Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Computer components and accessories

Old 31-03-18, 10:43
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Printer wont print.

I am trying to help a friend with her printer for some reason it wont print i spent time trying to get it going with no luck its a Lexmark 2600 and the laptop is a HP with windows 10 it was Win 8 before and the printer has been working fine she wanted to print a letter and its just hanging and i have tried to delete from the Q but it just stays there i have tried the usual disconnecting the cables etc to no avail when you click on the desktop icon to open the suite you get the first info below i thought i would reinstall and start again then you get the 2nd info so im stuck what to do now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg printer 1.jpg (14.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Capture printer 2.jpg (19.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 31-03-18, 10:50
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Printer wont print.

Just to point out the first photo has always come on when you start the laptop when you click on to try and download the software nothing seems correct for Win 10 i am at a loss as its all about the older OS .
Old 31-03-18, 11:32
Global Moderator

.NET Framework v2.0 is already installed as it's included in v3.5 which is part of the OS.

What I suggest is to go Start - type appwiz.cpl and press enter - Turn Windows features on or off and uncheck the box for v3.5 - OK and then reboot when it has reconfigured the software.

Go back into features and re-check the box where it will have to download from Windows Update to reinstate it with a fresh install.

It may look as if it's hanging on the downloading but just stay with it and then it will apply the changes - OK - and then reboot to see if you still get the alert when you switch the laptop on.
Old 31-03-18, 12:52
Established member

Go to http://www.driverscape.com/download/lexmark-2600-series, download the drivers for Windows 10 and install them, then try again.

The Lexmark site does not list Windows 10 drivers for the 2600 but says use the Windows 8/8.1 drivers, but more or less says they may not work.

If the 8/8.1 drivers do not work, your only options seem to be buy a newer printer or go back to Windows 8. I would personally buy a newer printer, they are so cheap, you can pick one up in Argos for less than 40 quid.
Old 31-03-18, 15:47
Global Moderator

If the .NET Framework is corrupt then that should be all that needs to be fixed, but I wouldn't use that Driver Scape.

If you click on the first Download button you will end up with a driver updater program for which you may have to pay to get the download after it has done its scan and the second Download button is for a driver dated 2009 - hardly a Win 10 driver.
Old 31-03-18, 18:16
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
If the .NET Framework is corrupt then that should be all that needs to be fixed, but I wouldn't use that Driver Scape.

If you click on the first Download button you will end up with a driver updater program for which you may have to pay to get the download after it has done its scan and the second Download button is for a driver dated 2009 - hardly a Win 10 driver.
Good points, I hate these programs that offer you the earth, seemingly free, until you download and install them, then they want money!

2nd/3rd paragraphs are relevant, though. The 2600 model is probably 10 years old, so needs replacing with a modern model. I have an XP760 which is brilliant, but they also do an XP442 which has a RRP of 79.99 but can be bought from Amazon for 49.95. If the OP can do without a screen the XP245 is only 34.99 from the same supplier.

There really is no point in trying to get an old printer to work with Windows 10, as for not much money it is easily replaceable.
Old 31-03-18, 20:39
Global Moderator

Well my Epson Stylus SX425W which required a patch to make it compatible with Win 7 when I bought and installed it in 2010, works fine with Win 10 without having to install any other drivers.

My brother had a Lexmark and while they were selling them cheap, the inks for them were expensive - he may not have known at the time that you can buy generic inks for all if not most printers.
Old 01-04-18, 07:17
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks gents will try at the weekend and let you know.
The printer was bought from Argos about 3/4 years ago and i agree it may be just as well to bin it and buy a new printer the funny thing is the printer has been working fine untill recently with generic ink despite the fact that the alert has been coming on at start up and just ignored i will have one more try as a challenge.
Old 16-04-18, 07:28
Enthusiastic contributor

Well i had a go with your suggestions and sure enough v3.5 was highlighted and unchecked so i got that fixed and clicked on printer icon on desktop and it opened right away which it wasn't doing before so something good had happened so i tried to print and i got alert that there was know communication from laptop to printer and went all the way thro lexmark trouble shooting advice to no avail so i thought i would try and uninstall and start again but as the the document that wouldn't print originally was in a Q still trying to print i was unable to uninstall i tried to get rid of it but it just wont delete so no go there, it looks like a shopping trip for a more up to date printer.
The funny thing is the printer had worked fine before on Win 10 but the gremlins got in .
Old 16-04-18, 07:39
Global Moderator

Can you go Start - type services.msc and press enter then scroll down to Print Spooler - click on it and then on Stop in the left pane and then see if you can delete it in the Q.