Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 26-02-18, 19:23
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Sony Vaioshell has stopped working

Tom, From Programs File (x86) copied Vaio Control Centre, Vaio Data Restore Tool and Xperia Link - the only thee programs, that I need, on there - onto a flash drive and then copied them onto the other laptop. I didn't uninstal the programs before installing the progs I replaced them but was unable to perform this action with the Vaio Control Center - because I need permission The other programs I need aren't in programs or Programs (x86) so I will have to have a search for those. Got to go now - thanks again for your help.
Old 26-02-18, 21:03
Global Moderator

You can have a read through this article but at the bottom click on the link for Take Ownership Hacks and when that has been installed, whenever you are presented with you don't have permission, simply right click on the file then click on Take Ownership and then you will be able to proceed.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...menu-in-vista/

The Vaio Control Center may include those other items that aren't listed, so use the Take Ownership on that file and drop that in and then reboot to see if they have taken effect.
Old 27-02-18, 12:12
Enthusiastic contributor

Tom, I have followed "how to add take ownership" but can't follow the steps as listed in the left sidebar. In Registry Editor/Computer/Hkey-Classes_Root - I can't vavigate to the key shell listed under Open\With list as they are not listed. The first key I have is .386 yet on the list this key is listed under OpenWithList\shell\\shellex\.001\.386. It does say that this technique works in most versions of Vindows Vista,7,8,10 but doesn't say W8.1 which I wonder why it won't work for me Thanks very much for your help Tom.
Old 27-02-18, 15:16
Global Moderator

That's the manual way.

As I said in my last post, scroll down to near the bottom of the article and you will see a blue hyperlink for Take Ownership Hacks

Click on that - I can't remember what happens next as I'm on a Win 10 machine and I have a specific one for Win 10 installed in that one, but it must have been straight forward, otherwise I would have remembered it as being difficult.
Old 27-02-18, 15:50
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Tom, unfortunately I don't seem to get that. I don't think I am going to be able to take ownership. I have tried clicking right on Vatio Control Centre's Properties\Security and I am not able to edit the Group or user name from All Application Packages to Administrator and have all the Permissions for Administrators allowed - in the All Application Packages I can't get permission to all application packages. Thanks for all your help.
Old 27-02-18, 15:54
Global Moderator

What happens when you click on that Take Ownership Hack link ?

Changing the Permissions to Everyone sometimes works.
Old 27-02-18, 16:37
Enthusiastic contributor

I have got the take the ownership link - I click on Vaio Control Centre\drop down menu includes Take ownership\click on Take ownership\then I think it is system32 that whizzes by very fast. I get the same error message "Destination Folder Denied" I have tried doing both a right and a left click on Continue but can't get move this Vaio Control Centre in Program Files (x86) into the Sony file. I can't understand how I could copy Vaio Control Centre from one laptop to another yet can't move it to the Sony File.
Old 27-02-18, 16:47
Global Moderator

Did you try changing the Permissions to Everyone ?

Was it in the Sony file in the other laptop ?

Can you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and go back to that Sony download site to see if you can install it in that mode, bearing in mind that Win 8.1 disables wireless in that mode.
Old 27-02-18, 17:02
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
Did you try changing the Permissions to Everyone ?

Was it in the Sony file in the other laptop ?

Can you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and go back to that Sony download site to see if you can install it in that mode, bearing in mind that Win 8.1 disables wireless in that mode.
I have tried changing the Permissions but it is not respected and returns to the Default of All Application Packages, that is when I click on Vaio Control Centre's Properties\Security. All the Vaio softwear is in the Sony file in Programs(x86) on the laptop I am copying it from. I have just tried again copying only Vaio Control Centre onto a flash drive and copying to the Sony file and got error 0x800704C8 - The requesed operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open. I am going to go and quietly scream somewhere now.
Old 27-02-18, 17:04
Global Moderator

Ah - if it's open then try the procedure in Safe Mode where all 3rd party programs are isolated and it will no longer be open.

I'm going to have to shoot off for a while now but will be back later.