Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > All Other Operating Systems

Notices

Old 03-09-18, 10:56
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Driver Pack Notifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakybeaky View Post
Driverpack has been known to install adware/pups.
Something here may help: assuming it is the same program:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topi...or-driverpack/
thanks mate, I'll look at this problem in a few days when I'm home again.
Old 03-09-18, 11:02
Global Moderator

Yes, leave DPN ticked in Start up before uninstalling.

Not all antivirus programs are equipped to detect PuPs/adware - which is why SAS, MBAM and AdwCleaner come into their own.
Old 03-09-18, 21:50
Enthusiastic contributor

Good info on that link from sneakybeaky too.

Is it saying that Driver Pack is a new programme that I didnt have a week ago.?

I dont quite understand why you should therefore leave it ticked if you uninstall.it ?

Would anybody take a chance on connecting it to the internet for 10 mins or whatever to run malwatebytes ?
Old 03-09-18, 21:57
Global Moderator

I assume you are talking about the Start up menu in msconfig ?

If you have a program unchecked in there and you uninstall it, that entry will remain which is why you leave the box checked so that will also go when you uninstall it.

As you have Avast which should auto update when you connect to the Internet, you should be safe, but MBAM will also check for updates before it starts its scan.
Old 03-09-18, 22:51
Enthusiastic contributor

I tried to revert to a restore point before installing this game but I didn't have one. That will be because I only bought it a year or so ago to play a few XP games and almost immediately disconnected it from the internet after scanning it with Avast.

I understand what you say...it seems that by uninstalling Driver Pack its restoring the laptop as it was before ?

If I pick up a nasty then there is nothing else on it. But I'd just scan it hopefully sort it then disconnect it again.
Old 03-09-18, 22:57
Global Moderator

I don't know what DPN does but if you have used it and then uninstall it, whatever changes you have made will remain.

You don't see much of what I call drive-bys these days, malware tends to attach itself to program download sites, so I doubt you will pick up anything that MBAM would miss in its scan.
Old 29-09-18, 18:49
Enthusiastic contributor

Finally got home and was able to tackle this.

Went online with it, switched on windows firewall and downloaded an update to malwarebytes. It firstly told me the current version is not compatible with XP. Fair enough so I carried on with my older version for XP and updated it as much as possible. This took a while. Then I ran a (first ever MWB) scan and it found and quarantined 75 driver pack notification files. Then I rebooted as my Avast had been prompting me to do this since halfway through the MWB update.

After restarting the laptop etc I then downloaded 21 microsoft XP security updates. This also took a while but it is done and it all boots up again with no problems.

With one slight hiccup in.that it seems to be slow in booting up. I deleted my quarantined items in MWB so later on I will have a looj at Driver Pack Notification and remove it from boot up if it is still there, while I'm there I'll untick MWB and Avast from boot up now it is disconnected from the internet again.

Aside of this, I cant think of anything else and these things should speed it up a bit
Old 30-09-18, 00:03
Global Moderator

I have the MBAM service set to Manual and stopped, so it only starts when I open the program.

Avast will probably be listed under Services in msconfig but some AV programs can reinstate themselves when unchecked in msconfig.

It may be better to go into its settings and disable it if possible as it could still be checking files as you boot up and slow to release them.
Old 01-10-18, 09:46
Enthusiastic contributor

I've turned MBAM off in its settings, because its a new installation it was going into autoscan and the free trial mode (seems like such a waste!).

Anyway I left Avast for now as it seems OK or quick enough for me on boot up. The DPN has completely gone from boot up and the entire laptop.

I'm quite annoyed I had all this from the installation of a genuine old strategy game on an original disk they aren't supposed to do this are they.

Thanks to you and sneakybeaky again much appreciated.
Old 01-10-18, 09:51
Global Moderator

In MBAM when you go into Settings/My Account you can disable the free trial.

I'm surprised that MBAM was able to run if you have disconnected from the Internet as it phones home first to check for Definition updates and you would normally get an error message along the lines of unable to connect to server.