Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 11-10-18, 23:01
Top contributor

Default Two Windows 10 feature updates a year is too many

This article is from Ed Bott writing for ZDNet:

Two Windows 10 feature updates a year is too many | ZDNet
Quote:
Opinion: The idea of delivering two full Windows 10 upgrades every year sounds great on paper. In practice, the Windows 10 upgrade cycle has been unnecessarily disruptive, especially to home users who don't have the technical skills to deal with those updates.

Microsoft's twice-annual timetable for Windows 10 feature updates is extraordinarily ambitious. By historical standards, in fact, it's downright audacious. Beginning in early 2017, the company committed to delivering two full feature updates to Windows 10 each year, one in the spring and one in the fall.

s that development and release cadence, with a full Windows upgrade every six months, too fast? More importantly, is it reasonable to demand that Windows customers keep up with that breakneck pace?
Ed Bott makes some good points. I imagine a lot of Windows 10 users find the frequent updates somewhat daunting.
Old 12-10-18, 05:46
Highly valued member

Default Re: Two Windows 10 feature updates a year is too many

You are dead on there Madeline. After the latest debacle, one a year is to many. Luckily I escaped it but it would be interesting to know, World wide, how many it did effect?

fosseway
Old 12-10-18, 07:29
Passionate member

Quote:
. . . . how many it did effect?
An estimated one one-hundredth of one percent (0.0001%) of version 1809 installs were affected.

Have a read of the link in this post:

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showpost....30&postcount=1
Old 12-10-18, 08:26
Established member

That seems like a really tiny percentage, but if the number of Windows 10 installations exceeds 600 million, claimed last year by the CEO of Microsoft, then the number suffering data loss could be more than 60,000 and that is going to lead to a lot of complaints.

David
Old 12-10-18, 08:50
Passionate member

If that estimate is correct, then yes, it is a really tiny percentage.
The data loss issue is/was affecting those that had manually updated their version of W10 to 1809 and not the total claimed W10 installs.
Old 12-10-18, 09:56
Passionate member

I think it is good that MS update the OS regularly however I do wish they would incorporate some useful features when they do, it's probably only me but of all the feature updates since W10 was released none have been any real use to me or made any difference to my computing experience!

Now if they were to do a proper update to Notepad, create a really decent clipboard (such as Yankee Clipper which I still use) or do a new version of their now discontinued but much loved Movie maker I might be a bit more appreciating of the updates.

I know MS have got some kind of movie editor in photos but it is useless compared to the old Movie Maker that was bundled in Windows essentials.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 12-10-18, 10:04
Passionate member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNewton View Post
That seems like a really tiny percentage, but if the number of Windows 10 installations exceeds 600 million, claimed last year by the CEO of Microsoft, then the number suffering data loss could be more than 60,000 and that is going to lead to a lot of complaints.

David

Obviously the 1809 update has received a massive amount of negative media attention, however it the figures are correct 60.000 installations causing issues out of 600,000,000 installs is very low and nothing like the problems caused when a brand new OS is launched.

Anyone who loses files will understandably be very annoyed but time and time again people are advised to back up their data before any major update yet continually people ignore the advice and are shocked when they have an issue.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 12-10-18, 11:23
Established member

I agree with the original poster (Madeline) and have said in previous posts that two updates a year are too many; MS should let things lie for a year or so now, to let the system settle down, i.e. no Feature updates until autumn 2019 at the earliest - there is already more bloatware in the OS than most users will ever use.

PS: 60,000 may very well be a small number compared to the number of users, but that is still 60,000 potential phone calls to MS and 60,000 potential letters of complaint to WU and other magazines, which generates a lot of bad publicity. The old saying goes something along the lines of "it takes years to generate good publicity, but very little time to generate bad publicity".

"The fool's not the one with all the questions
It's someone who believes they have the answers"
(Vasi Vallis, Henrik Iversen)
Old 12-10-18, 12:34
Passionate member

scrimper

If itís Windows Live Essentials 2012 you are wanting, click the link below to download it.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System...als-2012.shtml

During the install process, you may get an Error: 0x800c0006.

This is because only the English (UK) language is installed. The installer needs a US version installed and set as default display language.
To overcome this, go to Settings > Time & Language > Regions & Language (*Language) > Add a Language > English US > Follow the prompts.
*Path is slightly different in 1809.

When Windows Essentials 2012 has been installed and confirmation is seen as well as the program being checked, the language can be swapped back.
I have had this version (Movie Maker/Photo Gallery) in W10, currently 1809 for sometime although they donít get used now.
I have just installed Movie Maker/Photo Gallery in 1803 (in a VirtualBox) and it seems to work fine after adding the English (US) and set it to default. You must Sign-Out/Re-Start before the change is made.

Last edited by Moonshine; 12-10-18 at 13:03.
Old 12-10-18, 15:40
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
An estimated one one-hundredth of one percent (0.0001%) of version 1809 installs were affected.[/url]
Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt MS say that 60,000 users were effected? As the total number of users is estimated at 600 million, isn't that where the 0.0001% comes from? Or were 60,000 users who actually updated effected, in which case the percentage would be much higher.

In the absence of knowing the numbers who actually updated to 1809, we do not know the extent of the problem. Or are all the figures estimates or interpolations of actually a very small sample?

"The fool's not the one with all the questions
It's someone who believes they have the answers"
(Vasi Vallis, Henrik Iversen)