Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Old 12-02-18, 15:08
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Which Broadband provider ?

I'm just about to call TT as I have been dealing with a major problem caused by a financial institution migrating my accounts to a new platform. Why is everyone in that business so incompetent?
Old 12-02-18, 15:15
Global Moderator

Hope you were able to sort that out and have a successful session with TT.
Old 12-02-18, 16:05
Enthusiastic contributor

Well I spoke to "Michael" who said he was A Case Manager not THE Case Manager who had failed to call this morning.

He said he would run another line check and call back.

He did that and said I was only getting 17Mbps to the Test Socket so it was an Openreach responsibility. He brushed aside any further discussion other than to say their responsibility ends at the test socket and they wouldn't consider another router until I was getting appropriate speed at the test socket. He said he would arrange an Openreach engineer to visit, offering Wed 14th 8am to 1 pm, no possibility of narrowing the timeslot and a 65 charge if I was not in. He will call me Wed afternoon.

So that's it. Wednesday is Valentine's Day and also the last day I could actually cancel, but that would cause worse problems I'm sure.
Old 12-02-18, 16:17
Global Moderator

Your own speed tests show that you are getting more than that at the test socket, but as they are sending out a BT engineer, he will be able to check the wiring at the cabinet and if the phone wire from the pole has also been there for 40yrs, he may even replace that depending upon what he finds.

They probably cannot give a more specific time because the engineer will no doubt have other calls and it's BT who decide when the engineer will visit.
Old 12-02-18, 17:29
Enthusiastic contributor

The phone wire from the pole may be an issue. A few years ago they came round our 3 bungalow cul-de-sac with a measuring pole and said the wire from the pole to my bungalow, which ran partly above the hammer head at the end of the cul-de-sac was lower than was needed under the Highways Act for an articulated lorry to pass under it.

They wanted to erect a pole at the entrance to my short drive. I protested in vain the nothing that big could attempt to go under it as it would hit my fence before the cab actually got under the wire, and it is a private road anyway, not a highway, and the water, gas and electricity ran exactly under where they wanted to put the pole. My neighbour, whose, wire is as low as mine was, but runs only above the gardens agreed that as it was a 4 line wire, he could use half and I could use another and there would still be 2 lines spare, so Openreach extended the wire across our gardens to my bungalow via the neighbour's anchorage point to serve both properties with independent lines.

The neighbour has had Sky fibre broadband for about a year, but only gets 20Mbps, so if Openreach fix a faulty cabinet connection, we may both benefit.
Old 12-02-18, 22:47
Global Moderator

I'd mention that to the BT engineer when he comes.
Old 14-02-18, 12:19
Enthusiastic contributor

Well that was fun! The Openreach man called at 08:10 to say he was on his way and arrived 10 mins later. Had a look round outside. Almost immediately he said "There's your problem. You've got a 'dropwire 6' between the line from the pole down the wall to the inside box and that won't carry fast broadband so I have to replace it"

When we got inside, he discovered our outside bell was connected between the test socket and the master socket (by BT) which he said would cause the slowdown between the two, though it was OK for telephone and slow broadband. He wanted to remove the bell but my wife who does most of the gardening wanted to keep it.

So he replaced the dropwire (it was actually an advantage that the 43yrs old line from the pole had been replaced only a few years ago), installed a new filtered box and connected the bell properly. He then reset the Dynamic Line Management (which limits the speed to the max that the entire line from cabinet to test socket can carry). The cabinet is just over half a mile away. Then using what he called his "3000 test meter", he said we were getting 33.55 Mbps at the test socket. An Ookla test on my laptop showed 33.52 Mbps wireless, though my Link Score is still only 56 and signal strength -48 dbM.

He said he didn't like the HG633 router, but that was not his area of expertise. So if everything remains OK, I guess the job's done.

Thanks for bearing with me through this saga!
Old 14-02-18, 13:21
Global Moderator

Well that sounds like a result and that's a better wireless speed than I've ever had, even with a HG635 - perhaps it's because of an oldish Realtek wireless adapter.

I'll see if I get a better wireless speed by installing Win 10's driver for it.

I assume you still get that speed with the faceplate fitted ?

As you are getting that sort of wireless speed then it's unlikely TT will give you a HG635.

What is your wired speed ?

If the router is still set to auto for the channel, then perhaps you should change it to give you a better link score, but there may be one that will give you a better link score anyway.

Your RSSI of -48dBm is about average and is what I get.
Old 14-02-18, 15:55
Enthusiastic contributor

I have not tried it wired yet as I want to see if anything changes when the evening traffic comes on and I don't want to use it wired anyway. I've got 5 co-channels, but not much activity on them as most people are still at work now. So I'm just running wireless with the telephone plugged into the standard socket on the filtered faceplate, and the router plugged into the data socket. If I took the faceplate off, I'd have to use a filter as well.

The wireless speed through the router and my wireless adapter are so close to the accurate figure the Openreach man got from the test socket that I don't think they are causing a problem. The TT Case Manager who rang about an hour after the Openreach man left said they normally only use the 635 in Commercial premises with lots of users on the same line so they would only replace the 633 if it was suspected to be faulty. I suppose that's fair enough.

My wireless adapter is a Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn about 3 yrs old
Old 14-02-18, 21:48
Global Moderator

Mine is a Realtek 8188CE and the laptop was bought in 2011.

I haven't had time to try the MS driver as I've had mouse problems, but a speed test gave me 31.35 on this AMD machine which tends to be lower than the Intel based one.