Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Tablets, smartphones and e-readers

Old 09-08-16, 10:59
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Transferring photos from phone to computer

Sorry to be back so soon! I have some pictures on my Motorola 4G phone which I want to put on my computer, but when I attach it to the computer using a usb lead, the photos don't show up, as though there are no photos on it at all.

Might this be because my OS is Vista? Or is there some other explanation?
Old 11-08-16, 06:43
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Transferring photos from phone to computer

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141908

I had the same problem my post is on the same page as yours if the link doesn't take you there.
Old 22-08-16, 09:53
Enthusiastic contributor

Sorry for delay in replying - I have been on holiday, and then I replied in the wrong place!

I think I had better start again! My problem is different from yours because I do not have a memory card. I have connected the phone to the computer with a USB cable, but although the phone itself shows up as a 'drive' on the computer, there is no DCIM folder to be seen. The annoying thing is that I somehow managed to access it once, but from then on have been unsuccessful.
Old 22-08-16, 10:12
Highly valued member

Reading this, I think you cannot do what you are trying to do.

See the last paragraph for your problem, I believe, posted 2012, but I think this still applies.

Quote:from http://www.smartmobilephonesolutions...to-memory-card

Saving Pictures from a Motorola Android Smartphone to an SD Card

Submitted by James Bond on Tue, 10/16/2012 - 8:10pm

Do you need to save your pictures and videos from your android phone onto a memory card? These step by step instructions will guide you through the process of moving all of the pictures and videos from a Motorola Smartphone running on the Android Operating System and how to successfully move those pictures and videos onto your memory card so that theyíll be nice and safe from any factory data resets or phone issues. This will also allow you to easily transfer your media files from one device to another should you ever get another android phone.

Youíre in luck too, Motorola phones have a pretty user friendly file management system and with some guidance on how to do it itís actually pretty simple to transfer information from your smartphone onto the memory card. The beginning of this article goes over some of the things to take into consideration when backing up information to your SD Card, if you want to skip that information and go straight to the instructions on how to move and backup your media then click here.

Letís start with the basics and go from there:

Do you have an SD Card?

If you donít have a memory card then you canít transfer your information to one, simple as that. If your phone allows the use of a memory card and your interested in investing in one, which I recommend that you do if you donít have one already, then you might want to decide on what memory card would be right for you and get one. SD Cards are often times very affordable and they can make things so much easier if you ever need more space on your device, or want to transfer media from one device to another, and the best thing of all is that your information is secure. Should your phone get broken or if it malfunctions you wonít lose your data, all you have to do is pull out your SD Card and plug it into your replacement and presto, you got all your info, easy as that.

fosseway.
Old 22-08-16, 21:05
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for your time in supplying the suggestions. My problem is that I do not at present have a memory card and I was looking for ways of transferring photos from my Motorola phone to my computer without one.

I have now stumbled on a way that works: here it is in case it is of use to anyone else. Connect the phone firmly to the computer with a USB cable. On the phone, a message saying ĎUse USB for Chargingí appears, together with 'More Options'. Clicking on 'More Options' will allow the ''Use USB for Charging' to be changed to 'File Transfer'. When this is selected it will allow access to the photos on the phone without any problems.

A pity none of the instructions I came across failed to mention this - it would have saved a lot of hassle.
Old 23-08-16, 06:50
Enthusiastic contributor

Well done and thanks for the tip.
I think when i first set up my moto e you got the opportunity to use the sd card as main storage but it warned you that your sd card could not then be used in another phone in other words not transferable so i didnt use it for main storage.
Old 10-11-17, 14:29
Highly valued member

That has always been the case with Android unless it is a phone with some kind of OEM Android over-write which might automatically switch to the pics transfer option automatically although I have never owned such a phone myself.

On original open source Android you needed to pull the notifications screen down from top of the display and select 'USB Debugging' that was Android 1 & 2, possibly 3 as well, but as Android developed the debugging message changed to a more user friendly, 'select for photo transfer' which when selected allows your PC to read and access the PC and Android compatible files (such as jpeg files) via USB. To let your phone write/record jpegs to the SD again using it's own Android Operating System it needs to then be switched back to the Android OS which happens automatically when you disconnect from the PC.

As both Motorola and the Android operating system are owned and developed by Google it is understandable that there is no over-write of their own system apart from just changing the wording of the original 'USB Debugging' message.
Old 10-11-17, 14:40
Highly valued member

Have I just wasted 10 minutes of my time I've just noticed the date of the OP.

Just to add to this anyway, on the newer Moto phones and some other makes you can format the SD to either the Android file system or FATS. (NB standard Android doesn't much like NTFS).

If you format to the Android OS the phone will then use your SD Card as a kind of over spill car park for the operating system as well as storing pics there. If at a later date you then remove your SD Card or it becomes faulty the system files or app files which have been parked on the SD Card obviously can not be accessed so the phone may become crippled.

If you format to FATS the phone will just use the card to store pictures or other data files which are not critical to the phones function.