Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Other Software

Old 23-12-14, 18:04
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Back up software

I have 1 120gb SSD drive and two 1tb hard drives, I want to use the SSD As C: for the operating system (windows7 ultimate) plus programme files, and one SATA3 1tb drive as my D drive, my data and "My Documents" drive. The second 1tb drive I want to use as a back up to the D drive.

On the face of it that sound very easy, but if I get any data loss then time is most important to me, so I don't want to spend hours "recovering" the D drive, I'd like to be able to simply swap the SATA cables over so the back-up drive thus becomes the D drive and therefore instantly available.

I can't seem to find a backup software package that enables me to do this. Admittedly i am frequently lost amid the technical terms used by the software vendoes, so not entirely sure what is what.

Does anyone know of any such software package that is easy to understand and use and either free or low cost (say, under £30).
Old 23-12-14, 20:18
Familiar face

Default Re: Back up software

I have been using Carbonite now for about 4 years and it works perfectly. It will backup whatever you want it to, is easy to set up and once it is running does so behind the scene without the need for further intervention. I have had to recover docs which I have lost and it is very easy to do so. Costs about £38 a year and works on PC and Mac.

Worth a look - http://http://www.carbonite.com/
Old 23-12-14, 22:25
Enthusiastic contributor

Cheers, I'll check that out
Old 23-12-14, 22:32
Highly valued member

I backup (copy) my data manually to a separate internal drive each time I save something, and then to multiple externals occasionally.

My daughter uses Carbonite and is able to access files backed up from her laptop on her smart phone.
Old 24-12-14, 08:56
izzit

what you want isn't practical. Internal Sata connectors have a very limited "duty cycle" so swapping cables needs to be kept to an absolute minimum.

If you use a simple backup package to mirror the contents of d:
The files will be constantly available.

You don't say how big the file folder is or how often or how many of the files change ... so microsoft's symc toy could well be all you need.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=15155
Old 24-12-14, 09:13
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzit View Post
what you want isn't practical. Internal Sata connectors have a very limited "duty cycle" so swapping cables needs to be kept to an absolute minimum.

If you use a simple backup package to mirror the contents of d:
The files will be constantly available.

You don't say how big the file folder is or how often or how many of the files change ... so microsoft's symc toy could well be all you need.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=15155
I wasn't thinking about swapping the SATA cables on a regular basis. I run a small business and recently experienced a HDD corruption which meant manually transferring all my 'My Docs' folder off DVDs to the new hard drive it took ages! whilst also trying to keep the business alive and working. If that ever happened again, I just thought the quickest recovery route would be - open the side of the PC swap the cables over and re-boot.

My current D: drive is about 550gb I've never tried to measure the amount of changed/altered data files there is, suffice to say the database is access all the time. I'll check the Microsoft link you gave.

Just to add, I checked out Carbonite, but that is purely 'cloud' and I am not a big fan of the cloud, I like my data in a place where I know it is and can only ever be accessed by me. We have seen recent cases where it is obvious that cloud security isn't good, even cases where it is obvious that the Cloud hosts (Microsoft & Google that I recall) have obviously been scanning files of their customers.
As I am registered with the Data Protection lot, I don't want to weaken my position!
Old 24-12-14, 09:49
Passionate member

Like Izzit I also backup all my important docs using Synctoy. An old program but does what you want.
Old 24-12-14, 10:39
Enthusiastic contributor

Your best option is to obtain a second SSD and clone the C drive to it. You will then be able to substitute the clone for the C drive as you have outlined. You can use the spare drive as a backup for the D drive by simply dragging and dropping the contents of the D drive onto it and then updating the files on it, using the same process, as and when required or on a schedule. All the files will be accessible from either drive so you can simply reverse the process if you have problems with D. I use Drive Clone Free for cloning, although Macrium Reflect and Easeus ToDo are also popular.
If preserving your data is critical to you, you could take a belt and braces approach and obtain additional external hard drives to be kept as an off site backup in case of emergency.
After cloning, always check in Disk Manager as you may have to correct the drive letter(s) of the clone which may have been changed during the process. This applies whichever program you use.

http://www.farstone.com/software/drive-clone.php
Old 24-12-14, 18:14
izzit

Hard drives don't go faulty.... well except when they stop working.
So OK - They don't often go faulty ... Not often enough to warrant duplicating everything anyway.

I always treat the operating system and Data separately.
You image the operating system when it's first installed ... drivers, just your essential software and all the hotfixes. Then you take your image and burn it to DVD.
That way if your system HDD dies ... new HDD and deploy the image.

Data sits on it's own disk or partition ... nothing else ... you duplicate the whole disk to another disk ...every day ... or hour ... or in real time.

Using the "spare" can either be by a substitution ... just stop using d:\work and start using e:\work
Or swap d:\ and then copy e:\work to the new d: disk.

Then replace the faulty drive and off you go.

The other option is to get a two bay NAS and use RAID 1 or (ideally a 3 bay for RAID 5).

A disk fails ... renew the disk and repair the volume ... takes longe
Old 10-02-18, 15:52

I have Norton with backup, problem is it backs up total data every time, meaning I have filled a 3tb HD with only 3 backups. I would like to find a back up software that only backs up data that has changed or been added since last back up. Any ideas?