Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 29-08-18, 18:41
Top contributor

Lightbulb How to check that Your Ad blocker is really doing its Job efficiently

Having recently changed My Ad Blocker Program To Ad Killer Plus from Adblock+
I am really pleased with it as When I am visiting a video streaming page It outdo's AB+ when opening the Sub links (origin Unknown) And Having more success than previous attempts The Kodi type URL I Visit gives a choice of between 8 to 12 Links on the menu and with AB+ I'd have perhaps 4 links accessible fast(Some Tabbed ads) and about 2 others hidden behind a Pop up Ad and Touching the "controls" also generates an Ad, sometimes of the XXX variety

Now with this new Program working the Success rate without any interference and NO Popups is 6 (100% clear) and some of the remainder are viewable too . Any ads that remain are the same that you see on places like Facebook/Yahoo and they do not interfere with the viewing, I can live with that.
As for the Tab Ads with XXX all it does now is the Page flashes but keep its Place!
As for Trapped Ads numbers on the URL. The numbers indicated (on the Icon indicator box) they are roughly equal. AKP goes that little further. and I have not used the AKP Block Element link on my right click menu yet.
Old 29-08-18, 20:32
Top contributor

Default Re: How to check that Your Ad blocker is really doing its Job efficiently

I suppose my ad blockers must be working efficiently as I never see any ads!
Old 30-08-18, 14:02
Global Moderator

Default Re: How to check that Your Ad blocker is really doing its Job efficiently

I always like to remind myself now and again just how different my internet experience is compared to what I suspect the majority of computer illiterate folk experience.

Go and surf on the Liverpool Echo website for a few minutes without an ad-blocker enabled and behold in the majesty of blocking ads when you re-enable!

My own blocker uBlock Origin usually blocks at least 100 ads for every page of the Echo I land on!
Old 30-08-18, 16:18
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-McKenna View Post
My own blocker uBlock Origin usually blocks at least 100 ads for every page of the Echo I land on!
Yep - uBlock Origin is the blocker I use too on Firefox and Edge.

As an example, on these WU Forums, with a simple tweak using Block Element, it also removes the ads on the right-hand-side, leaving a full-width page with no white space.

Spit
Old 30-08-18, 16:35
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedstor View Post

As for Trapped Ads numbers on the URL. The numbers indicated (on the Icon indicator box) they are roughly equal. AKP goes that little further.
I think with the 2 different Brands which when you examine the Preset filters closer, you'll find that the Default filter set is not the same. But Gang ,there is another small Problem If you open the Filter List on these 2 also Adguard (which is running on my Yandex.browser page (Free version) partnered with WOT
(Web of Trust)
There is a menu list of almost 90k tick boxes Which is carefully balanced, Ask for advice before you tick anything other than the default
Though ,and its a very tall order you can copy The Default filter setting set across to another App which has this menu and see if that makes a difference? If its a fail then reinstall the App if there is no Reset to default button
Old 31-08-18, 23:17
Top contributor

Quote:
As an example, on these WU Forums, with a simple tweak using Block Element, it also removes the ads on the right-hand-side, leaving a full-width page with no white space.
I remember doing that a very long time ago with a filter in ABP and then having to use the 'Block Element' feature in uBlock Origin when I changed to using it; I did the same thing on Outlook email too. Regarding Outlook email, the following recent thread shows how much UBO blocks there:

Outlook/uBlock - Web User Forums
Old 02-09-18, 14:46
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-McKenna View Post
Go and surf on the Liverpool Echo website for a few minutes without an ad-blocker enabled and behold in the majesty of blocking ads when you re-enable!

This needs a proper comparison test with Different Set ups

By contrast for myself ,The Liverpool Echo only generated an "11" with Adkiller Plus (Clean page left )
And was by no measure the Most Blocked I have made up a quick poll of Popular Newspaper site homepages "returns" using Ad killer Plus and I am entitling the Thread with the apt Prefix QED
Quote:
An abbreviation of the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum". It literally translates as "which was to be demonstrated"
> Google Translate does it even better by saying simply "It can be shown"
Old 02-09-18, 17:01
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
Yep - uBlock Origin is the blocker I use too on Firefox and Edge.

Spit
Greetings, Spit. I use UBlock Origin in FF 61.0.2 (64-bit) and have no adverts on the right of the Web User pages but I am left with an empty white space.
I click on Enter Element Zapper mode in UBlock then click on the cross in the empty space and, hey presto, the space has gone giving me a full width reading page.
However, on clicking another page the space comes back, unfortunately.
How can I make the space disappear permanently, please?
Old 02-09-18, 20:00
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerman40 View Post
However, on clicking another page the space comes back, unfortunately.
How can I make the space disappear permanently, please?
Greetings Roger

I had to backtrack through my old Subscribed Threads and eventually found this old thread ..

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=148790

lizzygraham describes how to remove the white space. I followed her simple instructions and duly removed the white space as you will see.

I suggest that you read through all the pages in the thread.

Post #10
1. Right click an image/space/advert > Block element.
2. A pink overlay will cover selected image/space/advert.
3. Move the cursor to the bottom right corner of the page to reveal options. Click Create
4. Clicking the uBlock Origin icon near to the Address bar, toggles the filtering on/off as
required.
Refreshing/reloading a web page may be required for any changes to take effect.

Spit
Old 02-09-18, 21:04
Highly valued member

Roger - I have returned with more info.

This link shows the pink overlay that is displayed by dragging your cursor down to the right on an element.
In your case, you will get the pink overlay strip on the right-hand side of your WU page.

At the bottom of the overlay, it also shows the Create button that you click on to permanently remove the white space.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/21/ub...e-permanently/

Quote:
You have two options to invoke the blocking functionality of uBlock Origin. You may either right-click on any element in the browser and select the "block element" option from the context menu.
I used the "right-click" option on the white space.

In the future, after a major Windows 10 Update/Upgrade, you may find that the addy space has returned in which case you will have to repeat the procedure again.

Good Luck.

Spit