Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi...

Old 08-08-18, 11:16
Familiar face

Default You are joking.

In this issue of your magazine, which I subscribe to, you have listed in the 'We Like' column
'Restart Live BBC Shows on your TV' by pressing the green button.

This is possibly one of the most annoying things that the BBC has come up with. It appears on every program even if you are only a few seconds late joining it, it is usually a totally pointless invitation as so much content is repeated anyway, I for one rarely use the iplayer in fact I would happy if the BBC was a subscription service as I struggle to find anything worth viewing.

I have contacted the BBC about a fix for permanently removing this intrusive invitation but the BBC apart from acknowledging emails rarely respond to criticism by us plebs.
Old 16-09-18, 16:21
Established member

Default Re: You are joking.

I agree,if the BBC became a subscription service and scrapped the licence fee,I for one would save money.
And that is why they won't!!
Old 16-09-18, 16:44
Passionate member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la...n-live-restart

It only happens if you have "a connected and capable TV". Mine is capable but not connected as I was on a metered connection until recently and haven't yet got round to connecting it, so I don't see the message or have the option. All you have to do to kill it on yours is to disconnect the TV from the internet unless you actually want to watch IPlayer or a channel that is only available online.
Old 17-09-18, 23:56
Passionate member

Did that work?
Old 24-09-18, 09:55
Familiar face

Also they claim that once you sign in on a particular device you only need to do it once. Liars!
Old 24-09-18, 10:06
Familiar face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1 View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la...n-live-restart

It only happens if you have "a connected and capable TV". Mine is capable but not connected as I was on a metered connection until recently and haven't yet got round to connecting it, so I don't see the message or have the option. All you have to do to kill it on yours is to disconnect the TV from the internet unless you actually want to watch IPlayer or a channel that is only available online.
Not 'only' for connected and capable TVs (same URL, my bold):

Quote:
Live restart was pioneered by BBC iPlayer, and has been available to viewers on connected TVs and for web and mobile browsers for some time. Already more than half of people watching BBC iPlayer live on TVs use live restart, and almost one in five BBC iPlayer viewers across all platforms use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
Also they claim that once you sign in on a particular device you only need to do it once. Liars!
If you switch browsers or delete cookies, or if the cookies 'time out', you probably will need to sign in again, that's normal behaviour, not something specific to BBC's iPlayer.