Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Software updates & recommendations

Old 15-10-17, 15:02
Highly valued member

Default Creating Image Backups Using EaseUS Todo Free - October 2017

Image Backups Using EaseUS Todo Free - Version 10.6

Hi Folks,

Backing up your computer should really be a routine practice nowadays. External drives are now reasonably cheap so itís even better if you have two (or three) external drives. This will allow you to create your backups alternately (belt-and-braces) on each drive to also cover the possibility of an external drive failing.

If your system succumbs to the escalating Ransomware threat, and your files become encrypted, a system backup may be your only salvation to recover your precious files and photos.
The same applies if your PCís internal HDD fails unexpectedly and has to be replaced. You would simply replace the drive with the new appropriately sized one, and then use your latest Image backup to fully restore your PC back to the state when you created that backup.

Creating an Image of your [C:] drive to an external drive allows you to store this image along with other images (and other files & folders) at the same time (see below).
Whereas, creating a Clone of your [C:] drive to an external drive would first delete all your other stored backups along with your other files & folders that you may have already stored. It would literally clone one drive to another.

The only time that I would consider cloning a backup is if I became aware that my PC hard-drive was failing and had to be replaced with a new one. Even then, an Image backup would do the same but without these storage complications.

If your external drive also contains backups of other computers, you should add a prefix to the default Plan name to identify each computer when creating backups.

Mrs Spitís main W10 desktop computer is one I built for her. I then upgraded her older Dell machine to Windows 10, and she networked them per Homegroup with selected shared editable folders.
To identify her backups, she added Dell as a prefix to one computer, and New PC to the other.

External Drive [G:]

I have a number of networked W10 machines, two of which are synchronised and dedicated solely for business use, so I prefer to keep my backups as simple as possible and not make them a complicated, onerous chore. I canít cover all the other features of EaseUS on this thread so no doubt you will want to explore them once youíre happy with these basic procedures.

I donít bother using the other available options File Backup, System Backup, Smart Backup, Clone & System Clone. The Mail Backup is not available in the free version.
I simply make full Image backups fortnightly without scheduling, and without adding differential or incremental backups on top of existing backups.
I prefer not to use Incremental backups as IMO they bloat backups with a chain of inter-connected, inter-dependent increments that increase the chance of a backup failing during the Recovery process.

I find it much easier and quicker to just make a fresh Image each time.
I normally keep the latest two backups of a machine on each external drive, and manually delete the oldest one each time after I make a fresh backup.
Between backups, I temporarily store important new stuff in a high-capacity pen-drive and/or a folder in Dropbox.

Here are the few numbered steps I use for my no-frills Image backups Ö..

1) Open the EaseUS Todo program after you connect your external drive.

2) Click on the Disk/Partition Backup option (see below).

3) Select the partitions that you want to include in your Image backup. I usually select all partitions.

4) Type-in your Plan name and your backup Description.

The destination drive letter (external drive) is displayed by default if you connect your external drive prior to creating your Image backup, though you can also navigate to it if required.

5) Click on the Proceed button.

I always then check the integrity of my backups. I like to confirm that theyíre going to work when I really need them.

Check Image

From the Advanced drop-down menu, select the Check Image option.

Click on the Finish button.

Thatís it Ö job done Ö just a few clicks and a few typed letters.

It really doesnít get any simpler than that Ö so why complicate things?

Emergency Boot Disk

This will allow you to boot into EaseUS Recovery and allow you to restore a backup in the event that your machine cannot boot into Windows.
However, if your machine is able to fully boot into Windows, you can then Restore your backup from your installed program.

This Win PE (Windows Pre-installation Environment) is provided by Microsoft, and the disk contains a truncated, lightweight version of Windows together with a version of EaseUS. It downloads only the components that you need to rescue your system.
During the creation procedure, you will have options to create your Rescue Media on either CD, DVD or a USB device. Personally, I always use DVDís.

You have choices when creating a disk. See here for details Ö..

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...ware-winpe.htm

The above link will explain and illustrate the differences between a WinPE Bootable Disk and a Linux Bootable Disk.

Insert a blank CD/DVD.

From the Tools drop-down menu, select the option Create Emergency Disk.

Click on the Proceed button.

Click on the Finish button. My optical drive automatically opened when the burn completed.

I did not require the use of a third-party burner to create my Win PE boot disk.
During the above procedure, the W10 inbuilt CD/DVD burner kicked-in without my intervention.

It goes without saying that you should then functionally test your Disk or USB Device to confirm that you can boot into the EaseUS recovery environment. Be patient, this can take some time, so donít assume that the disk or device has failed if it doesnít load immediately.

When time permits, I will continue on this thread with the procedures for Recovery.
That is, recovery when Windows has fully loaded, and also when Windows cannot load and you have to use your Win PE Emergency Boot Disk to access the EaseUS recovery environment.

I use both EaseUS Todo Free and Macrium Reflect Free but if I could have only one, I would pick EaseUS Ö though neither of these programs has ever failed to restore The Spit Familyís Images when we needed them in all the years we have used them.

Very good additional info here Ö..

https://www.lifewire.com/easeus-todo...review-2617911

In the forums rules there is a 16 image restriction per post, so that will do for now Ö yawn.

Regards, Spit
Old 15-10-17, 16:41
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Creating Image Backups Using EaseUS Todo Free - October 2017

I you find the image count is not enough for your tutorials, you could include some together so they count as one:

Old 16-10-17, 12:48
Highly valued member

EaseUS Recovery Procedures Ö With Windows fully loaded.

1) Open the EaseUS Program.

You will see a scrollable list of previously created backups. I have decided to restore the latest backup New PC Backup 13.10.17(1). (see below)

2) Click on the Recovery option on the right.

You therefore shouldnít need to use the option Browse to Recover to navigate to your backup.

The Disk/Partition mode should be selected by default. (see below)
All four partitions have been selected to be recovered.

3) Click on the Next button.

In this case, you did not need to navigate to select your backup, but if you had clicked on the Browse to Recover option, you would see something similar to this Ö..

You will now see a summary of your Recovery selections. (see below)

4) Click on the Next button.

You are now warned that the Recovery procedure will overwrite your current installed partitions.

5) Click on the OK button.

6) To start the Recovery of your backup, click on the Proceed button.

Iím not taking the procedures further as this will trigger the Restore operation.

However, as you can see, itís a very simple process. You might want to try this out to confirm that you can navigate to, and select your backup Ö but stop short off clicking on the Proceed button.

When time permits, I will post the Recovery procedures to cover the scenario where you cannot fully boot into Windows, and you are forced to use your EaseUS Emergency Boot Disk or USB Device.
As Windows will not be loaded, I will have to take a few photos instead of screenshots.

Good Luck, Spit
Old 17-10-17, 13:27
Highly valued member

Test your EaseUS Todo Emergency Boot Disk

Very important … Don’t neglect to functionally test your Emergency Boot Disk (or USB Boot Device).
You may have to depend on it if you find that you are unable to boot into Windows to recover an Image backup.

With my external drive connected, I inserted my blank DVD into my optical drive, and then restarted this machine.

I selected to boot from my DVD/CD-ROM drive.

This can take some time before you boot into the EaseUS recovery environment … so be patient.

As you can see below, I have successfully booted into the EaseUS recovery environment.

I have selected the highlighted backup that I want to recover, and to start the process, I would click on the Recovery option.

To confirm that I can also navigate to my external drive to view all my other backups etc. I have now selected the Browse to Recover option.

By the way, I tried using this disk to boot another two Windows 10 machines.
The boot disk also worked on them, though I usually burn a boot disk for each machine.

So I’ve functionally tested my boot disk ….. Have you tested your disk ???

Spit