Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Web Browser Software

Old 30-12-17, 01:29
Top contributor

Default Opera 50 will have a built-in cryptocurrency-mining blocker

We shouldn’t have too long to wait for this as a Release Candidate is already available for Opera 50. More info from a ZDNet article and from Opera’s website:

​Opera just added a Bitcoin-mining blocker to its browser | ZDNet
Quote:
Norwegian browser maker Opera has launched the beta version of Opera 50, the first popular browser to integrate a built-in cryptocurrency-mining blocker.

The feature offers a new defense against the rise of cryptojacking or browser-based cryptocurrency miners that use a site visitor’s CPU without gaining the owner’s consent.
Opera 50 Beta RC with Cryptocurrency Mining Protection - Opera Desktop
Quote:
Opera’s big number 50 release is edging closer to its stable release. Today, we are delivering the release candidate, which includes an innovative anti-Bitcoin mining feature, extended VR360 support for Oculus and Chromecast.
Old 30-12-17, 09:52
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Opera 50 will have a built-in cryptocurrency-mining blocker

That is good news for us Opera users.

Only wish they could sort out the new VPN which is worse than absolutely useless. It used to allow choice of 6 names countries and downloaded at 78Mb/s for me. The new one only allows areas (Americas, Europe, Asia) to be selected and seems to present sites in Russian or Ukrainian at a max speed of 1Mb/s (if you are very lucky).
Old 30-12-17, 22:20
Top contributor

Quote:
That is good news for us Opera users.
It certainly is!
Quote:
Only wish they could sort out the new VPN which is worse than absolutely useless.
I don't use the VPN very often, but I noticed it had changed. If you have a look at the Changelog for the latest beta version - 50.0.2762.42 - it shows changes which are being made to the VPN there.

Changelog for 50 - Opera Desktop

I think the 2 most relevant ones are these
Quote:
• DNA-65899 Support additional VPN locations for testing
• DNA-66257 VPN ‘Select virtual location’ translations
If you want to find all instances of VPN, or any word(s) on a page, press Ctrl+F and type into the box which appears whatever it is you're looking for. In Opera, it showed 9 instances of VPN, the first one was highlighted in green and the others were in yellow.

Incidentally, if you go to Settings>Privacy & security, under VPN it says
Quote:
VPN connects to websites via various servers around the world, so your connection speed might be affected.
Old 31-12-17, 11:22
Enthusiastic contributor

Hi Madeline

I had seen the references you quote however nothing explains the real problem. It is proving to be a very upsetting problem for very many people.

Check out

https://forums.opera.com/topic/23878...problem-now/23

and

https://blogs.opera.com/desktop/2017...d-renewed-vpn/

for a flavour of what lots of users are experiencing.

The main problem is that Opera does not seem to want to talk about the problem so users get frustrated and annoyed.

A slow down from 77Mb/s to around 1Mb/s is not a small problem particularly when the Opera blurb advertises Opera's VPN as fast.

I have solved my problem by taking out a subscription to NordVPN at US$99 for 3 years ($2.75 a month).
Old 31-12-17, 23:12
Top contributor

I'v had a look at the links Alan. The present situation isn't at all good and reading the forum thread wasn't very encouraging either. Since the sale of SurfEasy to Symantec is fairly recent and the Opera blog says
Quote:
Moving to Opera data centers

In the past, the VPN service was hosted and operated by SurfEasy LLC, a company recently acquired by Symantec. We have looked into the best options for hosting the service and came to the conclusion that the browser VPN service should be moved to our own data centers. This is becoming reality now and we’re excited about this change. Here’s why: as you probably know, Opera has vast experience with hosting big server infrastructures. This means the co-location of the browser VPN service to our data centers is expected to result in increased performance, scalability and balancing capabilities, while allowing us to keep it a free and no-log service. Furthermore, we are confident that the improved VPN service will be of higher quality and performance. This update to VPN was first introduced to our developer version on November 30 and we are now rolling it out in the stable version of Opera 49.
I'll be interested to see how this develops and if the new VPN improves its performance in the coming weeks/months. I suppose people could always try the 'SurfEasy Proxy' add-on which is still available:

SurfEasy Proxy extension - Opera add-ons
Old 01-01-18, 14:09
Enthusiastic contributor

Hi Madeline

Yes that was a possible answer but it is data limited on the free version to 500MB per month and works out expensive on the paid for version at $3.99 a month compared to $2.75 and NordVPN is the best service in the world according to all the reviews. It certainly has a massive number of locations available all over the world and the software is simplicity itself.
Old 02-01-18, 01:38
Top contributor

I don't use the VPN much, so the free version with its data limit would do for me. All the same, if I wanted or needed to use one frequently or all the time, NordVPN looks excellent to me and that's the one I'd go for. I've been reading about it on their site and it not only looks very effective, but also good value for money. Here's a link for anyone who'd like to learn more and perhaps sign up for it:

Best VPN Service Provider | #1 Editors' Choice | NordVPN

I'll still be interested to see how the built-in Opera VPN improves over time.
Old 03-01-18, 23:51
Top contributor

An article by Graham Cluley on Bitdefender's 'HOTforSecurity' site about Opera 50's cryptocurrency-mining blocker:

Opera browser updated to stop crypto-currency mining – HOTforSecurity
Quote:
The last year has seen a rise in the number of websites hogging visitor’s CPU and browser resources by surreptitiously mining for cryptocurrencies while you surf.

It’s worth bearing in mind that even if you don’t use the Opera browser it’s possible to block crypto-mining through third-party ad blockers that subscribe to the NoCoin filtering list.
Old 06-01-18, 01:36
Top contributor

Quote:
...NordVPN is the best service in the world according to all the reviews. It certainly has a massive number of locations available all over the world and the software is simplicity itself.
That certainly seems to be the case from what I've read and judging by the review below from Tech Advisor too, you've made an excellent and the best choice Alan!

The Best VPN Deals December 2018 - Tech Advisor