Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 12-02-18, 14:08
Passionate member

Default Malwarebytes

Hi ALL, I have been using Malwarebytes Free for some time now regularly scanning at least once a month. It always reports up to about 40 PUPS which I quarantine. Is it possible to delete the insistent pop up indicating that "the premium trial has expired and I should upgrade now". Can I delete this message or is it the price I have to pay for free scanning?
If my only alternative is to delete the whole programme is there another which would adequately deal with this PUP problem? CCleaner does not seem to worry about it!
Many thanks for whatever advice you guys can give me.

TB
Old 12-02-18, 14:48
Highly valued member

Default Re: Malwarebytes

Cannot answer your query as I use MB Premium which obviously doesn`t have the problem you mention.

However, as you mention it reports PUPs have you tried Unchecky, free from https://unchecky.com/ which removes unwanted other programs (PUPs) from downloads of programs you do want.
I use it and find it to be an excellent little program.
Old 12-02-18, 15:19
Established member

Hello,

We use MWB Free and cannot say we get that persistent message ...?

If you go to its Settings menu you can reduce the time the messages are displayed to just 3 seconds.

Also try uninstalling and reinstalling it, again you can turn off the premium trial straight away in the Settings , Account box.

Might be more prudent to run a full scan at least once a week, and run the Threat scan as often as you like.

As said, its sounds like you are being reinfected if you get the same 40 pups each time you scan ..?

Try running MWBs ADWcleaner for a more aggressive clean.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
Old 12-02-18, 16:43
Enthusiastic contributor

Go to settings and left click. Then left click on the My Account tab. You should see at the bottom of the Malwarebytes box an option to disable the free trial. Click that and it will tell you you have disabled the free trial and are using the free version.
Old 12-02-18, 18:21
Top contributor

Hi TB,

You shouldn't be getting either the continual nagging to "upgrade now" or the same PUPs every time you run a scan. If you do a lot of downloads and install a lot of stuff, follow Roger's advice and get "Unchecky" ~ in fact it's a good program to have regardless of how much or little you install.

I've had Malwarebytes Free for a long time now and I don't see that pop up at all. You could try what pete.i suggests, but if that doesn't do the trick, have a look at the following thread from the Malwarebytes Forums:

Complete removal of "Your Premium Trial Expired" dialog - Malwarebytes 3 - Malwarebytes Forums

Scroll down to the post by dcollins on 14th April 2017and follow the instructions there down as far as and including item 10, see also links below:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...omment=1117385

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...omment=1170332

Both of these links are in the same thread and some people there (PapaBlacksheep and thomas3016) managed to resolve their problem, which was the same one as you have, so it's definitely worth a try I think!

I this fails too, it would be worth considering a clean re-install. Details here:

MBAM Clean Removal Process 2.x - Malwarebytes 3 - Malwarebytes Forums
Old 14-02-18, 00:04
Passionate member

Rogerman40: Many thanks. I like it. It first told me that ‘8 offers declined’? And some other gems but since it “always Scans” I thought that I would get back to that later.

george29: I first saw the time that their messages would display which was set at 3 seconds! Once I was in ‘Settings’ I began to see the light. I installed MWBs ADWCleaner which flushed out some more PUPS (26) plus much other stuff 3 x A4 pages. Thank you for that one.

pete.i: Thank you very much. Right on the button. I don’t know about ‘cloud’ storage but my head must have been up there when I installed the programme.

Madeline: Lovely Lady, thank you so much you put a lot into that search. Thank you for endorsing Roger’s advice, yes, I did install “Unchecky”. Almost an instant install and it got to work straight away. And you suggested I tried pete.i ‘s advice, (it looked simplest!) thank you again. Actually, I don’t download a lot and in recent weeks I have been saving Alexa’s ideas for ‘chatting’, to print out later! How sad is that?

Thanks again everyone, you are fantastic, and on a final scan MWB 44PUPS
and showed up with a ‘scan ID of 1390’ ? Now if they were pedigree I could have made a nice little earner!?
The final word from MWB, “Now Downgrade to FREE (Never Expires)”… I like it.

Cheers! TB
Old 14-02-18, 00:13
Top contributor

Quote:
The final word from MWB, “Now Downgrade to FREE (Never Expires)”… I like it.
That sounds perfect TB, just what you wanted! You won't regret having 'Unchecky'. Always go for 'Custom Install' when it's available, but if it isn't or if you forget, Unchecky will be there blocking all sorts of rubbish you almost certainly won't want! You don't even have to open Unchecky first.
Old 14-02-18, 09:40
Highly valued member

A nice success story all round, so it appears. TB is now one happy poster.
Old 14-02-18, 19:13
Familiar face

I installed Malwarebytes Pro on the advice of a programmer some 5 years ago. It cost £25 as a one-off, for which they downloaded the program and sent me a CD with licence key. I receive updates daily, I run a full scan monthly and it produces a good report, removing PUP,s etc at my request.
Old 14-02-18, 20:47
Top contributor

You can update daily with the free version, run scans at any time which will find and remove whatever malware, including PUPs and PUMs, is found. The main practical difference between the Premium and Free versions is that only the former gives 'real time' protection.

Is a 'lifetime' licence still available these days? I thought that new users of the Premium version now have to renew their subscription annually.