Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Tablets, smartphones and e-readers

Old 08-11-17, 21:14
Familiar face

Default Galaxy tab 2 7" battery

Galaxy Tab 2 7" battery shows only about 20% when charging and will not go any further.
Is the tablet dead or and can it
a) be repaired (battery replaced) ?
b) "kicked" back to life ?
or is it a dodo ?
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-11-17, 15:26
Highly valued member

Default Re: Galaxy tab 2 7" battery

Sounds like the battery is about to shuffle of this mortal coil. When a battery starts to behave this way to a charge there is normally nothing that can be done to rejuvenate the battery.

The Tab batteries are not intended for user replacement but although I have never changed one I wouldn't hesitate in opening up my wife's tab to replace the battery (but then I have worked in electronics for more years than I care to remember). From pictures on the net there appears to be no soldering just a mini connector to unplug. The prices seem to range from about 12 quid up to 25ish. depending on the model and capacity.

If you don't fancy having a go yourself there shouldn't be any problem getting a repair shop to do it for a reasonable fee.
Old 10-11-17, 15:42
Highly valued member

Loads here for around 8 upwards, (replacement kits) check out the seller rating though, number 3 down seems like a better option although he may have shifted position when next viewed and I have only looked at the first half dozen or so.

Also check the battery mAh (discharge capacity) if it isn't stated in the write up use the mouse over zoom to read it on the battery.

No point saving a couple of quid and getting short life battery, if it isn't stated and hidden on the battery picture give it a miss..

4000mAh appears to be the standard battery from what I have seen 4200 may also be available but the extra 200mAh will usually cost more.
Old 12-11-17, 15:22
Highly valued member

Oooops! Just noticed I missed the link from the above post

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ttery&_sacat=0
Old 17-12-17, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Loads here for around 8 upwards, (replacement kits) check out the seller rating though, number 3 down seems like a better option although he may have shifted position when next viewed and I have only looked at the first half dozen or so.

Also check the battery mAh (discharge capacity) if it isn't stated in the write up use the mouse over zoom to read it on the battery.

No point saving a couple of quid and getting short life battery, if it isn't stated and hidden on the battery picture give it a miss..

4000mAh appears to be the standard battery from what I have seen 4200 may also be available but the extra 200mAh will usually cost more.
I read this in the Christmas double issue.

Be careful. There have been no new Samsung batteries manufactured since the tablet came out. I bought a "new" original Samsung battery in December 2016 for my tab s 8.4 on ebay, and when it arrived it was dated the same date as the original tablet manufacture. It showed evidence of having been in a tablet before. I got a partial refund as the seller was also selling part used batteries. Supposedly they all came from tablets that had been scrapped due to damage on delivery or later. Looking closely at photos from other sellers suggested they were all that date.

There were a couple of other makes but around the 40 mark.

My original battery lasted nearly about 18 months. The replacement I bought lasted about 9 months before I got fed up with the battery life. This was the second replacement and it had the same date as the one I'm trying to replace.

The replacement was not hard but prying the case open was very awkward, and the original battery was VERY WELL GLUED DOWN. I watched several YouTube videos first to pick up the courage,and bought a pry tool set.

Unfortunately before I tried this one, the tab s developed a colour cast which I searched and identified as a common issue with a connector to let above the screen that is very expensive to fix permanently. Twisting the tablet works for a few minutes. I'm slightly concerned that the battery removal stressed the tablet and caused this.
Old 24-12-17, 10:45
Highly valued member

Could be a dry joint somewhere, just touching the tip of an iron on suspects would solve that. Spotting a dry joint without test equipment and circuit knowledge can take experience though and running an iron over every joint isn't really a good idea or practical.

A badly soldered dry joint can appear different to an experienced eye but then a soldered connection can also just crack under mechanical stress so this type of connection will often look perfectly OK to the eye unless its a power connection, the only way then, without equipment, is to judge which bit of the circuit would get stressed where when the case is twisted and see if it can be spotted that way.

On the other hand it could be a crack in the printed circuit itself but usually these stay open circuit once cracked but I have the odd occasion when they have intermittently reconnected. These can be very hard to spot on small a dual layer board but sometimes you get lucky. A dab of solder on the split will usually fix it. At worse place a single strand of fine wire across the split and then apply the dab of solder.

None of the above is advisable as DIY though unless you are handy with soldering iron/gun and have a hands free magnifying glass otherwise you will almost certainly make it 100% worse.

Could also be a bad ribbon cable connection. With due respect, I have known some inexperienced people pull a film ribbon cable out without first releasing the clamp and then force the new ribbon into the termination with the clamp still closed this just results in the print being damaged and either no connection made or at best an intermittent one. Some film ribbon will allow the damaged bit to be cut off and reinserted correctly while some others have a specific terminations and wont. Once the end is damaged that was your once only shot.

PS A Li-ion batteries have a shelf life of about 3 years, so even if you get a brand new still sealed one which was manufactured around 2 - 3 years ago there is a good chance it will be nearer the end of it's life than one which has been used in a controlled and proper manner even though of the same age.

You need to be careful buying Li-ions on ebay as it may be a retailer trying to ditch stock before the batteries have accumulated enough shelf sitting time to refuse a first time charge.