Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > General PC-related

Notices

Old 05-07-17, 16:49
Established member

Default Ex-Windows 10 User

I have been Windows 10-less now for two months. I sold my 18-month old laptop before the Creative Update, having not used it since February 2017, and have never been happier than with my secondhand Windows 7 laptop. What a revelation! It is so simple to operate, I know where everything I need is situated, and I don't have oodles of "Apps" to ignore.

I can choose when to install any updates, I can use older 32-bit programs, and its 160GB hard drive is adequate for my needs - who needs a terabyte for normal computing, Internet, accounts package, email, or minimal image correction?

I use SyncToy to backup my Documents and current Pictures to a 500GB external hard drive, and the same external drive to store all non-current Documents and Pictures (and I still have used only 110GB for 15 years worth of pictures). Simple.

Yesterday, I had to visit my brother, who has an identical Windows 10 laptop to the one I used to own. I was horrifed at all the changes made, presumably in the Creators Update, specifcally the Settings (the Control Panel seems to have disappeared). I did not know where to start, and I had previously used 10 for 18 monthsl).

I understand that Microsoft will probably not be pleased that they have lost yet another "customer", but I just cannot understand why computing has to be so complicated. l have been using computers since the Commodore PET in the early 1980s, both for work and pleasure, and things are getting worse; or perhaps I am just getting too old!

But perhaps not - I see that Windows 7 still has approaching 50% of operating system usage on PCs (May 2017) so perhaps I am right and Microsoft are wrong. Incidentally, Windows 10 still has only 27%, two years after it was introduced.
Old 05-07-17, 19:22
Top contributor

Default Re: Ex-Windows 10 User

Everyone has there own reasons for using or not using Windows 10.

I loved XP and I was just as happy with Windows 7. I was very unsure about changing to Windows 10 when it first came out but now I am glad I did make the change.

Yes, there are still little annoying things but I am happy with the system and not had any major problems.

Mount Everest : The British Story
Old 05-07-17, 19:40
Top contributor

Regarding the Control Panel (on W10), it's still there But semi hidden

To reveal it fully, all you have to do in type in Control Panel in the Search box Then Click through on the Icons Took me less than 2 seconds. Link showed before I reached the 3rd character
Old 05-07-17, 21:30
Top contributor

I've never seen or read anything which would encourage me to get Windows 10. I'm happy with Windows 7 and will carry on using it until I'm forced to change.
Old 05-07-17, 22:13
Global Moderator

I've upgraded two Win 7 machines to 10 and while I keep another with Win 7 on it, it rarely gets used except to bring Norton up to date and if I need to refresh my memory on something when helping someone using Win 7.

I wouldn't go back to Win 7 now.
Old 06-07-17, 00:09
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I wouldn't go back to Win 7 now.
Nor would I.

All my machines now have Windows 10 ... including three with the CU.

My oldest desktop machine is a 2006 Dell Dimension 9150 ... built for XP.
I later upgraded it to Windows 7 after upgrading its graphics card and doubling its RAM to the maximum of 4 GB.
It's still operating smoothly after the free upgrade to W10 and has never given me any problems I couldn't fix during its 11 years of faithful service.
A pat on the back to Microsoft ... All my older software and hardware survived the upgrade only with the exception of a password manager.
I'm now awaiting its update to CU ... Can it possibly survive yet another upgrade ??? Can my older software also continue to survive ???

Like others, I was a big fan of both XP and W7, but W10 has been a very good and relatively trouble-free experience for me.

Spit
Old 16-07-17, 11:39
Established member

Yes, but why hide it in the first place, totally illogical, unless one works for Microsoft, of course.
Old 16-07-17, 12:25
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy5051uk View Post
Yes, but why hide it in the first place, totally illogical, unless one works for Microsoft, of course.
What are you referring to
Old 17-07-17, 18:23
Established member

Cantrel - It was a "Quick Reply" to Bedstor, Post No 3.
Old 16-07-17, 13:04
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy5051uk View Post
There's customising or personalising to suit different individual likes/dislikes and if it's not obviously or immediately possible
a 'third-party' will come along and no doubt fill the bill - as was for W7.