Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > General PC-related

Notices

Old 13-09-18, 07:45
Enthusiastic contributor

Exclamation Laptop USB port burnt and smoking - pencil stuck in it!

A family member had the laptop on the sofa and a stray pencil got stuck in an USB port/socket. After a while she could smell something and smoke was coming out of the socket. Realised it was a pencil stuck. Now the socket is partially damaged with some burnt plastic - sniffing near it you can smell the burnt plastic.

With at least 2 other USB ports available, one not working is not an issue but is there any precautions or advice I should take on board? Should I cover the socket with sticky or electrical tape as it's now "out of bounds" for example? Otherwise the laptop appears safe to use - I have got all bits of the pencil lead out of the port and there's no more burning or smoke.
Old 13-09-18, 09:49
Highly valued member

Default Re: Laptop USB port burnt and smoking - pencil stuck in it!

This reminds me of the constipated mathematician who had to work it out with a pencil.

To be honest vista, I cannot see anyone advising you to carry on using it. Anything electrical where smoke, melted plastic and electronics are involved, shouldn't be used until checked out properly.
You would not forgive yourself if you let a family member use it and they were hurt by it.

fosseway
Old 13-09-18, 10:55
Enthusiastic contributor

Melted plastic is probably not a problem but if any of the pencil lead (Graphite) is still there it is a conductor and could also result in a short circuit. To be honest I am surprised that this occurred as a pencil is usually larger diameter than the access to a USB port.
Old 14-09-18, 00:42
Top contributor

Quote:
I am surprised that this occurred as a pencil is usually larger diameter than the access to a USB port.
Perhaps it was a carpenter's (chisel point) pencil Alan, maybe it could be possible then.
Quote:
This reminds me of the constipated mathematician who had to work it out with a pencil.
Nice one fosseway, I hadn't heard it before!
Old 14-09-18, 19:55
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista View Post
A family member had the laptop on the sofa and a stray pencil got stuck in an USB port/socket. After a while she could smell something and smoke was coming out of the socket. Realised it was a pencil stuck. Now the socket is partially damaged with some burnt plastic - sniffing near it you can smell the burnt plastic.

With at least 2 other USB ports available, one not working is not an issue but is there any precautions or advice I should take on board? Should I cover the socket with sticky or electrical tape as it's now "out of bounds" for example? Otherwise the laptop appears safe to use - I have got all bits of the pencil lead out of the port and there's no more burning or smoke.
As the Laptop is still working The Damaged socket needs to be Isolated by detaching the Internal cable (4 pins) Needs a repair shop for this Unknown if they can find and fit a replacement "Jack",(Internally it could be soldered as opposed to a fiddly push fit on PC cases.
Case damage can't be fixed unless you are a dab hand with Filler and a Pot of enamel paint
As you say you have "At least 2" other USB ports working Why not fit a
Laptop USB port Multiplier plug like this with 4 ports ?

There might be a UK supplier in amongst these images?
Old 15-09-18, 08:44
Highly valued member

Asda do a "Polaroid" one off the shelf, no need to go to Amazon. I still think you should get it sorted though rather than resort to this.

fosseway