Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 23-12-17, 21:43
Global Moderator

Default Re: Yoga 2 11 note/netbook battery

That's one thing about older cheaper Toshiba laptops - nothing complicated
Old 23-12-17, 23:33
Highly valued member

Best laptop I ever had was a Tosh, just did what it said on tin and did it reliably and well.

When I got this Yoga it was because I'd done Android to death and wanted the ease of a tablet but with the versatility/practicality of Windows in a mobile machine. This was the best around at the time at a reasonable right price. Its the 11" screen not the big full laptop Yoga which I don't really see the point off.

It's really well suited to 8.1 which works a bit different on a convertible. W10 crippled some of the Yoga's convertible functionality so I reverted to 8.1 and was much happier.
Old 24-12-17, 09:58
Highly valued member

So, following on from post 10, after it suddenly jumped up from a little over 40% to full charge and shut down the charging I powered off the Yoga and left it overnight. This morning it is just over 40%, roughly about where it was last night before jumping up to the 100%.

So I decided to see if it would now charge the remaining 60% up to the 100% in roughly the expected time period for that amount of charge.

Couple of minutes after plugging in the charger a security update popped up for Avast. I got it day before coming home but decided to dismiss it until home just in case I got some sort of re-registration problem. So I let the update run while charging but Avast needed to reboot. When rebooted it was up to 100% again .

Powered it off now and leaving it a few hours as I want to see if it charge to the 100% properly as can be best judged and then see what happens after an overnight shut down. I'm now thinking it has to be the Lenovo Energy Manager so I going to ditch that and run it for a few days without the EM installed. If that solves it I'll reinstall the current version for this model and see how that goes.

Looking at the Lenovo site there seems to be different EMs for various Yoga models and Op systems, even some different version for the same model which has model variants.

When I got this Yoga it was sold as W8.1 but on first boot it loaded Windows8 with screen overlay to upgrade to 8.1 which I did because I knew I wanted 8.1 and had actually been waiting for the 8.1 versions to appear on the shelves so I wasn't all that pleased to find I W8 loaded which and had to upgrade.

What I am now wondering is, if there are a few variants of the Yoga EM is the one I've got better suited to W8 rather than 8.1. Anyway all that is just guesswork so I'll just uninstall the EM and see what happens. Probably be boxing day when I get around to that though as I want to first see what happens when I feel confident I have as near as dam it 100% in the battery.
Old 25-12-17, 12:29
Highly valued member

@Cantrel,

Got fed up with beggaring about and just uninstalled the Lenovo EM.

At present I'm letting it fully discharge before starting from square one and doing basic battery calibrate.

Have you had much hands on of this? Do you reckon it is necessary to actually remove the battery for it to cool as you mentioned in an earlier post.

I will if you think it necessary but it's a case open up, which appears fairly straight forward but I would rather keep out if not really necessary.

What just occurred to me is that nowhere in the Lenovo EM destructions does it mention turning off battery save settings during a battery recal.

Rather stupidly I been busily turning on every battery save option I could find. which thinking about it may have really confused the Lenovo EM calibration as things would have been progressively shutting down to save power as the EM tries to measure the rate of discharge. Put it down to another senior moment

So I now intend to turn off everything linked to power saving and do a basic battery recal. but just wondered if in your opinion actual removal of the battery is really necessary to do it properly. As I don't want to be left with any doubts and having to back track. ... Thanks.
Old 25-12-17, 14:49
Global Moderator

I got it from this article which I found a few years back - http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html

It seems authoritative enough.

As you will see from the article, it's heat that is the battery killer.

I don't use hibernate and just use it on battery until it auto shuts down which would be about the 5% mark.

You can use the free version of HWMonitor to see the wear status of the battery.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Use the SETUP ENGLISH button down on the left.
Old 25-12-17, 18:50
Highly valued member

Appreciated! .. Thanks
Old 27-12-17, 15:22
Highly valued member

Thanks for the help Cantrel I think (hope) it may be sorted.

I did decide to set it to hibernate at 5% just because I was going to bed with two hours+ still showing of available battery and wanted to be sure all the settings would be the same when I powered up the next day.

I know it probably wouldn't have made any difference, but then you know! ...

Didn't have time to fiddle this morning as we needed to go out as hadn't really restocked properly since being away as everywhere was just a madhouse and wanted to get around the shops before it became a madhouse once again.

Put it on charge when we got back about 1:00pm (battery now well cool of course) Unplugged it about 30 minutes ago after it seeming to have charged up to 100% at a steady rate without the previous jumping the last 50 -40% in a just a few minutes.

It is once again showing in excess of 6hrs discharge time. 6hrs 10minutes to be precise; when new it was around 6hrs 30mins which is probably about right for the use it has had.

I've now put it to bed so we'll see what it like in 24 - 48hrs.

Cheers! .. I think I may owe you one again.
Old 27-12-17, 15:40
Global Moderator

Fingers crossed
Old 05-01-18, 08:54
Highly valued member

You can uncross them it's back.

It takes two or three days to check it properly and I've got a bit on at the moment so can't devote the time required properly.

Trying different ways and checks trying to get some sort of pattern. Last couple of days I think I've discovered the following.

(Battery at about 20%.) Set power button to 'Do nothing' then held it in until shut down occurred.

In that shut down state, plugged in the charger and left on charge enough hours for it to be fully charged and then unplugged. Didn't power up to check the charge just left it in the same powered off state for three days.

Powered it up and the battery was showing 100% after three days. I used it a bit to look at events log and power settings. The events log just returned a load of untimed errors, I presume this was due to the method of shut down.

It was powered up for about 30 minutes and in that time the amount of charge dropped to 96% but the available time had increased by about 20 minutes (??) my guess is that as the battery was being used it warmed up and the internal resistance dropped. If that assumption is correct then some initial time increase may be normal.

So then I powered down in the usual way using the onscreen power button. Left it overnight and this morning the battery is just above critical.

I now need to repeat this two or three time to see if I get the same results. ie No significant discharge shutting down as above but discharge when powered off otherwise.

My last shot will be charging to 100% and then physically disconnecting the battery molex and seeing where it is after a week or so.

If it remains charged I'll try resetting the Bios and then run a first boot image as upgraded to 8.1 with basic software installed, or maybe even a factory reset but that would be as it came, back to W8 and the free upgrade to 8.1 built in.

Too much on though at the moment it will have to wait a bit.
Old 05-01-18, 11:39
Global Moderator

I seem to remember that Win 8/8.1 doesn't fully shutdown unless you press and hold the Shift key when you click on Shutdown - otherwise you get a sort of hybrid shutdown so that it boots faster.

I'm not sure if you also need to turn off fast start up.

Give that a go.

Last edited by Cantrel; 05-01-18 at 12:56.