Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 22-01-18, 08:18
Familiar face

Default Store apps will not install

The Fall update repaired Windows Store (which I have been without for months) except that I still cannot download or update many apps --- there are nearly a dozen pending, due to install errors. A few however, have installed alright. I have tried a number of 'cures' such as using the Store Troubleshooter and resetting the cache. Every so often there is a notification saying Windows has automatically tried and failed to install some pending apps.

Advice would be welcome
Old 22-01-18, 08:59
Global Moderator

Default Re: Store apps will not install

Have you tried the suggestions in this article - https://mspoweruser.com/solution-win...ng-windows-10/

I think it was the Fall Creators Update that changed the default Command Prompt to Powershell.

If yours is like that then press the Windows key - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.
Old 22-01-18, 09:05
Enthusiastic contributor

The problem may be with Windows Update. Go to Settings>System + Security>Troubleshoot and run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
Old 22-01-18, 10:51
Highly valued member

I had the same problem and going to the site in Cantrel`s link, using the first option of clearing the cache solved the problem.
Store now working again.
Old 14-02-18, 19:44
Familiar face

These fixes (and many others) did not work----- but has the Powershell Command provided a clue? It generated an error saying the path does not exist, all in red ink, thus

:\WINDOWS\system32>powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml
Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\WINDOWS\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml' because it does not exist.
At line:1 char:1
+ Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\Win ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\WINDOWS\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNot
FoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager .Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
Old 14-02-18, 21:19
Global Moderator

A repair install may resolve that as there's Manifest damage.

If you don't have Win 10 install media then you can create that by going to and reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

A repair install won't touch your personal stuff or installed programs but it may default some of your apps if you changed any.

When you have created the install media, open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a DVD but will open to its files if using an USB, in which case you will need to double click on setup Application.

This takes about 3hrs on my Win 10 laptops.