Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Other Software

Old 08-12-17, 04:40
Highly valued member

Default Yes

2.2.8 was in the list I posted above for awhile now (That comes from thier site also)
Old 09-12-17, 00:07
Top contributor

Default Re: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
2.2.8 was in the list I posted above for awhile now (That comes from thier site also)
Yes, I saw it there, but it wasnít shown as the Ďofficialí version to download on their main site, it was v2.2.6. but now thatís been updated to v2.2.8.
Old 23-01-18, 15:39
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: VLC Media Player - is it a threat?

Some time ago (a couple of years or more), before I discovered Web User, I asked on another forum how to download a short segment of video from an endless stream, quoting BBC news 24 as an example of the kind of thing I had in mind.

I was advised to use VLC, but all that gave me was an infinite number of ever-diminishing traffic cones, like the effect you'd get from having two mirrors facing each other.

That was all the advice I was able to get on that forum, no help working out how to use the thing, and I found nothing in the instructions about recording anything. It seemed it was just a player.

Later, I came here and asked a similar question, but nobody could help me, except to post a link to the VLC forum.

I tried to register on that forum, but the validation e-mail never arrived, which meant I was unable to complete my registration.

It was a while ago now, but I believe I found a contact link of some kind and sent them a message. No reply. It seemed the (VLC) forum had been abandoned, which doesn't seem to bode well for VLC itself.

I suspect that the advice I received on that other forum was wrong, and that VLC can't be used to record anything.

Recorder, player, whatever, an abandoned forum and a lack of any sensible instructions tells me VLC isn't worth bothering with, certainly not for what I wanted to do anyway.
Old 23-01-18, 23:39
Top contributor

VLC is mainly a media player and a very good one. There is plenty of info about its features shown here:

VLC media player - Wikiwand

The forums are still running:

The VideoLAN Forums - Forum Home

The following links may (or may not) be useful:

How to Capture/record Desktop Video Using VLC Media Player.

How to record ANY streaming video using VLC - The VideoLAN Forums

The articles are old, but probably still valid. When I download short videos, I use a video downloader ~ Iím currently using 4K Video Downloader ~ and I play the downloaded videos on VLC. Apart from Windows Media Player, itís the only media player I have and I use it for playing CDs and DVDs as well as watching videos.

If you ever want to give it another try, you can get it here:

Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN
Quote:
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
As you can see, itís available for Linux distros too.

Edit: Some more info here too:

VideoLAN Wiki

Last edited by Madeline; 23-01-18 at 23:51. Reason: As shown
Old 24-01-18, 08:25
Familiar face

I installed VLC two weeks ago for my W10 laptop.....Kaspersky didn't flag it as an issue...I've also had the Linux version installed on another laptop for some time without issues.
Old 24-01-18, 10:07
Enthusiastic contributor

Went to VideoLan site - it only offered version 2.1.0 (32-bit) - I downloaded this OK then went to the FileHippo App Manager, which offered an update to version 2.2.8 (64-bit) and this downloaded and installed OK, then deleted the 2.1.0 version.
Old 24-01-18, 19:17
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for that Madeline. The instructions are for Windows, but it looks as if it shouldn't be too difficult on Linux either.

I'd just about given up on VLC, assuming it to be just a player, but I haven't uninstalled it, so I'll give it another try.

Not so sure about the forum after my earlier failure to register, or even get a response from them. No time now (busy week), but I'll have another go when time permits.
Old 24-01-18, 23:33
Top contributor

Quote:
The instructions are for Windows, but it looks as if it shouldn't be too difficult on Linux either.
It's worth a try anyway. Although I gave a link above to VLC's download site, this part of that page is better as you can choose the appropriate version of VLC for your Linux distro if you ever need it - in your case Ubuntu:

Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN