Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 25-08-18, 19:51
Familiar face

Default Windows update error code 80200010.

iI had 4 important updates listed,tried to install them but received error code 80200010.apparently the BITS could not access the internet for the updates. i have tried the recommended Windows update troubleshooter. but it was still running 7 hrs later,with no result. according to the action centre flag, there are no current issues detected. Can i ignore the code,? i am not Tech savvy,so any complicated processes will send me into orbit. i would appreciate advice on this update problem ,. Cheers.
Old 25-08-18, 20:13
Passionate member

Default Re: Windows update error code 80200010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zornig67 View Post
iI had 4 important updates listed,tried to install them but received error code 80200010.apparently the BITS could not access the internet for the updates. i have tried the recommended Windows update troubleshooter. but it was still running 7 hrs later,with no result. according to the action centre flag, there are no current issues detected. Can i ignore the code,? i am not Tech savvy,so any complicated processes will send me into orbit. i would appreciate advice on this update problem ,. Cheers.

I have one PC that always has problems with updates, throwing up error codes, what I do is copy the KB number of the update then do a search which leads to the MS site and allows you to download the update in question you can then choose to update as it downloads or save it to your drive then run it. This always solves my update problems.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 25-08-18, 20:54
Global Moderator

You could try a cold boot and then try the updates again.

Shutdown then remove all power sources and hold the power button in for about 30 secs.

Connect back up and switch on.

This should reset the services.

if you are using a laptop where the battery cannot be removed then boot up into Safe Mode and then restart back to normal.

Which antivirus program are you using and which version of Windows ?

If using wireless then try Ethernet connected.
Old 26-08-18, 00:53
Top contributor

If you run Windows 7, you could try doing what I did as shown here:

Windows Update failure on Windows 7 - Web User Forums

BITS stands for Background Intelligent Transfer Service and is mentioned in post #1 of the above thread:
Quote:
It's not worth restarting as shown there - it won't make any difference. I then tried going to Administrative Tools>Services and stopped and restarted these 3 items - Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Cryptographic Service and Windows Update. When restarted I had them set to Automatic (Delayed Start), then I restarted the PC. This method can help, it's worked for me in the past, but alas, not this time - I still got the error as shown in the last screen shot above.
Administrative Tools can be found in the Start Menu>All Programs. This is all on Windows 7 so probably won't be much/any use on another OS. The error isn't quite the same,but some of what I did may be helpful.
Old 26-08-18, 11:12
Familiar face

Smile Re: Windows update error code 80200010.

I applied the suggestion from Scrimper,regarding downloading the individual KB numbers. 2 of them were installed as a result. 2 apparently were already on the system ? I am running W8.1. and have F-Secure as protection. As for the replies from the other contributors, i will study their suggestions, all advice can be helpful at some stage. Thanks to All.
Old 26-08-18, 11:43
Passionate member

Glad it helped. One thing to mention is that when you update this way it sometimes confuses windows auto updates for a while until it 'settles down', occasionally windows update might say you have not installed an update or that it failed yet if you check it will have done the update, I think it just needs a little time to catch up!

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 26-08-18, 14:35
Familiar face

Thanks again Scrimper. ! there are still 2 of the updates left on the to-do section, but i doubt they are essential, i had notification they were installed, but they are still shown as an update. Cheers.
Old 26-08-18, 15:28
Global Moderator

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and copy & paste these cmds to the prompt which will reset the update components and should resolve your current problem.

They will auto run except perhaps for the last one where you will need to press enter.

Enter exit to close the cmd window when done.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver
Old 29-08-18, 01:48
Top contributor

That's all shown in the 1st post in my link above and I didn't need to press Enter for any of them. This is what I did and it's possible it's the same in Windows 8.1:
Quote:
There's no need to press 'Enter' as Command Prompt will complete the process automatically. When it's finished, close Command Prompt and restart the PC. This worked for me and Windows Update was running properly.
Incidentally, Windows Update has run both properly and promptly ever since I resolved the problem in December 2017!

It's probably a good idea to run sfc /scannow from time to time too. just to check that there are no corrupted files on the computer. Some info on sfc /scannow:

Use SFC Scannow to Repair Windows System Files
Old 29-08-18, 08:46
Global Moderator

The original error code suggested a connectivity problem which is why I didn't include those cmds in my first post as I didn't think they applied in this case.

Depending upon the error code, those cmds don't always fix update problems.