Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > All Other Operating Systems

Old 18-01-18, 09:31
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: realistic alternative?

A suggestion. It took me a long time to find my present OS for the simple reason that I didn't know there were "ten million" versions ("distros") based on the generic "Linux". I'd search for Linux and find nothing that made any sense to me, further complicated by all those terminal commands some users like to throw about, presumably to confuse people.

The terminal is an extremely powerful feature, useful when you understand it, but potentially dangerous to your OS if you get it wrong. It's even possible to delete the entire operating system from within that system.

You don't need to use the terminal for most things though, despite all that confusing advice from people who should know better. Linux, like Windows, is a GUI system, and for most users the terminal is a "bonus", something extra in addition to an otherwise fully functional system.

Unlike Windows, Linux doesn't crash (once in ten years perhaps?), and on those rare occasions when an application crashes (they do sometimes), it doesn't take the entire system down with it, forcing a reboot.

That's usually the only time I use the terminal, to close a malfunctioning application so I can get back to whatever I was doing without losing any work and with only minimal delay.

killall firefox
or
killall audacity

Just two examples of terminal commands to close the offending programme and all processes associated with it, as clean as a reboot, but without the associated inconvenience. Firefox even "remembers" what you were doing and re-opens any sites you were on before the crash.

I use Ubuntu because I read somewhere that it was a fairly easy system for Windows users to get to grips with, and now that I'm used to it, I see no reason to change.

Some people swear by Mint, others Fedora. The list of available distros seems endless, and that's the first problem to be overcome by those wanting to switch. Which one do you choose?

The second problem is knowing where to get your chosen OS. There are plenty of people willing to sell it to you, but can you trust them? All Linux distros are open source, which means anyone with suitable programming knowledge can modify it, and not everyone "out there" has your best interests at heart. If you're buying privately, you can't be certain the code hasn't been modified in some way that will screw your machine up.

Why pay for a free operating system?

There don't seem to be many Linux users here, unfortunately, but my suggestion is for those few of us to provide links to the official sources so anybody wanting to switch can find their chosen "distro" without having to worry about whether or not the code has been tampered with.

Here's my link.

https://www.ubuntu.com/
Old 30-01-18, 21:40
Familiar face

Again, thanks for all the comments; I am quite sure that I will at some point before W7 support ends in 2020 (?), give some form of Linux distro a whirl.

For now I will continue the cat and mouse game of ensuring only needed and trusted...(well to a degree lol) MS services run and bolting down the system to strangle what would otherwise a flow of data back to MS.

The point about other companies data habits being even worse is not lost on me; I have never had a google account, dont use social media, am one of the facebook "illegals" that has a fake account which I almost never use, I dont use "smart phones" preferring them "dumb" etc, etc and always use a VPN so I think I do pretty much all I can to remain private.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 31-01-18, 15:14
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
...............so I think I do pretty much all I can to remain private.
Hello,

Well we think thats appalling , terrible, shocking !

Why aren't you giving your real name, data of birth, post code, name of bank, email addresses ?

Are you trying to put the hackers out of business !

As we had over 20gb of free space on our system disc ( backup pc) we decided to dual boot Linux Mint with the existing W10.

Literally just a 10 minute job so now we can switch to Linux just by rebooting and have a play at our leisure and get used to it which like moving to W10, its just a case of using it for some time and it soon becomes as familiar as your old system.

The old saying, if you don't use it ....

The only thing you must do before installing Linux is to take a system backup of your C drive so if anything goes wrong you can restore back easily.
Macrium Reflect and EaseUs To Do will both do that for free.

Assume you have seen Joes other similar post but if you want a step by step guide to dual booting Linux Mint we can give you the simple steps and download links.
http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthrea...=148118&page=4

Just a footnote for anyone reading - during a Windows update something went wrong with the C drive SSD and no matter what we tried with windows we could not boot / access it on that pc or another laptop, though the Bios showed it being there.

We tried loading Linux onto and it just wiped windows and rewrote everything and loaded Linux fine with allowed us to reload a windows backup image back on to it ok.
Old 31-01-18, 16:27
Enthusiastic contributor

The Shadow - How does one create a fake Fakebook account? Sometimes I'd like to find out what my far-flung family members are up to (not really spying - they wouldn't mind), but I'm reluctant to give the CIA (Criminals In America) any information they may not already have.

(note to mods - please delete the above if it breaks any rules)

What I wanted to say is that a Linux disc or USB device can sometimes be used to salvage files from a non-working system. I've never had to do it, but my understanding is that it's possible to "reach across" and copy the wanted files without the need to install whichever Linux version ("distro") you've got. Just run it from a DVD or USB device and copy the wanted files, probably to a memory stick or external drive.
Old 03-02-18, 10:05
Highly valued member

Agree with most if not all that has been said and I sometimes wish my PC style of use would easily tranfer to Linux or Ubuntu.

However I found I was often 'making do' rather than using stuff in the slick way the OEMs had designed their accompanying software to work with their equipment.

My major turn off was not the Linux system itself but hunting for ways to get around not being able to use the software I wanted to use and sometimes having to follow a convoluted root or maybe use two separate applications and command lines (which themselves have to often be hunted down) to achieve the same end result which was achievable quickly and simply with the OEM Windows Software which came with of Kit.

For example I have an HD video camera which can record in Blue Ray. At the time there wasn't all that many about and even third party video editors for windows couldn't (at that time) handle the files let alone recognise and capture even the standard video which were still AVCHD files. As my CPU is i7 and the system 64bit I wanted a 64 bit Editor to take advantage of the i7's multi core threading and the extra RAM above 4Gbs which is of course only accessible via a 64bit system.

Could I find such software for Linux, not a chance, but it wasn't a problem with Windows because the OEM software worked just fine and did what it said on the tin all in one simple program, quickly and easily.

For me, sadly the main drawback with Linux or its offshoots is that if you want software for something out of the ordinary or something specific to a brand of equipment you use in conjunction with your PC, like for instance Cameras you may have to fall back to windows to use the OEM software which came with the equipment. Either that or put it away for 12months or so until a Linux enthusiast developer gets him/herself worked up enough to develop something and even then you are his/her guinea pig trying out the Beta versions

Another unfortunate drawback if full and complete compatibility with MS Office. While Open Office and MS Office will open each others files sometimes fonts are not the same. For general use that doesn't really matter and maybe would even pass a reader by without even being noticed, but if you are using Open Office for some kind of work report or a presentation with a specific and important layout for each page or slide then retaining the same Fonts is often absolutely essential if the work is to be read or presented via MS Office in the way intended. Sometimes, when the intended font is changed the presentation of each page is disarranged and text starts to not marry up with diagrams etc which can then sometimes snowball from page to page.

I know there will now be Linux/Ubuntu software available for what I wanted some years ago but the new equipment thing is ongoing.

Having said all that negative stuff if I was really Pd off with Windows, which can be very understandable at times, and didn't want to do to much out of the ordinary stuff Linux, Open Office, and the third party repos should be absolutely fine with a bit of patience in climbing the initial leaning curve

Post Script, ..I really do admire you Joe-King for taking the one system and make it work for me or be damned approach that is what John Wayne might have called 'true grit' .

I'm afraid I just don't have that persistence or patience especially when I've got the precise software to do just what I want only a click or two away. but then that's the Windows Web Bill Gates has successfully spun and Steve Jobs has taken the trap even on step further.