Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Open Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 14-09-18, 07:29
sjw's Avatar
sjw sjw is offline
Enthusiastic contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Wales
Posts: 470
Default Re: Windows 10 con!!!

Hello good morning to all.
Been reading the posts regarding Microsoft edge etc, I use edge myself I did try google a while back but went back to edge. Does one think if you have been using google for a long time you get used to the setup,Then when you have a go at edge or Firefox you tend to go back to google.
Like myself went back to edge, What do you find with using edge that sends you back to Firefox or other.
Thanks.
__________________
Have A Nice day.
Treat Your Password Like A Tooth Brush, Don’t Let Anybody Use It. And Change It Every Three Months.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14-09-18, 08:52
bob.gas's Avatar
bob.gas bob.gas is offline
Highly valued member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hampshire.
Posts: 1,553
Default Re: Windows 10 con!!!

Looks as though they've dug their own grave.
__________________
Laughing is good exercise.. It's like jogging on the inside.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14-09-18, 08:54
bob.gas's Avatar
bob.gas bob.gas is offline
Highly valued member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hampshire.
Posts: 1,553
Default Re: Windows 10 con!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw View Post
What do you find with using edge that sends you back to Firefox or other.
Thanks.
Interesting, I'd like to know that too
I guesss for me, it's familiarity with F/F and Palemoon etc
__________________
Laughing is good exercise.. It's like jogging on the inside.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14-09-18, 10:01
scrimper's Avatar
scrimper scrimper is offline
Passionate member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Gloucester
Posts: 1,121
Default Re: Windows 10 con!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw View Post
Hello good morning to all.
Been reading the posts regarding Microsoft edge etc, I use edge myself I did try google a while back but went back to edge. Does one think if you have been using google for a long time you get used to the setup,Then when you have a go at edge or Firefox you tend to go back to google.
Like myself went back to edge, What do you find with using edge that sends you back to Firefox or other.
Thanks.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. One gets used to a particular browser you use it long term then you decide to give another browser a try but even though that 'new' browser may be faster or better you are not familiar with it and you soon are glad to get back to what you are used too.


I am a Firefox user but my Grandson is a Chrome addict, I avoid Chrome as much as possible because I don't like the way Google dominate. I have never been a fan of IE or Edge but that's not to say they aren't any good.
__________________
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14-09-18, 10:06
scrimper's Avatar
scrimper scrimper is offline
Passionate member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Gloucester
Posts: 1,121
Default Re: Windows 10 con!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCGuru0805 View Post
M$ - that great philanthropic organisation that everyone thinks is brill; shows it's true colours AGAIN!!!

TBH I don't think that is true, most of the stuff I read about MS online is anti Microsoft and to many Bill Gates is still 'public enemy No 1' even though he is no longer in charge of the company and has given huge amounts of his cash to charity.


I am just glad that if a company has to dominate it is not Apple or many of us would not be able to afford computing and have very little choice in what we can run on our computers.
__________________
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14-09-18, 12:48
tornado's Avatar
tornado tornado is offline
Highly valued member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Stirlingshire
Posts: 1,777
Default Re: Windows 10 con!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimper View Post
I think you have hit the nail on the head here. One gets used to a particular browser you use it long term then you decide to give another browser a try but even though that 'new' browser may be faster or better you are not familiar with it and you soon are glad to get back to what you are used too.
I agree with this.
As you say, most folk are reluctant to change from what they are used to, even though it is a change for the better.

I abandoned IE11 ages ago because I found it very slow, clunky, ever-problematic and unable to handle long scripts etc. nor allow embedded YouTube videos in forums. I fail to understand why anyone would still want to use it. Perhaps it's their comfort blanket.
I often use Firefox but restrict myself to only a few add-ons. I prefer to keep my browsers lean-and-mean, unencumbered by a plethora of “must-have” extra add-ons that inevitably gradually slow-down browsing.

Mrs Spit and I now have Edge as our default browser on all our machines. It is the fastest, least-problematic browser that we have ever used.
It is still “work in progress” and is gradually increasing its available list of extensions. I expect that this will be further enhanced after the pending W10 October upgrade.

If folk spent a bit of time to customise and configure Edge, I think that they will have little to complain about.
As an example, I’m on one of Mrs Spit’s machines. As you can see below, she has added folders and individual websites to her long list of Favorites. She also drags these up and down to the order she prefers.
In our opinion, this is as good as Firefox, but more visually pleasing, and changing tabs or websites is almost instantaneous. We keep our Edge Favourites up-to-date, and occasionally export them to Firefox Bookmarks to keep them manually synced.



Don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it.
It doesn’t have to be one or the other … you can use both … horses for courses.

Quote:
I avoid Chrome as much as possible because I don't like the way Google dominate.
We're not fans of Chrome either.

Spit
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14-09-18, 13:45
bob.gas's Avatar
bob.gas bob.gas is offline
Highly valued member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hampshire.
Posts: 1,553
Default Re: Windows 10 con!!!

interesting Spit.
I would try Edge, but am on windows 7 at the moment.
So Pale moon is my default. I haven't loaded it with add-ons neither.
It satisfies my needs for now.
__________________
Laughing is good exercise.. It's like jogging on the inside.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14-09-18, 21:54
PCGuru0805's Avatar
PCGuru0805 PCGuru0805 is offline
Established member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mid Wales
Posts: 218
Default Re: Windows 10 con!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimper View Post

I am just glad that if a company has to dominate ....
That's the whole problem...accepting that any company has some right to dominate.

If the automotive industry decided to re- invent the internal combustion engine, "just because it could" would you happily accept it? If that engine was bigger, less efficient and used a fuel that was more expensive, what then? If they did that every few years or so?

The basic principle that if M$ say it is necessary that the vast majority accept that as gospel; that's what annoys me....... and I couldn't give a monkey's ******* if Bill Gates was still in charge or not, truth is, M$ don't give a **** for anyone other than themselves.
__________________
—-—----—------------------------------------------------------------

I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death, the right for you to say it - Voltaire.
An Argument (debate) is an intellectual process: contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says - Monty Python
Name calling and personal insults do not enhance your argument, it proves you've lost it -PCGuru0805
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14-09-18, 22:33
scrimper's Avatar
scrimper scrimper is offline
Passionate member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Gloucester
Posts: 1,121
Default Re: Windows 10 con!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCGuru0805 View Post
That's the whole problem...accepting that any company has some right to dominate.

Actually if you read what I said I did not accept that a company has a right to dominate, what I said was IF a company has to dominate, which is quite different!
Of course I don't agree that it's good for any company to dominate as it limits competition, the point I was making is that I am glad that Apple does not dominate in the OS business.


Quote:
The basic principle that if M$ say it is necessary that the vast majority accept that as gospel; that's what annoys me....... and I couldn't give a monkey's ******* if Bill Gates was still in charge or not, truth is, M$ don't give a **** for anyone other than themselves.
MS make software that people seem to like to use, it's a little unkind for you to suggest that most users are useless and just accept what is offered.
Your post indicates that you hate MS with a passion for some reason but you need to understand that the majority of companies are 'in it' for themselves they are not charities. I ran my own business and although we did the best we could for our customers the main reason for running the business was to make us money to live on, I suggest most companies including MS do the same.
__________________
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 15-09-18, 22:28
PCGuru0805's Avatar
PCGuru0805 PCGuru0805 is offline
Established member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mid Wales
Posts: 218
Default Re: Windows 10 con!!!

Do I hate M$? I think "hate" is too strong a word, but do I distrust them? Absolutely!!!

Do I think they have a right to develop their product - for sure.

I have absolutely no issue with companies making a profit (I would seriously argue that Corporation Tax is an unfair tax, but that's a whole different can of worms) but I do believe that companies have a duty or care....... and multi-national companies that sell an international product have a greater duty of care.

M$, in my mind, show no duty of care. They charge (heavily, in my opinion) for a product which they are happy to abandon whilst still in use by their customers - no other multi-national gets away with this.

I have given an analogy of my 16 year old Mercedes before, so I won't repeat it again here, BUT for M$ to abandon their customers and decry previous versions of their software to try to get yet more money out of a captive market, is nothing to do with a company that has corporate sense of morality and everything to do with a company that simply doesn't care about their existing customer base and is happy to rip them off with their latest offering.
__________________
—-—----—------------------------------------------------------------

I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death, the right for you to say it - Voltaire.
An Argument (debate) is an intellectual process: contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says - Monty Python
Name calling and personal insults do not enhance your argument, it proves you've lost it -PCGuru0805
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Search the forum

Search

© Dennis Publishing Limited Licensed by Felden





All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Dennis Publishing 2010, All rights reserved