Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 17-12-17, 03:29
Top contributor

Default Windows Update failure on Windows 7

This is something I've experienced recently when Windows Update simply wouldn't run and this is what I did to resolve the problem. First I tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter:

Windows Update Troubleshooter

This found some things, but didn't solve everything as you can see from the results shown in these screen shots:

When I tried running Windows Update again, I got this:

It's not worth restarting as shown there - it won't make any difference. I then tried going to Administrative Tools>Services and stopped and restarted these 3 items - Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Cryptographic Service and Windows Update. When restarted I had them set to Automatic (Delayed Start), then I restarted the PC. This method can help, it's worked for me in the past, but alas, not this time - I still got the error as shown in the last screen shot above.

My next attempt was to go to Accessories>Command Prompt, right-click on it and then on 'Run as administrator'. I then pasted in the following all in one go:

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

There's no need to press 'Enter' as Command Prompt will complete the process automatically. When it's finished, close Command Prompt and restart the PC. This worked for me and Windows Update was running properly. If these 2 methods fail, it's worth trying sfc /scannow. Open Command Prompt, type or paste sfc /scannow and press 'Enter'. If "Service registration is missing or corrupt" was caused by any corrupted system files, this should fix it.

I hope this will be useful for anyone who has the same difficulty at any time.
Old 17-12-17, 07:47
Highly valued member

Default Re: Windows Update failure on Windows 7

Thanks Madeline.
I now have a lappy with Win7 for my Youth Project work and have been cleaning it out of dross. I have never used Win 7 as I have always been lumbered with Vista, Win.8 and Win.1 on PC's that have been given to me, but having bought my own set up, I went onto Win10 and like that very much (so far). I can see why people liked and still like Win7.

Regarding your heads ups??, is that the plural for heads up? ), have been most useful, whilst I have been updating my old lappy.

The useful "idiot sheets", that people put onto the forum for general use, such as Spit's??? infos, should have a Forum location of their own, are they called "Stickies"?, so that people having problems, can put their prob in "Search" and hopefully it would throw up the answer from the "Problems Forum" section. Otherwise this good and useful stuff gets lost in the Mists of Time.

fosseway
Old 17-12-17, 10:51
Global Moderator

When I checked my Win 7 laptop for this month's updates, I was greeted with I must do a search which continued to fail as it was reporting Windows Update service was not started, even though it was set to auto delayed.

No amount of playing around with its settings or reinstalling the service resolved so I ran the update troubleshooter and that fixed it.

That was the first time I've encountered that error.
Old 17-12-17, 19:48
Familiar face

I had the same problem on one of my machines and found the answer here:
https://www.wintips.org/windows-upda...-vista-solved/
Use solution 2 and follow the instructions. It worked for me.
Old 17-12-17, 21:11
Top contributor

I've seen 'Solution 2' on the site mentioned above and it will usually work, what I did was similar but slightly more involved. As far as I know, the 'Microsoft Fix It tool' mentioned on that site no longer exists, so you'd have to use the 'Windows Update Troubleshooter' instead.

Something I didn't mention when I made the original post is that when you've resolved the problem and got Windows Update to run, the first time you do so you'll likely see this:

This is because basically Windows Update has been reset. If you click on 'View update history', you'll see this message
Quote:
You have not tried to install any updates for your computer.
However, all the updates you installed prior to the reset are actually still there, as you'll see if you click on 'Installed Updates' as indicated in the above screen shot.
Old 18-12-17, 23:42
Top contributor

@ Cantrel

This is mainly for you Tom, or any other Norton user, but I did wonder whether the Windows Update difficulty might have been caused by Norton. In November, the Norton version was updated on Nov 13th, "Patch Tuesday" was on the 14th Nov and I had no trouble at all then - all 3 PCs updated promptly and easily, unlike this month! I didn't think of this before until I saw the following thread on one of the Norton forums earlier today:

Unable to access Windows Update | Norton Community

Another possible solution to the Windows Update problem whic I've seen elsewhere is this:

Go to Windows Update>Change settings. In the drop-down menu choose “Never check for updates” and click “OK”. Close Windows Update, reboot, then reopen Windows Update>Change settings, in the drop-down menu choose “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install” and click OK.

I've never tried this, so I've got no idea whether or not it works!
Old 31-01-18, 22:57
Established member

I've just tried this Madeline and it worked a treat! Got all my important windows updates for the past month. i tried this because it sounded the simplest for me to do and as I say ,very successful. Thank you guys, you are all just GREAT! Alex
Old 01-02-18, 00:13
Top contributor

You're very welcome Alex, I'm glad to know that it was helpful for you and that you're fully up to date now.