Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Hints and Tips

Old 30-11-17, 18:34
Top contributor

Thumbs up Tried one of the Live Downdetector URL's?

Looking beyond the www.downforeveyoneorjustme.com url How about putting a bit of meat on the bones of that outage? Copy the website name and go to http://Downdetector.com
Even on its Home Page (Scrolls down almost forever!) There are 100's of Live links to show the State of the outage situation The Link when clicked Goes to a Live status map even declaring the Towns/cities

And that's just the Tip of the Iceberg, there is a slew of country Mirror Sites for Local countries
Example for TalkTalk you are best with http://downdetector.co.uk/ select the link which will take you here(Not TT's own status page which is often difficult to access)
which has a Live Forum (does crosspost) and, Also an updated map Link which works sometimes . Impressive yes?

Here are the Full 32? list of the Mirror Zone Sites (Ireland is one of these) Note the slight domain name change at several locations
Quote:
allestörungen.at | allestörungen.ch | allestörungen.de | allestoringen.be | allestoringen.nl | aussieoutages.com | canadianoutages.com | downdetector.ae | downdetctor.cl | downdetector.co.nz | downdetector.co.za | downdetector.com | downdetector.com.ar | downdetector.com.br | downdetector.dk | downdetector.es | downdetector.fi | downdetector.fr | downdetector.hk | downdetector.ie | downdetector.in | downdetector.it | downdetector.jp | downdetector.mx | downdetector.no | downdetector.pl | downdetector.pt | downdetector.ru | downdetector.se | downdetector.sg | downdetector.co.uk | downdetector.web.tr |
PS Coincidentally on the site I have seen a New RSS Link for notifications to Alexa (Never seen that before) >Its live Status is also covered on the index as Amazon Alexa
Old 19-01-18, 17:30
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Tried one of the Live Downdetector URL's?

Aren't Alexa and Amazon Alexa two different things, Bedstor?

My understanding is that Alexa is a rating system. I don't understand it, but it's currently showing this forum as 78,146 in the UK, whatever that means.

(That's via the Firefox add-on "Flagfox")

I believe Alexa is also the name given to that "talking thing" from Amazon that gives politically-approved answers to spoken questions. No thanks! I can get that from 'er indoors.

I once saw a video of people having a bit of fun with it, where it was giving answers that were provably untrue in some cases, doubtful in others, but always politically "correct".
Old 19-01-18, 18:54
Top contributor

Default Re: Tried one of the Live Downdetector URL's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-King View Post
My understanding is that Alexa is a rating system. I don't understand it, but it's currently showing this forum as 78,146 in the UK, whatever that means.
Indeed I don't understand the Alexa "device"/Amazon angle either
The other rating (in its original design) also Linked to Amazon now https://www.alexa.com/
I used to use that link a lot when I was on Windows 95/98 when I Looked up the Reliability popularity also If the Link was Up or Down.
This was before WOT (and the like) Began
from what I can recall The lower the Number the Higher the popularity and the Star Rating System was an influence then
Looking back on it some Websites were ' Clicked" up the list and reduced their League rating So some busy obscure foreign search engine like Baidu will be above Google