Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 25-07-17, 21:51
Highly valued member

Default Reverting back to Win 8.

I have been given a Acer Laptop that has been upgraded to Win 10. However, I don't like Win 10. I liken it to moving out of a small house into a large house where the removal men have scattered the furniture all over the place.

The laptop has been primarly used as a games machine by one of my grandsons. It's taken me a while to uninstall most of the games but some games will not uninstall. I also uninstalled a number of other programs I dont need [itunes] and I am now getting a message about a missing dnssd.dll. If I can restore the laptop it's factory settings will it revert to Win 8; which is what it had originally?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that once a PC or laptop has been converted to Win 10, after a certain period of time, it's not possible revert it back.

My desktop PC quite happilty runs Win 8.1
Old 25-07-17, 21:57
Highly valued member

Default Re: Reverting back to Win 8.

PS. I hate the damn tiles.
Old 25-07-17, 22:27
Highly valued member

A factory reset will restore the original operating system.
Old 25-07-17, 23:39
Passionate member

And all the preinstalled software, removing updates back to the status when the computer software image was loaded.
Old 25-07-17, 23:49
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublell View Post
PS. I hate the damn tiles.
Then don't use them ... the choice is yours.

When some folk say that they don't like W10, it's often because they haven't made the effort to configure it to their own preferences.
They are often uncomfortable with change, and can't be bothered spending time finding their way around W10 ... a truly excellent OS.

I've taken a couple of screenshots on Mrs Spit's spare desktop machine.
She liked the standard W7 setup with icons, so she tweaked it to display icons.
Using the Task View icon on the taskbar, she can toggle between two desktops ... one with icons and one with tiles.
As you can see, she has deleted all the default tiles and replaced them with her own shortcut tiles.

On my own machines, I can toggle between my own normal desktop setup to another desktop containing shortcuts associated only with business matters.

No Pain ..... No Gain

Spit
Old 26-07-17, 08:02
Global Moderator

I just uninstalled all of my tiles and the desktop looks just like it did in Win 7.
Old 26-07-17, 10:13
Highly valued member

If you have W10 upgrade installed on the laptop you can have the best of both worlds. I have both on my Main desktop PC mainly because I have software which won't run on W10 but I still use it and would be expensive to replace. From either OS I can access work files on either W7 or W10 and restore anything edited back in its original folder, be it a W7 folder edited in W10 or a W10 Folder edited in W7.

I now just look on the dual OS as one big system. Like Tornado I've altered the look of 10 and often forget which system I am on. What happens at boot is I am just presented with a screen to select either W7 or W10 if I have walked off and left it to boot after a time out period (which can be set) it will load whichever OS I have set as the primary default OS. (NB W8 and W10 have their own dual OS boot manager you do not have to install a third party boot manager)

If it's a gaming laptop it will most likely have a decent sized hard drive.

W10 only needs about 30Gbs to be happy but perhaps an equal share might be the best way to go.

If it was mine I would restore to factory,
(probably install 'Adware Cleaner' and get rid of the pups and 'Wise Uninstaller free' to get rid of anything else not wanted. NB Wise uninstaller has been getting better reviews than Revo and it works on 64bit programs, Revo free doesn't. Your W8 Acer is probably 64bit)

Then once W8 is up and running and fully updated use the W8 partitioning utility to partition the HDD and re install W10 on the new empty partition.

As the laptop has been W10 upgraded you can now always reinstall W10 for free and who knows, you may actually end up preferring W10 and sticking with that.

NB If your BIOS is UEFI you would need to research the pros and cons of doing the above as this may vary by OEM. A W8 Acer laptop I guess could be either but I think it would most likely will be standard BIOS in which case it's fairly straight forward to do.
Old 26-07-17, 10:45
Global Moderator

@ jak - Revo free has been able to deal with 64 bit programs for a while now but I prefer IObit Uninstaller because of its simplicity to use.

I was given to understand that after 30 days from upgrading to Win 10 you couldn't revert back.

One reason was that it removed the Windows.old folder that had your previous system, but also that it removed the Recovery partition, although I could be wrong on the latter.

For that reason, prior to upgrading I created OEM recovery disks and system images for both the machines I've upgraded which will allow me to factory reset either and then restore with the system images.

They have now become obsolete because I have no intention of going back to Win 7 on them - besides, I still have one machine with Win 7 should I need it.
Old 26-07-17, 21:58
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
@ jak - Revo free has been able to deal with 64 bit programs for a while now but I prefer IObit Uninstaller because of its simplicity to use.

I was given to understand that after 30 days from upgrading to Win 10 you couldn't revert back.

One reason was that it removed the Windows.old folder that had your previous system, but also that it removed the Recovery partition, although I could be wrong on the latter.

For that reason, prior to upgrading I created OEM recovery disks and system images for both the machines I've upgraded which will allow me to factory reset either and then restore with the system images.

They have now become obsolete because I have no intention of going back to Win 7 on them - besides, I still have one machine with Win 7 should I need it.
I'm fairly certain I used the recovery partition on my W8.1 Yoga simply because 8.1 works better on a convertible with touch screen and the Yoga was designed around W8.1. I was most unhappy with 10 on that because it lost me some of the Yoga's convertible features which had attracted me in the first place, but it's been a while now and I could be wrong myself. The recovery partition appears to still be there and showing as healthy with something the same size loaded on it. ???

Sorry did I give the impression that I meant revert to Windows 10, as I didn't; I meant a fresh install of W10 for free. You can download and reinstall W10 for free at anytime providing you took the free upgrade to Windows 10. When doing the clean install and you get to the enter licence bit just skip it and you are good to go. Upgraded machine details are held on the MS server indefinitely so no need for a Reg key for W10 free upgrade machines.

I checked that before I dual booted mine ...How? ... I downloaded W10 (after the 30 day period) created a separate partition and installed W10 on there, so I had two copies of ten on the same machine. One the upgrade and two a fresh clean install of 10. I didn't fancy running permanently with an upgrade but I'm funny like that. I know two or three other people who have done similar.

I then wiped the whole hard drive and partitioned it into three. It's quite big at 2Tb. I next used the MS rescue disc to boot and installed a pre W10 back up image of my W7 OS on the left partition, then I used the downloaded copy of W10 to install 10 on right hand partition and Kept a smaller central partition for archive storage from both systems. Of course to be able to edit MS office documents on both systems I installed my three licence copy of Office on both 7 and 10. Actually I had already used the three licences but my argument to MS would have been that it is one machine and the fact that you can't use both partitions at the same time the MS Office software equates to one installation but they have never questioned it so it must just register as the one machine.

Thanks for the Head up on Revo I didn't know they had at last included 64bit compliance, not before time either.

I agree IOBit is good once you get over their previous unethical nicking of Malwarebytes definitions for their anti malware software but it seems they may have now learned their lesson. I think they've had a good kicking over the years. SAS was still flagging IOBit stuff as dodgy last time I tried something of theirs.

Re Wise-uninstaller I read in a mag that in tests it had the edge on cleaning up. Finding a few bits that both IOBit and Revo missed but they all seem to do a decent enough job to me and if Revo now has full 64bit compatibility there can't really be much in it.

I have the paid for version of Revo just because of the 64bit thing so that was why I hadn't kept up with the free one but it's getting on a bit so I will probably give it some of it's own treatment and go back to the free version. Revo has never let me down.
Old 26-07-17, 22:38
Top contributor

Why not give BC* Uninstaller a spin, Jak ? Can be used from Basic to Advanced Modes with lots customisable in-between.

http://klocmansoftware.weebly.com/

*BC=Bulk Crap