Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Tablets, smartphones and e-readers

Old 07-12-17, 09:13
Highly valued member

Default Word for Android type App?

Could anybody advise on what is the best for them in a 'Word' type App for Android.

I'm asking if anybody who actually uses one finds it good enough to recommend I'm not asking for links to what is available, I've already been there and would like to hear what present WU members find good themselves.

It's a long time since I used an Office type App on Android, I did like Kingsoft and also Polaris Office years ago (favourite the latter) but things appear to have moved on a lot since then and although Polaris still seems good it seems to now have quite a bit of baggage and plus it isn't free except for the very basics. From one time being number one it appears to have slipped down the ratings.

Reason I'm asking is because this weekend I have the job of educating my elderly big sister (89) on using a word type App on her tablet. She knocking on but still very sharp upstairs but then still has the not uncommon tech blocks to some things but once she's got it she off and running.

She used to use her 18" Laptop for writing letters to old friends (often old style long 3 pagers She used to be a journalist) but since the lappy went Ts up she has settled for her Galaxy Tab 10.1 as her Granny flat has limited room and the large lappy got a be more trouble than sitting comfortably in her chair with the tablet. So when the laptop went faulty she wasn't all that bothered but now gets very frustrated at trying to write something long by email and especially trying to back space etc using the touch screen.

So I've bought her a small bluetooth keyboard and all that is now needed to get her back to communicating with old friends in the style she is comfortable with is a decent Android Word App. preferably one which looks like Word. Come to that is Word for Android worth a punt or is their something better.
Old 10-12-17, 20:34
Highly valued member

Default Re: Word for Android type App?

Despite what I said above, tried a few on my wife's tab including MS Word for Android and although Word is useful if you want a word editor that will sync with your One Drive. Polaris is still top dog for me plus the Polaris complete office suite (Word Excel and Powerpoint) has a smaller footprint than does MS Word only.

Polaris also has a very efficient text reader built in which works by just one tap of the speech engine button on the top menu bar. When tapped it will read whatever text is on the page quite efficiently.