Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 25-01-18, 01:17
Top contributor

Default Too Smart To Be Scammed? A test....

Use either of the links below:

https://takefive-stopfraud.org.uk/takethetest

TakeFive
Quote:
Take our test to see if you can find the fraud and know when itís time to say ĎMy money? My info? I donít think soí

Think youíre too smart to be scammed? Think again. Most people think they wouldnít fall for a fraudulent text or email, but criminals are more sophisticated than ever.
Definitely worth a look too:

Take Five - To Stop Fraud
Old 25-01-18, 08:22
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Too Smart To Be Scammed? A test....

Well I did the first test and I got number six wrong. I believe their answer is wrong. If I considered that a message had been sent from my bank I would ring them on the telephone that I have for my bank rather than one they have sent me or I would call in to my bank. I would also admonish them for sending out text messages. I would demand a headed letter. I will admit that banks are making it much more difficult to go to a branch and bang the table but I would NEVER accept a text message from my bank whatever it said.
Old 25-01-18, 09:09
Enthusiastic contributor

I failed numbers 3 and 5, but I'd never respond to a text or e-mail anyway.

If I were to get a message "from my bank", after checking the message for errors or other signs that it may be fraudulent, I'd log in to my account in the usual way. If they have something to tell me, that's where it will be.
Old 25-01-18, 09:48
Passionate member

To be honest I think the test is flawed. Reason is that most sensible people would be extremely wary of responding to any email from their bank even if it is genuine.

If ever I receive an email from a bank I am 100% suspicious even if it is genuine.

Recently I tried to transfer a large amount to another bank and they tried calling me on the phone without success then sent an email asking me to call them urgently.

The reason I didn't answer was that it was a caller 'withheld the number' call which we don't answer, but after getting the email I checked and they had also left a message on the phone.

I was fairly sure it was genuine because I was having trouble transfer the cash so I was aware so to speak, even so I checked the banks tel number on the banks website to confirm the one in the email was genuine.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 25-01-18, 22:31
Top contributor

I don't think number 6 was wrong. They said 'We will send you a message' and gave the number from which it would be sent. In the message, they didn't ask for any specific details, just whether or not you recognised the details.
Old 25-01-18, 22:46
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
I don't think number 6 was wrong. They said 'We will send you a message' and gave the number from which it would be sent. In the message, they didn't ask for any specific details, just whether or not you recognised the details.
I disagree.
Phone number ID can be modified by a technologically savvy scammer. I would not feel comfortable receiving a phone call from my bank unless I was speaking to somebody I knew personally.

I would be more comfortable calling the bank using a known good phone number than being called by the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
Well I did the first test and I got number six wrong. I believe their answer is wrong. If I considered that a message had been sent from my bank I would ring them on the telephone that I have for my bank rather than one they have sent me or I would call in to my bank. I would also admonish them for sending out text messages. I would demand a headed letter. I will admit that banks are making it much more difficult to go to a branch and bang the table but I would NEVER accept a text message from my bank whatever it said.
I agree with you.
Old 25-01-18, 23:02
Top contributor

They didn't ask you actually to ring the number though, presumably they gave it so that you could see it was from them. All the same, I'd never get a text message from my bank since they don't have my mobile number.
Old 26-01-18, 10:02
Passionate member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
All the same, I'd never get a text message from my bank since they don't have my mobile number.

Same here.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys