Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > All Other Operating Systems

Notices

Old 19-09-18, 14:36
Established member

Default Linux Mint User Aids?

Hi, An elderly neighbour uses Linux Mint with difficulty. Does Linux Mint have any aids for somebody with rather poor sight, like those in the Windows operating systems, and where would I find them ? Any help gratefully received
ericg
Old 19-09-18, 18:55
Established member

Default Re: Linux Mint User Aids?

Hello,

Think you will be better looking or posting in the Mint Forum, they are usually very helpful from my limited Linux experience.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/
Old 20-09-18, 08:14
Established member

Yes, the Linux forum is an excellent source of info and help.....But I have to question if Linux was the right choice for your neighbour.....Despite my rather negative opinons about MS and its obsession with user control, it is easy to manage within MS's contraints......Even though Mint is probably the most popular, Linux distros on the other hand are designed to embrace those users who like to tinker and, by definition, solutions to issues raised can be quite complicated.....And I think your neighbours sight issue may well be difficult to resolve in Linux Mint......You could of course connect his/her device to a large monitor, but that will cost a bob or two.
Old 20-09-18, 10:38
Established member

Cool Re: Linux Mint User Aids?

Hi Bally, you are obviously right, but we are here. My neighbour had Vista installed, but had some troubles and called in a repairman who installed Linux Mint, saying Vista was no longer safe. At the age of 80+ with poor sight, limited means and other calls on her time, helping her to see the screen a bit more clearly seemed the simplest answer (if that is an answer?) I will try the Linux forum and other possible sites
ericg
Old 21-09-18, 07:59
Established member

Hope the "repairman" was given a strong thumbs down on his "expertise"......Vista was pretty awful in the first place.....He could have easily extracted the Windows registration key and installed W10.... But as you say, you are where you are, good luck.
Old 21-09-18, 09:36
Established member

Hello,

Think the simplest solution would be to buy an new laptop with a big 15.6 " screen and W10 so she can use all the accessibility features it offers.

Something like this would be miles better than her clearly very old one, but as its a budget model its not super fast, which will be better for her.

https://www.cclonline.com/product/ac...-nx-gkyek-014/
Old 22-09-18, 09:08
Established member

George 29, you are obviously right in one sense, but she would never use 99% of Win10, if she could ever get used to it, plus 6 monthly updates.
A simple hand held magnifier might be the answer
ericg
Old 22-09-18, 09:23
Passionate member

These Youtube videos maybe useful to you:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ility+options+

A change of distro might be advisable but a learning curve is involved which ever is found to be most suitable and usable.

Example:

Old 22-09-18, 16:55
Familiar face

Hi, I use Linux Mint and have done so for a few years now so, upon reading this post I checked the main menu options and under "Accessibility" there are a few options to enable.
Don,t know if the guy would find them useful but he and you could take a look and try them out.
Under Visual--there,s high contrast,large text,screen reader and desktop zoom.
Also tab alongside visual is Keyboard for typing assistance and a tab for some mouse functions which he may require .
These may or may not be useful to him but thought it worth putting it out there for you.
gazz

Linux Mint 17.3 & 18.2 Cinnamon user on desktop machines.
Old 22-09-18, 19:10
Established member

Smile Re: Linux Mint User Aids?

Hi Moonshine and Gazzee, thanks for your suggestions. It looks as though Linux has some assistance which should help. Further investigation will be necessary.
Thanks again
ericg