Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Computer components and accessories

Old 13-05-18, 13:30
Familiar face

Default Before I buy an SSD

I've decided spending £50 on a 250GB SSD for my aging PC is the best way forward. I understand it's 10x faster than a standard hard drive (roughly, according the the sales guff).
No doubt this relies on SATA 3. How do I find out if I have SATA 3. If I have SATA 2 would I get decent speeds, or would I be better off buying a Hybrid HD?

As I'll be building a whole new tower next year, I like the idea of using the SSD for that, it won't be wasted, along with my standard 2TB drive.
Old 13-05-18, 13:36
Familiar face

Default Re: Before I buy an SSD

Speccy says that mo mobo is : Asus P5KPL-AM IN/GB (Socket 775)
but is doesn't mention SATA.

Under 'storage' it says the my HDD is SATA 3 but running under SATA2. I'm assuming if the mobo had SATA 3 the HDD would be making use if it?
Old 13-05-18, 14:46
Highly valued member

Make sure your BIOS supports SSD.
Old 13-05-18, 16:10
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN View Post
I've decided spending £50 on a 250GB SSD for my aging PC is the best way forward. I understand it's 10x faster than a standard hard drive (roughly, according the the sales guff).
No doubt this relies on SATA 3. How do I find out if I have SATA 3. If I have SATA 2 would I get decent speeds, or would I be better off buying a Hybrid HD?

As I'll be building a whole new tower next year, I like the idea of using the SSD for that, it won't be wasted, along with my standard 2TB drive.

I have a 500 gig hybrid hard disk and I can see absolutely no difference in speed when I use it. I do use it as an internal hard drive on my computer which does not have SATA 3. I would imagine that there is a measureable difference in speed but it certainly isn't discernable in my day to day working.
Old 13-05-18, 20:01
Established member

Quote:
Speccy says that mo mobo is : Asus P5KPL-AM IN/GB (Socket 775)
but is doesn't mention SATA.
Hello,

You only have to look the Asus site the boards manual and it states it has 4 Sata3 ports, so a sata3 SSD should run at full speed.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5...lpDesk_Manual/

Have used the first two of these SSD speed testers which easily show if your drives are working at full speed or being throttled in any way.
https://www.custompcreview.com/artic...mance-windows/

When we first tried a Sata3 SSD with a Asus mobo which only had Sata2 ports the speed improvement was still incredible, when we moved to an Asrock Sata3 board, even quicker !

We did try the SSD on an old laptop which surprisingly did have a sata HDD, but it made little speed improvement, clearly the laptops mobo /cpu were just too slow for it.

What are you wanting to build a new tower for, just more modern or for heavy video/gaming work etc ?
With our new Asrock board fitted with a sub £100 i3 cpu, it a good speed increase as well.

OOOPS !!!

Got that wrong your mobo is SATA 2 = 3gb speed
SATA3 = 6gb speed

So a new Sata3 SSD will only run at half full speed, but you will still notice a big improvement over a standard HDD, no idea of your hybrid drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000927.jpg (8.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 14-05-18, 09:14
Established member

I replaced a Samsung laptop HDD for a SSD and the difference is amazing, well worth it for the boot times alone, which are seconds compared to 1.5 minutes.

Meester Chris
Don't all shout at once
Old 14-05-18, 18:11
Familiar face

Quote:
Originally Posted by george29 View Post

Got that wrong your mobo is SATA 2 = 3gb speed
SATA3 = 6gb speed

So a new Sata3 SSD will only run at half full speed, but you will still notice a big improvement over a standard HDD.
That's good enough for now! Any noticeable difference and I'll be happy. At some point next year I'll be upgrading properly and take the new SSD with me.

I'm still a bit confused with the manual. It says there are 4 SATA connectors, and there are definitely just 2. I have to unplug the optical drive to use my back-up HDD.
Old 14-05-18, 20:51
Established member

Hello,

Seems its that IN/GB that makes all the difference

The P5KPL-AM does have 4 Sata, but your P5KPL-AM IN.GB only has 2 Sata but also has the old PATA connector as well.

There are pci plug in boards to provide Sata ports and 1 Sata port to 5 add on boards, but never used either so cannot say if they work ok ?

You could instead get a HDD Sata caddy with a USB connector so making your drive external if thats a feature you want .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000935.jpg (26.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 000934.jpg (10.3 KB, 8 views)