Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Web User magazine feature suggestions

Old 17-08-18, 15:48
Top contributor

Lightbulb Detecting and Mapping Wifi Hot Spots and Discoveries nearby

This is worthy of a fun Item in the magazine Take your mobile phone or Tablet "around the block " or on the Bus and see if you can pick up any free Wifi Hotspots Or Note if anyone has altered their Router link name title from the default Title (and ID code)?

Mine is called "Test Netgear" But I see a sheltered housings link running about 25 yards away due East ...and on my Test walk 2 named links stood out (No triangulation) the First was "HomeontheRange" and a mystery called: Surveillancevan#7

Also caught a Passing Arriva Buses WiFi Hotspot signal
And there was lots of unsecure/open BT-FON links I connected to @ 1 to 25 MBps
Question where and who is generating these? OK for an "if all else fails try"connection.
Locally we are mainly TalkTalk & Sky and I saw a few Names I did not Recognize ...possibly Mobile Phones ISP's ?
Old 17-08-18, 17:57
Top contributor

Default Re: Detecting and Mapping Wifi Hotspots and Discoveries nearby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedstor View Post
And there was lots of unsecure/open BT-FON links I connected to @ 1 to 25 MBps
It says on the BTWifi -with -FON FAQ support pages that you must register (as a BT hub user) to receive /use this ,But the last Time I was with BT was as a paying line rental with AOL ( became TalkTalk >CPW) and the Line rental charge was merged with the running charge So that partially solves that.
As For the Router Hardware I have a Spare BT Hub 2 (Second hand buy) which I have never Used which is in my spares box with a few others
So we are left with the puzzle of why I can Use BT-FON signals and Have never Registered formally with BT ? May not be the only one?
This is Formally what it states:
Fon is the world’s first global wi-fi network and aims to give all its members access to wireless broadband wherever they are in the world. Since March 2009, all new BT Broadband customers are automatically members of the Fon community and agree to securely share a portion of their wi-fi bandwidth through a separate channel on their hub.

Sharing your wi-fi with Fon is safe and secure, and you won't even notice when others are connected because Fon only uses a tiny portion of your bandwidth.

In return, you can use the world's largest wi-fi network for free. That's over 20 million wi-fi hotspots around the world.

Participating BT Hubs are known as BTWifi-with-Fon hotspots. Comment: I am not Utilizing such a Device. Can "see" a BT Router on my Tablets local Network detection List> "Hub 6" Distance unknown and another which says BT Wifi-X "Strength" is Good on the Latter Device and Poor on the Former when I posted this .
https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/...fi-with-fon%3F

Just spotted this Map about FON ...Happy hunting! https://fon.com/maps/
PS The Irish Republic is Not Included Why?