Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Notices

Old 27-01-18, 22:45
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Mobile Security

I confess to being behind the times with mobiles - I am as reluctant to download banking apps to my S3 Samsung as I am to use contactless cards - for basic security considerations.
Following thought occurred:
I go to some lengths to protect my desktop using a combination of firewall and AV and anti ransomware programs, and am always open to improvements. Windows 7 is frequently updated.
Contrast that with my mobile. I believe that some time back I downloaded an AVG app, which I hope takes care of itself in the background, but nothing much else. A notification popped up recently "Sensitive content detected" prompting me to get an AVG Secure VPN - which I don't understand nor completely trust - it could itself be a con. If I wanted to hack into my accounts I reckon that the route via the mobile (which shares my email) would be a relatively easy way in.
Are my fears misplaced or can and should one devote more energy to improving one's mobile security, and how?
Old 28-01-18, 09:36
Established member

Default Re: Mobile Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain006 View Post
I confess to being behind the times with mobiles
Hello,

We were likewise, so what we did last year was to buy Norton IS, eg. a 3 or 5 device package which includes mobile phones, so we are hopefully fully covered by that.

Will be interested to hear what the answer/s is to your question and if we need take any extra steps ?

From the little we know when using a Banking App, which are said to be very secure anyway, only connect via your Mobile Data link, not Wifi.
Old 28-01-18, 13:52
Enthusiastic contributor

I was quite unaware of the difference between Mobile Data and Wi-Fi links as far as security is concerned. I would have guessed the opposite.

It is one thing to consider what steps to take oneself when using the mobile. Of equal if not greater concern must be to cater for the situation when the mobile falls into the wrong hands particularly if these hands are IT-savvy. I wouldn't want my mobile with banking apps and financial links lying around in someone's lab being hacked into. I'd rather have a peaceful night's sleep than rely on what we are given to believe about encryption!
Old 28-01-18, 19:13
Established member

Hello,

Well a couple of things we know, though sure other can give you a fuller technical explanation and more.

Mobile Data is said to be the most secure as its not wifi in that sense, more a direct connection like a phone call.

Wifi via your own home router, which has been properly password protected etc is about as safe; its the wifi hot spots that are the real danger and should never be used for banking unless you use VPN, though some say even thats not 100% safe ..?

Regarding the phone, assume you are using its Lock? so anyone picking it up cannot get in without the pin number etc .

Similarly you are using good passwords/security methods your bank apps need ?

I think the Android system has something like what Norton offers so you can set it up so if your moby is lost or stolen, you can then send it a message that will securely encrypt everything or reset /erase everything so the thieves cannot use it.

Have a look at this Norton mobile link whicn explains what it does.

Much cheaper if you buy it via Computer Active offers or from Argos , like we dis, which has 5 devices for just 22.99 including mobiles.
Very easy to install and set up.
Expect the other big names do similar like Kaspersky and BitDefender etc.

https://uk.norton.com/norton-mobile-...rtoncountry=UK
Old 28-01-18, 19:54
Enthusiastic contributor

I am sure that my mobile security leaves much to be desired even allowing for there being absolutely no downloaded banking apps on it.
Access to my email is unprotected unlike via my desktop and it is not clear how to rectify this.
The desktop uses paid for BullGuard so I have asked them if this can be "extended" to the mobile. If not there is a free download for the mobile - which may be little different from the AVG which is there now. [Why should protection for mobiles be free when you pay for the same for desktops?]
I rarely hear of firewalls in connection with mobiles. And more often than not you hear of ransomware attacks on desktops, but is there any reason for people not being held to ransom for what is on their mobile?
It would be interesting to read a feature which covers the whole field of security for mobiles. Have I missed one?
Old 28-01-18, 21:26
Established member

Hello,

If you want mobile protection, seems only a few offer it as part of there full pc suites and from a quick look around Norton are one of the few who offer one as a paid for separate item, for their current 9.99 offer seems it a good buy, unless you want to change all your security to them if your BullGuard is about to expire ?

Am sure an article dealing with Mobile security would be enlightening regarding firewalls and ransomware etc though plenty of good info on the web, but you can get bogged down with lots of it, hence us going with Nortons offering, unless anyone can suggest something better ?