Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 21-12-17, 16:49
Highly valued member

Default Yoga 2 11 note/netbook battery

Ideas anybody please? The battery on this bit of kit should last for 6 hours and it did at first and I know batteries deteriorate but this is something other than a knacked battery.

The machine gets used just when travelling and has been such about four times in the last 12 months. When not in use I take it out of it's bag just to check that battery isn't getting too discharged. Just prior to last trip found the battery was down to red almost empty critical red warning level set by OEM default as 7%.

I fully recharged it too 100%, unplugged just before going to bed next morning (about 8 hours later) I checked the battery and it was down to 30% even though it had been shut down on the screen power button, this definitely set to shut down and not to sleep or hibernate

Since I realised there was an issue I have several times recharged it to 100% and left it it powered off for 24 hours in that time the battery is down to about 10% or even less without any use.

I've been through every setting option I can think of that might be using power or waking up when shut down and disabled them but no change. Even Bluetooth and wifi. The discharge when powered down continued.

Then last night I charged to 100% but instead of powering down from the screen button I held in the mechanical power button on the case until the Yoga powered off. This morning battery was still at 100%. I used the Yoga on battery for a few hours and the battery got down to 51% I powered down again from the button on the case returning this afternoon several hours later the battery level was still showing 50%.

When the Yoga boots from this kind of shut down the bios takes longer to load and the OS boot also takes longer. I have to conclude from this that the problem is with the Bios (the default is UEFI)

Tonight I'm going to try disabling fast boot but I'm sure that was the first thing I tried several days ago and it didn't seem to make any difference but I need to be sure.

Anybody got any idea/suggestionss before I start nervously digging around the Bios

(PS The Yoga is running 8.1)
Old 21-12-17, 17:02
Global Moderator

Default Re: Yoga 2 11 note/netbook battery

There may be a solution in this article - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-...f/td-p/1690127
Old 21-12-17, 17:50
Highly valued member

Hell's Bells! that's going to take some ploughing through. Thanks.

I lot seem to be fingering the Lenovo Energy manager but I suspect this might be a red herring. The Lenovo Energy Manager is quite a useful utility and I'm reluctant to uninstall it if not available for download to reinstall if the problem continued without it. Some are saying removing it made no difference.

I suspect the one who found it successful may not have fully appreciated how it works.

It has to be recalibrated (recommended every 2 months) if the calibration get out of sync I think it could be showing full charge when only partly charged and shutting off charge input prematurely. Therefore because its seeing say 25% of actually charge as 100% any small loss of charge will be % amplified in the battery condition status. Anyway I'm ready to give it a try but I will first see if it's available for download if not successful.

Intel's Engine Management also looks interesting but I'll get back to the loads more post I haven't yet read. Just about to go out get'us teas as it's our last night here.

Thanks for finding that.
Old 21-12-17, 21:49
Global Moderator

I didn't read through all of it but they certainly seem to have the same problem as you.

To update the Intel Engine Management, go into Device Manager/System Devices - right click on it and select Update Driver and use the default online search which may find an updated driver - else go to the computer's support site.

Have you contacted Lenovo about this ?

Given the number of people who have experienced this, I would expect them to have a viable solution.
Old 22-12-17, 07:34
Highly valued member

Mornin!

RE contacting Lenovo, In a word Nope! When I first got it I had some problem which I can't now fully recall. It was something to do with making a clean first use image and as a notebook with no DVD just USB with a limiting UEFI interface which was set to prevent USB boot and changing boot order. There was issue with that on the Yoga which I can't now recall fully but they were absolutely clueless. Talk about fob off BS. I discovered there is another way to boot from USB unique to the Yoga but at that time they didn't have a clue.

I've never bothered with them since, but then this model of Yoga was new so much so that they even had trouble identifying the model I had and certainly had no spec details to hand. AS you will know most tech centres rely on an on-line crib sheet/flow chart and if they can't get that on screen they are knackered. But things and people do change so I'll maybe give them another try.

This morning with fast boot off it has retained charged, I must have been in a hurry last time I tried it or something. So that is good news as it may not be Bios related after all. No time at moment as packing but I've got the full 6hrs charge showing which is good as the flight is 5 hours. I'll have another head scratch when we get home. Thanks for the help.
Old 22-12-17, 08:48
Global Moderator

At least that is some progress.

BTW - Where have you been ?
Old 23-12-17, 14:27
Highly valued member

Lanzargrote I lied not 5 hrs but 4.75hrs with a tail wind.

It can be anything between 4.5 and 5, depending the route dictated by ATC and head or tail wind. B knackered last night so just unpacked and off to bed. Then this morning out for the mince pies and stuff. What a flippin madhouse.

Anyway I powered the Yoga up mid flight; suffered the long boot only to be totally hacked off when I found the battery was down to 35%.

This morning I put it on charge and returning just now I checked the charge and it was showing 100% charge, battery normal with with full capacity of over 34000mWh. But! only 3hrs 15minutes of run time available.??? It should be 6hrs when fully charged

I checked the power settings just to make sure I had actually saved the change I made to disable fast boot and I had.

I then closed the Windows power options screen and returned to Energy Manager Display (in just those few minutes) it had already lost 10% of charge but the available run time had increased from 3hrs 15minutes to 4hrs 30minutes, and now in the time it has taken me to type this post the battery reading has dropped to 82% but the available run time has increased further to 5hrs 10minutes ????.

I'm now more than a little perplexed and beginning to wonder if it is the Lenovo Energy Manager after all but this software has worked fine for a long time and as far as I am aware nothing has undated or altered it. I'll try re calibrating it again (only did it last week though) and it takes several hours, ie battery has to be charged with calibration active and then the battery is automatically discharged and left at critical, then the calibration has to be switched off and battery charged again. Pain in the bum but a good useful utility for a travel notebook/tablet system once kept calibrated.

Still now that I am home it might be easier to put a finger on something as only having the netbook while away trying to both research it and monitor what was happening proved difficult. Now at home I can just observe what is happening during charge and discharge while using the desktop to research it.

Still if anybody reading this has any ideas or suggestions they will be more than welcome as I only have trial and error guesswork at the moment.
Old 23-12-17, 14:44
Highly valued member

Just had a rummage around Lenovo and Energy Manager latest version and drivers are available for download. So now that I know I can get it back if I want to, I'm going to read through that thread and the posted links as well as doing a bit more separate research. If a definite solution doesn't turn up I will first try uninstalling Energy Manager to see that does make any difference.
Old 23-12-17, 15:39
Global Moderator

To calibrate a laptop battery normally, you would run it down until it you were told to connect an alternate supply (5 - 7%) - connect the AC and when fully charged, shut down, remove the AC and then the battery.

This allows the battery to cool down so you can then continue on AC for a couple of hours.

Is the battery removable on this Netbook ?

You could try uninstalling the battery via Device Manager then reboot to reinstate it, but with the Energy Manager uninstalled, see how it goes with a standard calibration.
Old 23-12-17, 19:34
Highly valued member

Thanks for that I'll give it a proper coat of looking at tomorrow. Got some visitors at the moment.

There is definitely something wrong with the charging control.

Just now popped into my room to see where the charge was up to on the Lenovo EM. It was just a bit over 40%, went into the bedroom for a few minutes, came back and read your post then had another look at the charge state just to note exactly where it was and was surprised to see it now at 100% and the charge shut off.

Something to get a grip of at last
PS edit, ... something that has just occurred to me is that EM has a battery conservation mode. It is only intended to be used when the Yoga is used for long periods of several days on power only. What it does is limit the state of charge to around 50% to prevent battery damage by it being held in a high charge state without discharge for an extended period. I've only used it once because the Yoga is just a travel buddy.

But now I come to think of it this business seems to have roughly started after that one time use of the conservation mode. It's now definitely switch off I'm now wondering if it's now partly activated somehow, I'll have a proper look tomorrow.