Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 11-11-17, 11:56
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Acer Aspire E1-572 Laptop

Acer Aspire E1-572 Laptop
This was a 8.1 windows
Now itís a windows 10home.

To the question I have had this for over three years without any major faults, What I am thinking of resetting it back to the factory reset. Will that take it back to the windows 8.1 or will it go back to windows 10?
Has anyone done a similar reset. I wish to Bring it up to date with the new windows 10 latest update
Thanks.
Old 11-11-17, 16:35
Global Moderator

Default Re: Acer Aspire E1-572 Laptop

You only have 30 days to revert to your previous OS after upgrading to Win 10 so a reset will take you back to a pristine Win 10.

Depending upon which you chose, a Refresh will not touch your personal stuff but will remove any programs you have installed and a Reset will remove the lot as a factory reset would.

You can manually update it to the latest version of 1709 16299.19 by hitting the Update now button at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 or you can create the install media by reading the instructions on the same site and proceed as for a repair install, but I'd advise creating a system image onto external media first, although you get 10 days in which to roll back should you get the full recovery options - on one occasion I didn't and a system image saved my ass to update again.
Old 11-11-17, 16:44
Enthusiastic contributor

The OP did mention a factory reset and if there is a hidden partition on that hard drive then a factory reset will put it back as it was when it left the factory i.e. with Windows 8.1 on it. A refresh will refresh refresh the present Windows 10 installation. I think the 30 day deadline for reverting to whatever OS the upgrade was done from has long passed I think but I could be wrong about that.

At the risk of being called a scammer and charlatan you can still get Windows 10 to do full clean install from here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10
Old 11-11-17, 17:01
Global Moderator

Same link as I've posted.

The option in the recovery partition is to go back to previous version, but if you are outside of the revert time, it won't give you the path to the original reset as I understand it.

I'm unable to try it on mine as I removed the OEM recovery partition prior to upgrading, although I created the recovery media and a system image should I ever want to take the machine back to Win 7, which I had to do for one of them recently.
Old 11-11-17, 20:20
Enthusiastic contributor

Many thanks to all.
Will have a good look into your replies.
Ta.stw