Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > All Other Operating Systems

Old 11-11-17, 10:38
Global Moderator

Default Re: VLC on Ubuntu

Perhaps the YT forum would be the place to go for advice.

http://yttalk.com/
Old 14-11-17, 22:13
Familiar face

Thanks for that Cantrel. No time tonight, but it looks promising. I'll give it a try as soon as time permits.
Old 16-11-17, 20:04
Highly valued member

I'm always late for the party, my excuse here is that I rarely look at this forum even through I do use Linux very very very occasionally, although I think the last time I used it Harold Wilson might have been Prime Minister, or at least it feels that long ago.

Clicked on the forum by way of a nervous twitch.

Anyway if I needed to catch a short clip of something and was a bit stuck at the usual way of getting a clip, ie editing I would use a screen capture.

There are plenty for windows of course but my favourites are Icecream Screen Recorder purely because of it's simplicity and quality of recording (with sound) and also Sharex because you can choose to capture the clip in Animated Gif if you prefer and that is particularly handy if you want to capture a short repeating ani. gif file to insert into web page which can be resized to fit the space you have or even slotted between text. I'm sure both are available for Linux but I'm unsure about Ubuntu or are they likely to be interchangeable.

There are free versions of both screen captures which are plenty good enough for me plus the shareX I have is in the portable version which is identical to the fully installed version.

The latest free version of Icecream Screen Recorder has a limit of 10 minutes video capture, but the early versions were unlimited and these are still available via some download sites although unless you van get the right version the early one may not have the 3 second countdown screen before the recording starts. You can record full screen or select a region of the screen.

Don't know if either of those are actually available for Ubuntu but there must be a Ubuntu screen motion capture and if I wanted a quick clip without first downloading and editing the full video that is the way I would go.
Old 16-11-17, 20:50
Familiar face

Thanks for that jak. I've just downloaded Ice Cream from the Software Centre, but it's command line access, so I'll probably have to do a bit of Googling to find out how to use it. At least we seem to be getting somewhere at last after VLC's dismal failure and apparent demise of it's forum. I never did hear back from them.

Sharex isn't available from the Software Centre, but I'm sure I'll find it, especially as it's available in a portable version.

Not sure whether I should be doing this, but as a Linux user, would you be able to advise on my other thread here? As I've said, it's been driving me round the twist for months.

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150174
Old 17-11-17, 18:28
Highly valued member

Hi Joe, (should I reply here or in the other thread I'll plump for here)

just had a read at the other thread and to be honest, no I don't know the answer but if its any consolation I get it too on FF but I don't seem to get it all that often. When it does pop up I just click allow, I quite like the nudge in the ribs to be honest and prefer that to having flash permanently activated due the vulnerabilities. To be again honest I thought it wasn't so much a need to update Flash but a feature of FF56 which would only activate Flash as and when sanctioned by the user. I also recall reading somewhere that in FF settings there is a way to allow flash automatically which then is disabled when not in use, I have never investigated that as I prefer to allow it myself rather than it just run for anything including adverts etc.

The 'pop-up' reminder just makes me stop and think do I really need to run this clip, and am I relaxed about the source.

Also very coincidentally to your post when I loaded FF just now it automatically updated to FF57 Quantum and I quite like it, I'm use to FF updating and then not really seeing any noticeable difference, but FF57 is different. It looks cleaner and seems slicker. Mozilla claim it is twice as fast as FF56 and I can notice a definite spring in its step, in the 'What's different' blurb they claim it majors on security changes, I think FF57 Quantum also majors on HTML5 which I believe negates the need to have browser plug-ins like Flash.

To be honest I can't remember just which sites/clips I have had the flash warning you mention on but I've just now tried to back track a few sites and so far there has been no flash warning, but I can't be sure any I tried were the culprits. Never the less perhaps it might be a good idea to see if you can update to FF Quantum and see how that goes. (in the Quantum write up it does mention a Linux version)
Old 17-11-17, 20:53
Familiar face

Thanks for all that jak.

I'm stuck with FF 50.0.2. I've just downloaded version 57 as a tar.gz, and I've got a similar problem to the apparent impossibility updating Flash. There aren't any instructions, updating or otherwise, and no installation file.

I feel as if I'm unlearning everything I once thought I knew.

I've unpacked the tar.gz file of course, and there's a Firefox executable file, looking suspiciously similar to the kind of thing I used to see in Windows. If I double click on it, a new FF window opens, but it's still 52.0.2.

There's another executable called Updater, but I can't get it to do anything. I tried to get a screenshot to show what the executables look like (the icon), but when I try to paste it here I just get the filename rather than the image.

I've never seen anything like this in Ubuntu, only in Windows, but Windows doesn't use tar.gz archives.

Got to go now, and the (long) weekend's going to be busy, so I won't be back here much before Wednesday, but I'd appreciate any answers you or anyone else can come up with.

I feel as if I'm becoming a complete beginner again.
Old 18-11-17, 09:51
Familiar face

One more point before I go off-line for a few days.

I've installed Icecream, but can't find the terminal command needed to get into it, and there's not much point having something I can't use. I've tried Googling, but there's nothing.

Can anyone tell me what this "secret" command is?

If not, I'll just have to uninstall it next week.
Old 18-11-17, 17:12
Highly valued member

Sorry Joe,

Just assumed it would be straight forward as a Linux version was shown as available, also as you were using VLC as a player the Icecream recording format is mkv which VLC is very happy with but then not all players are and if you wanted to be sure it played on all players you would need to convert to something like WMV or MP4. MP4 would probably be cross platform favourite.

For a quick easy capture ICSR is just that but then there isn't much in the way of settings with the free version and only the one output as above. If you are having to beggar about searching for illusive command lines you might be better off using something different such as OBS Player.

I also have Camtasia Studio for more involved stuff but that isn't free if I didn't have Camtasia Studio I would probably have installed OBS Studio (free) which I have been thinking about trying for a while now.

Although not as versatile as Camtasia Studio, for a free piece of software it does appear to good deal of options/settings and outputs. Plus the bonus for Linux users is that there is an official Linux download of OBS Studio straight from the software producers web page so it might be worthwhile giving it a coat of looking at.

https://obsproject.com/

decent looking preview/tutorial here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHT5rh9kMHo