Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security news and updates

Old 13-02-18, 22:34
Top contributor

Default Salon website gives you a choice: turn off your ad blocker or let us mine cryptocurre

This article is from Graham C.luley:

Salon website gives you a choice: turn off your ad blocker or let us mine cryptocurrencies
Quote:
IT WANTS TO USE YOUR COMPUTER’S RESOURCES TO MAKE THEM MONEY.

Yup, Salon is giving you a choice. If you don't want to disable your ad blocker, maybe you'll feel comfortable letting it run code from Coinhive which will gobble up your computer's resources to mine some Monero cryptocurrency.

It's an alternative way for Salon to pay its costs, and - quite frankly - may turn out to be more attractive to some people than taking the risk of allowing ads to appear.
Old 14-02-18, 20:15
Top contributor

Default Re: Salon website gives you a choice: turn off your ad blocker or let us mine cryptoc

This article is from Sophos' Naked Security:

Watch our ads or we’ll use your CPU for cryptomining – Naked Security
Quote:
From this week, visitors to the Salon news site who are running an adblocker have been confronted with a novel choice: turn off your adblocker or let it use your browser to mine cryptocurrency while you read instead.

You’re on the horns of a dilemma: turn on ads and be annoyed by in-your-face content you’re tired of (and goodness knows what else besides), or turn on cryptomining and be annoyed by hidden content that sends your CPU into thermal overload (and goodness knows what else besides).
Old 14-02-18, 20:58
Top contributor

Default Re: Salon website gives you a choice: turn off your ad blocker or let us mine cryptoc

I've just seen this report on the BBC News Tecnology site:

Salon magazine mines crypto-cash with readers' PCs - BBC News
Quote:
News organisations have tried many novel ways to make readers pay - but this idea is possibly the most audacious yet.

If a reader chooses to block its advertising, US publication Salon will use that person's computer to mine for Monero, a cryptocurrency similar to Bitcoin.

Creating new tokens of a cryptocurrency typically requires complex calculations that use up a lot of computing power.

Salon told readers: "We intend to use a small percentage of your spare processing power to contribute to the advancement of technological discovery, evolution and innovation."
Old 14-02-18, 21:42
Enthusiastic contributor

There is an easy way to prevent these sites from blackmailing us. Don't use the site. If a web site tells me to switch off my adblocker I do not go back there. I do realise that telling people not to use sites is pie in the sky but if they comply with the order to "switch off their adblocker" then they shouldn't whinge about web based ads and all the nasties that can, and is, concealed in that content.
Old 14-02-18, 22:12
Top contributor

Unfortunately, the alternatives given by this company aren't just about seeing or not seeing ads and 'whinging' in the case of the former. As I've said in the past, I'll turn off my ad blocker or whitelist a site if I have a good reason to do so, otherwise I'll leave the site. In this particular case, you have 3 options:

1. Turn off your adblocker and see ads while you're trying to read.
2. Don't turn it off, but leave the site because you won't be able to view it anyway.
3. Don't turn off your ad blocker, but let them use your CPU for cryptomining.

Go for item 3 if you're desperate to view the site, otherwise dump it.