Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 05-01-18, 15:06
Highly valued member

Default Re: Yoga 2 11 note/netbook battery

Yes it does and thanks for the idea.

I have tried turning off fast start up, which as you say is a sort of hybrid (if that's the right word) form of hibernation.

It's the same as full a hibernation state but it only stores to disc essential start up items/settings rather than all currently open work and the conditions/settings of any running software, plus temp files and any stuff that may be cashed or stored to the swap/paging file (or the modern day equivalent of the swap file).

They both should be full shut down conditions but stuff is stored to hard disc as and I am sure you are fully aware, so please excuse me.

I know I'm probably telling granny ... but the trouble with using full hibernate as an alternative to a proper shut down is that cashes are never properly cleared as they would be with a fresh boot, or at least that's the way my aging grey matter understands it. Fast start up only stores essential start up items.

Since XP (and maybe Vista, I successfully skipped Vista) it seems no longer necessary to consider cashes not clearing as a potential problem, so nowadays I'm not really sure what goes on there.

Anyway I have tried it in various setting with 'fast start-up' disabled and it still discharged down to around 10 -20% overnight (ie 8 - 10 hours).

Holding the shift key is a new one on me though, it's grasping at straws time so I'll give anything go (within reason) besides I don't think it would fit up there
Old 05-01-18, 16:12
Global Moderator

I remember at the time of Win 8.0 that people were complaining about it not shutting down fully when they found out about it.

I suppose you could leave fast start up enabled - I have it off on my upgraded Win 10 machines as it ignores the boot order when you want to boot up with an install disk.
Old 05-01-18, 17:05
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I have it off on my upgraded Win 10 machines as it ignores the boot order when you want to boot up with an install disk.
Well beggar me! I didn't know that, one of the problems with a net book is not having a DVD it can only boot from USB (for recovery) and normally this little beggar wont, you need to use the Lenovo one key recovery mode and faff about. It's accessed by booting from a tiny button (not a pin hole) by the side of the normal power button.

Next time I'll try a normal boot with USB plugged in and fast boot off.
Old 05-01-18, 17:26
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
. It's accessed by booting from a tiny button (not a pin hole) by the side of the normal power button.
It sounds like it would be easy to accidentally press it.
Old 05-01-18, 18:02
Global Moderator

To boot up with an USB on a machine with an UEFI BIOS which no doubt your machine will have, you have to go into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot.
Old 05-01-18, 23:49
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peru View Post
It sounds like it would be easy to accidentally press it.
Hi Peru! .. Yes it is easy to hit instead of the actual power button but it's just a small raised bump (about 3mm across) rather than a protruding button, once you get use to it you can easily feel the difference, plus it has to be held down for a good few seconds before it responds and it isn't that easy to press either, the end of your finger wont do it for the length of time required you really need to use your finger nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
To boot up with an USB on a machine with an UEFI BIOS which no doubt your machine will have, you have to go into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot.
On the Yoga the UEFI interface is locked to a limited number of options, you could switch to legacy and do it that way, but it's easier to just use the one key restore interface. This is why I'm not eager to start fiddling with the BIOS.

This was the problem I mentioned in an earlier post which I had with Lenovo support when new. This model of Yoga was new when I got it and Lenovo Support hadn't a clue but I presume they must have got a grip by now.

On their forums there was no end of people who couldn't figure how to boot from USB. I recall a few who were really playing hell and threatening legal action under the 'trade description act' and 'Consumer rights act'. This was because they had no time for windows and wanted to install Linux/Ubuntu but couldn't boot from USB and Lenovo support didn't know either.

At the time I had to fiddle around and work it out for myself.
Old 06-01-18, 09:00
Global Moderator

Remind me not to buy a YOGA
Old 06-01-18, 21:36
Highly valued member

OK! Let me know when you are thinking about it and I'll hit you with something heavy.
Old 06-01-18, 23:09
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
OK! Let me know when you are thinking about it and I'll hit you with something heavy.
I think I'll just stay with my cheap low spec Toshibas
Old 01-02-18, 18:01
Highly valued member

I'm excited...

Since my last post on this I've been trawling through everything in device manager which looked like a power option, switching it either on or off depending which ever the better, then charging to 100% before powering off from the on-screen button, next leaving it for a few days and if no better recharging again and trying it powered down by holding in the power button, I eventually ran out of things to try. So last ditch effort was ploughing through the properties of everything I could find to see if I could spot anything that had been created or updated around six months ago when this battery thing seemed to begin

When I came to Kodi I realised I had updated to Kodi 17 midway through last year. As you will know Kodi is almost an operating system within an operating system with its own power shut down controls, but I know of no way of getting at these to actually see what they are doing when and how.

Anyway I uninstalled my beloved Kodi which really wasn't much of a hardship really because various sources seem set on crippling as much of Kodi as they can and it's component are now frequently unusable.

So after uninstalling Kodi I powered down normally and left it for three days before booting up again and the battery was still at 100% . I put it back in its bag and have now left it a further week and it's still at 97%

I'm almost too nervous to suggest that I may have found the culprit but it's certainly is looking good.