Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Hints and Tips

Old 24-11-17, 21:07
Top contributor

Lightbulb What's the Leader on your Data Usage List? (W10)

Did you realise that your Windows 10 Machine keeps a live Running total Log on the Last months (30 days) Data Usage. Makes a League list up as to what App is using individually too.

To see this Number and the breakdown of that number into App numbers
Type in Data on the Start Menu then Click on the Data Usage Overview Item. then in the Next window Click on the Data Usage link in the sidebar.
I am up to 63 GB when I Posted this (Up about 30 GB on dialup) and Includes NO Networked Devices /WiFi . Imagine the Router Logs that , but that is Current session only
To see the League list Click the See useage details link Beneath this and No Prizes for my #1 It's Google Chrome with 59.6 GB followed by System with 2.01GB
Only Gripe I cannot make it reveal anything other than Ethernet The drop down box is Changeable (to ?)>locked why ?
Old 20-01-18, 09:42
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: What's the Leader on your Data Usage List? (W10)

63GB in 30 days seems a lot Bedstor. Are you sure you aren't being wirelessly hacked?

I don't use wireless anything, but last autumn I found "my" usage suddenly increased by about 2GB a day at a time when I was being extremely careful to stay within my limit.

The router turned out to be the problem. It still had wireless enabled, and a previously-trusted "repair" man was hacking into it for some reason best known to himself, costing me money in "penalty charges" for exceeding my bandwidth limit.

He'd been stealing bandwidth for a couple of months before I realised what was happening.

I've since disabled wireless access to the router, and that was when I found his laptop registered (is that the right word?) as a user.

There's a lot more I could say about that (offspring of unmarried parents), but I've stopped him now, and I'll find someone else if I need any future repair jobs or modifications.

More than twenty years of trust destroyed in a revenge attack on my computer because I didn't give him full access to my files, followed by two months of bandwidth theft. He's made thousands out of me over the years, but he won't be getting another penny.
Old 20-01-18, 19:47
Top contributor

Arrow Re: What's the Leader on your Data Usage List? (W10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-King View Post
63GB in 30 days seems a lot Bedstor. Are you sure you aren't being wirelessly hacked?
The Amount is generated by the way of having 2 PC's online most of the Day and They include on my PC I move several GB Daily(up and down) on a Project Manager App in the background
I Do not download much besides The Windows updates Not A PC Gamer) However My Brother (other PC) uses Torrents for his Gaming ...A very slow Mirror site Updating system When I tried it out many moons ago (on W98)
OK for small files but Even with Broadband It has to be Fast to Be worthwhile

The 3rd device that is now heavily reliant on Broadband is my PS4 and that Auto updates often in the Background by default. In its favour, it is very fast and does have the Fast download App method of auto saving to a Temp folder which is isolated and announces sometimes it is ready to install (Or it auto installs on the Fly).I personally like this Feature
On the older Playstations I have owned (2&3) the same (where available) and the RJ 45 cable is connected It has to be made manually(Have to wait until its finished), whereas the PS4 is both Wireless and has a RJ45 internet socket (Never used!) I have it linked Wirelessly to an (TP-Link) AV-600 Powerline Homeplug (600 MBps) which is Slightly obscured (Line of sight) for signal 10 yards away in the same room .and I did not have to do any setting up on the PS4 Ethernet/internet settings whatsoever
Old 22-01-18, 18:20
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: What's the Leader on your Data Usage List? (W10)

Thanks Bedstor. It all makes sense now (not that it's really any of my business). I just thought 63GB was a lot, on the assumption that it referred to a single user.