Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 16-09-17, 09:10
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Norton and privacy.

I am part of a group who have subscribed collectively to Norton Security. i.e. one of us(not me) paid the subscription that enables a further four users to share the same licence certificate. When I look into Norton it shows that I am signed in with the email address of the person who set it up, I will call him the group leader.

Can anyone assure me that the group leader is not able to see what sites I visit and any of my usernames and passwords please. I hope my question makes sense.
Old 16-09-17, 09:21
Top contributor

Default Re: Norton and privacy.

It seems to make sense that the " group leader" email address shows up. As for the rest of your question, I doubt if Norton would allow the leader access to all accounts. I will let others confirm this or otherwise.
Old 16-09-17, 09:24
Established member

Hello,

We would have though Symantec would have something in place to prevent 5 different users rather than 1 user on 5 devices, sooner or later; though not sure what or how.

More to the point of your question, if you are concerned about your privacy /security , why have you entered into such a group, when for typically 22 ( Argos) you can buy your own secure version of Norton Security Deluxe for 5 devices ?
Old 16-09-17, 09:53
Global Moderator

The email and password is what registers you with Norton so should you need to reinstall from scratch, you will need those details to download and for auto activation.

There's no cross access to other machines other than for that purpose.

However, Norton has a Remove and Reinstall which doesn't need those details if I remember rightly.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/...rProfile_en_us

Should you need to use this to refresh the program, while it says it installs the latest version, when it has installed etc. you will need to keep running the Live Update until it says there aren't any more as they usually come in batches.
Old 16-09-17, 16:15
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks to all for the help and advice so far. It had never occurred to me that the question would ever arise but when I saw the group leader's email address I started to wonder about other things that might be going on.

Thanks again.
Old 20-09-17, 13:13
Familiar face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
I am part of a group who have subscribed collectively to Norton Security. i.e. one of us(not me) paid the subscription that enables a further four users to share the same licence certificate. When I look into Norton it shows that I am signed in with the email address of the person who set it up, I will call him the group leader.

Can anyone assure me that the group leader is not able to see what sites I visit and any of my usernames and passwords please. I hope my question makes sense.
Hi, I would like to address your concern.

no, the group leader do not have access to your information. The only thing he/she can monitor is the status of your Norton product installed on your computer. For example if there is any issue with Norton updating, the group leader can see it on the web portal that he/she has access to. The group leader can then inform you to update your Norton.

As far as the passwords are concerned, if you are using his login (user name, password and vault password, I doubt that any group leader will give you his vault password) yes, all passwords would be saved on the same vault. From your query, I can make it that you don't share the same vault. Do let me know if you need any further queries.

Thanks
Raj
Norton Support
Old 20-09-17, 16:27
Enthusiastic contributor

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply Raj. It was much appreciated and has assuaged any concerns that I had.

Thanks again.