Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security news and updates

Old 11-10-18, 07:43
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Win 7 updates

Had the latest updates yesterday but things not the same had a warning some files and settings not done so i had a look Firefox .Facebbook, Webuser. all gone i clicked on firefox they wanted my sign in details etc which i dont remember i have had firefox for years the warning also mentioned look at event log etc so i just restored to last updates .
Old 11-10-18, 21:27
Top contributor

Default Re: Win 7 updates

Windows 7 is well-known for trouble with Windows Update and what happened must have been a real nuisanc for you silly1104, but from what you say, you were able to do a System Restore. It would probably be sensible to run scans for malware with your AV and any other anti-malware scanners you have available. Also, perhaps it would be a good idea to run both CHKDSK and sfc /scannow to make sure your PC is in generally OK. If sfc /scannow shows "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them", run it again and maybe several times and it will probably then show that any problems have been fixed and you'll see this ~ "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them". If not, try using SFCFix. It hasn't been updated for ages, but it should work:

Download SFCFix - MajorGeeks

After all this, have a look at the following thread to see if anything there will help you to make sure that Windows Update behaves itself from now on:

Windows Update failure on Windows 7 - Web User Forums

In the first place though, try running this from Microsoft:

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Although Windows Update usually creates a restore point before installing updates, make sure you've got a recent one before running it in case it all goes wrong.

When I did what's shown in the thread I started and linked to above,it sorted out Windows Update for December 2017 for me and I've had no trouble since.
Old 12-10-18, 11:07
Enthusiastic contributor

I scanned with malewarebyts and all's well so far so good.
Old 12-10-18, 19:18
Top contributor

That's good. If you decide to try Windows Update again, at least try the Troubleshooter before running it and see if you can get the latest updates normally. I'll be interested to know how you get on if you give it a go.
Old 13-10-18, 07:16
Enthusiastic contributor

After the restore on the next boot up the update installed with no problem so all is well.
Old 13-10-18, 13:47
Enthusiastic contributor

I've just seen the new updates this week, but decided to look for anybody having problems first before downloading them, because a mate of mine has had problems downloading his windows 10 update....a related problem perhaps ?
Old 13-10-18, 23:43
Top contributor

I don't know if it would be related exactly to Windows Update problems for Windows 7 users, the same kind of thing I think, but a separate issue NE5. Windows 7 is well-known for being problematic over updates so perhaps it's time Microsoft sorted this type of difficulty out for users of its newest OS.