I am not too technical so please keep any answers reasonably simple. Many thanks for any help. I should mention that I have reinstalled word and although it works OK for a week or so it reverts to the problem as above. Not sure if it makes any difference but I am running Windows 10
Old 01-01-18, 09:43
Global Moderator

Default Re: Word 2007 peoblems

While Word 2007 is supposed to be compatible with Win 10, can you check to see what compatibility mode its using by right clicking on it and select Properties and then on the Compatibility tab.
Old 01-01-18, 11:32
Familiar face

Happy New Year Cantrel - I checked the compatibility and got message that the .doc I was opening was a read only one marked so by myself - looks like all my docs are the same as I was able to gain access to it by ticking the read Only option and all was well - BUT when I go back to open any other document I have the same problem: can you please tell me how I get all docs to be not Read Only (and I can assure you that I never selected this option at all at any time in the past)
Old 01-01-18, 14:08
Global Moderator

A Google on this produced a number of links - some worked for some but not for others and caused even greater problems.

The only positive one seemed to be this one which may or not apply for you.

"The problem was Windows Defender - by default, the feature Protected Folders was enabled by default. This feature protects Document folders against writing by unapproved applications.

Disabling this feature in Defender settings solved the problem - all my folders are now writable"

There was another one where if you right click on the Docs folder - not sure if this is a Word Docs folder or the main but select Properties where you can uncheck the box for Read only - Apply - OK but on mine, the main Docs folder has that box default blacked in and while I don't use Word, none of the files I have in there are read only.

TmsDocs.jpg