Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Computer components and accessories

Old 15-07-18, 16:12
Top contributor

Question Voltage for External Hard Drive Units

I have 3 external hard drives, different sizes and makes internally
of which only the Seagate branded EHD has a 12 Volt Powered supply connected
My question is do the other 2 EHD units (same power socket ) run on 12 volts also? (can use the Seagate drive PSU)

As regard USB Connection Cables (per each unit) all 3 utilise Different USB ports @ the Device end Am good for all 3 types in my Cable spaghetti collection, thanks
Old 15-07-18, 16:45
Highly valued member

Default Re: Voltage for External Hard Drive Units

What are the output specifications listed on both the Seagate supply and the other brand's supply (specifically: voltage, current [amperage], and polarity [positive or negative center terminal]?

I have Seagate Expansion Drive power supplies that I am able to use on Western Digital My Book hard drives and vice versa, as the specifications are the same.
Old 15-07-18, 17:45
Top contributor

They are identical, the Seagate is DC Output Rating ( Voltage /Amp ) :12V 2A
and squinting hard @ the Grounding /earth symbols on the cases they both are Negative earth.The Other case is a Western Digital 1 TB
My 3rd EHD is a 3rd party DIY empty Case Build Containing a Hitachi HD This is the odd one out as its Power supply is via a 12 volt multi pin socket of which The matching devices PSU is Present >Tough to source if that was absent !
Old 15-07-18, 22:35
Highly valued member

Since they are identical, they should be interchangeable.
Old 17-07-18, 18:31
Highly valued member

As Peru said if they are identical then they are identical. The odd man out is your Hitachi home build just because of the DIN connector if the voltage is 12v on that as well.

If the power, polarity and connector are the same the only thing you need to watch is that the RPM per model doesn't pull more current than the PSU can supply.

In your case 2 amps is going to do for either a 500rpm drive or a 7200rpm drive. Tom's Guides and others have plenty of precise, per model and rpm current draw charts, see here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hard...6H3O1drCV6rrM:

Power draw for HDDs is usually stated in watts, excuse me if I'm telling Granny about eggs, but to compare your 2 amps supply to watts.

Watts = Amps x Voltage so your 2amp PSU can deliver 24 watts and the HDD will take what it wants (or should that be 'watt it wants') which will almost certainly be less than half the the capability of your 2amp PSU output.

Unlike voltage it's always better to have more amps available than is necessary.