Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Feedback & Announcements

Old 23-08-18, 22:46
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Yes, Britain is shamed by slavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1 View Post
So would you suppress opinion if you don't agree with it?

In any case, 'Britain' is an inanimate concept; it doesn't 'do' things any more than Marks and Spencer or a Utility Company does things. Only people 'do' things and are responsible for their actions. That doesn't make unrelated others who happen to be born in the same country a century later responsible for historic events and therefore ashamed or proud of them.
Slavery is a shameful part of Britain's past. Much of today's world was shaped by it.
Old 11-09-18, 23:58

As a newbie, and wishing to put a few ideas into perspective, let us remember than it was not ALL white people who dealt in slaves- simply research the Barbary Slave Trade which puts much of it into perspective.

The UK/Britain, the Dutch, the french etc etc were not the only people who traded slaves- it was not a "white" only profession- black africans also captured and held slaves- many of them being white people stolen from the southern coasts of england by pirates and black africans. remember also that slavery dates back many many centuries-back to the romans (from Italy) and the Pharohs of Egypt as well as muslims/Islam themselves.

Jon98 seems to think that people of modern day uk should feel shame, i wonder does he apply that same opinion to those of the black and other races of africa and asia and they they too should feel the same shame for what THEIR ancestors did?

Applying the same logic all muslims should feel ashamed by what muslim extremists have done in modern years such as the twin towers murders, bomb attacks in Manchester etc and attacks on supermarkets in Kenya and all the Irish for the Birmingham and Warrington bombs and you don't have to go back centuries to remember those attacks- their relatives are still around and living unlike those from the distant past of 200 and 300 years ago.

So I expect Jon98 to be requesting appologies from all those people for their modern day attrocities and from africans for their ancesters slave dealings the same as he seems to be demanding from todays british people for something WE knew nothing about that happened before any of us were born and yet are expected to bear the shame of? Well sorry but not from me.

More information if you wish to look at the Barbary Slave Trading and you can make your own minds up as to who should apologies to who or whether to leave the past in the past?? https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Old 12-09-18, 23:05
Highly valued member

Yep slavery was/is a filthy practice, as was/is genocide, murder, rape etc, etc. No-one is going to argue with that.

As for formal apologies, how far back should we go and who is going to apologise for Genghis Khan ???

Personally, I find the most disgusting crime is the sexual abuse of vulnerable children especially by the Catholic Church. Not just for the abuse itself, but also for the cover-up by its hierarchy that allowed the abuse to continue for many decades, and for the perpetrators to escape justice.

Here are the latest historical revelations of what has been a truly global practice ..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45500072

Quote:
The report is the latest in a long series of revelations that have uncovered decades of sex abuse by Roman Catholic priests around the world.
You can only imagine the horror and fear of these poor kids when their doors are stealthily opened at night by these perverted scumbags.

Spit
Old 13-09-18, 01:51
Top contributor

Quote:
Personally, I find the most disgusting crime is the sexual abuse of vulnerable children...
I totally agree, the Catholic church is an appalling example of a truly sickening crime. Unfortunately, they're not the only ones who sexually torture and abuse vulnerable little children, it's horrifyingly widespread among all levels of society. If I had my way, the despicable scumbags who perpetrate these atrocities would get the death penalty, no appeal, no reprieve.
Old 15-09-18, 16:38
Passionate member

I was somewhat surprised to hear that the Pope had asked the people of Ireland to forgive the Catholic hierarchy for not exposing and rooting out the offenders over the years, and had prayed for forgiveness too. That seems a bit premature. Forgiveness follows confession, penitence and penance. When we have seen the guilty members of the hierarchy confess and the evidence of conspiracy to conceal crimes being handed to the police for investigation with naming and prosecution of both the offenders and those who condoned the offences being well under way, a plea for forgiveness may be entertained. (sliding off topic but following the theme)