Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Other Software

Old 18-11-17, 00:50
Familiar face

Default Microsoft office strange black bar error

hi all, after copying and pasting some info off a website i sometimes get these annoying horizontal black lines on word files you can see on the photo ive attached to this message,

does any1 know what they are and how to really get rid of them ? as i use the return button to move text up the document sometimes the black line will go but only to reapear further up the text ! its driving me mad

thanks for any help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture18nov17.jpg (88.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 18-11-17, 22:34
Highly valued member

Default Yes david is righy

I ike wat your horoscope says!
Old 18-11-17, 23:28
Familiar face

Default Re: Microsoft office strange black bar error

yeah horoscope from cainer can be god sometimes.

ps the black bar across the document isnt only from cainer.com website it can happen from other sites when i copy n paste to word files
Old 21-01-18, 15:42
Established member

Talking Re: Microsoft office strange black bar error

You must be including a line as part of the copied text.

Next time you paste into word, RIGHT-CLICK and paste as plain unformatted text (the syntax varies on the version in use)

That way it should remove the bar or make it deletable.

The last character often has invisible commands to add formatting within, using the return key may make it worse.

To see these hidden characters there is an icon on the task bar looking like a filled in Black letter P

It toggles the hidden characters, you will see paragraph symbols, spaces (dots) and tabs (arrows) easily making it easier to get rid of the last para with the border in it.

Meester Chris
Don't all shout at once
Old 21-01-18, 18:40
Familiar face

thanks for that , ive still got that annoying bar on some word files that are so far impossible to remove, surely theres a way to delete them ?

when i copy something then right click on a word doc it gives 3 options 1 keep source formatting (K) 2 merge formatting (M) or 3 keep text only (T)
i think i use ms office 2013

the black bars once on a word doc then get recreated sometimes when i paste new info so i end up with 2 bars on a document, sometimes pressing return and moving the text up the page eventually lets me delete 1 of the bars but next time i add more text it comes back , its very annoying flaw/error

there appears to be no way to click on the bar to then maybe delete it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterChris View Post
You must be including a line as part of the copied text.

Next time you paste into word, RIGHT-CLICK and paste as plain unformatted text (the syntax varies on the version in use)

That way it should remove the bar or make it deletable.

The last character often has invisible commands to add formatting within, using the return key may make it worse.

To see these hidden characters there is an icon on the task bar looking like a filled in Black letter P

It toggles the hidden characters, you will see paragraph symbols, spaces (dots) and tabs (arrows) easily making it easier to get rid of the last para with the border in it.
Old 21-01-18, 21:35
Enthusiastic contributor

It's possible that it could be a Form Control or ActiveX control built into some websites to display a drop down list, date range etc, that you have included in the copy. If so you need to click the Developer Tab in Word and then the Design Mode icon (a set square). Then if you click the black bar area it should show up the marquee and you can delete it by pressing the keyboard delete key.

If your Developer Tab is not displayed, show it by method in https://wordaddins.com/support/how-t...developer-tab/
Old 23-01-18, 15:04
Enthusiastic contributor

If it's only the text you want, you could try using copy and paste to put it into a plain text file (Windows Notepad for example) and then reversing the process to copy it into whichever file type you prefer.

Check that the line is gone while it's still in Notepad though.
Old 23-01-18, 18:28
Familiar face

thanks for the idea..i did those steps but clicking on the black bar then clicking delete key doesnt remove it

i also recall in the past i wanted to make an obvious barrier =to seperate some text i simply kept pressing

///###~~~~~~~ keys all across the word file to make it a line right across the width of the word file and then those symbols suddenly turned into this weird black bar !

what on earth is going on ?
thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1 View Post
It's possible that it could be a Form Control or ActiveX control built into some websites to display a drop down list, date range etc, that you have included in the copy. If so you need to click the Developer Tab in Word and then the Design Mode icon (a set square). Then if you click the black bar area it should show up the marquee and you can delete it by pressing the keyboard delete key.

If your Developer Tab is not displayed, show it by method in https://wordaddins.com/support/how-t...developer-tab/
Old 23-01-18, 18:30
Familiar face

thanks problem is i still have some of those black bars on some word files that i want to remove

yes ill try to be careful in future to hopefully not get them again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-King View Post
If it's only the text you want, you could try using copy and paste to put it into a plain text file (Windows Notepad for example) and then reversing the process to copy it into whichever file type you prefer.

Check that the line is gone while it's still in Notepad though.