Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Other Hardware

Notices

Old 10-10-18, 14:59
Highly valued member

Default Re: Epson Printer and non brand ink

I have an Epson Stylus SX200 copier/printer which I have had for many years and alwys use compatible cartridges from https://www.cartridgediscount.co.uk/

The colour reproduction is very good indeed. Also, sometimes not using the printer for a month or two I have never had problems with nozzle blockages, etc.

Would recommend you give them a try. Very good prices too for their replacements.
Old 12-10-18, 01:25
Top contributor

I've just seen this article from Fast Company:

EFF: Epson tricking customers with fake software update to reject thir
Quote:
The Electronic Frontier Foundation has revealed that in late 2016 or early 2017 printer giant Epson began sending deceptive updates to users’ printers under the guise that the updates were software or security improvements. In fact, the EFF claims, the updates were nothing more than Epson giving its printers the ability to reject third-party ink refills.
I wonder if that's what my apparent software updates were?
Old 12-10-18, 09:03
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
I've just seen this article from Fast Company:

EFF: Epson tricking customers with fake software update to reject thir

I wonder if that's what my apparent software updates were?
As you use branded inks then that won't affect you but for those who use(d) generic inks, then I would think an uninstall/reinstall and not allow the update should get you back to where you want to be.
Old 12-10-18, 11:09
Passionate member

Now I understand why Epson are obsessed with getting users to use their auto update manager.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 18-10-18, 19:08
Familiar face

Yes, indeed, I have all but had it 'officially' confirmed that the latest Epson update earlier this week, was designed to 'break' a printer not using original inks. My sister showed me a post which confirmed this. I will try and find it and put up the link.

So, I am left with a non-usable printer, and am expected to not only comply in future by purchasing branded inks, but to fork out to purchase a new one, but it will certainly NOT be an Epson or HP (I believe they have, allegedly, been sneaking this into its' updates since 2016, but not to everyone so it is only now that users are putting 2 and 2 together, mainly US up to now. Of course all of this is only becoming clear, allegedly!!, now that many more people are affected, and it will, I doubt not be 'discoverable' in their updates.

Of course, in the few months' I have had my printer, I am still well in pocket, but today, whilst shopping for a new printer, I found one that is suitable, costs less than a new ink supply that was advertised next to it, but I am sure if this trick is allowed to continue, the price of both will escalate wildly.

Off to find the link.
Old 18-10-18, 19:16
Familiar face

This was posted yesterday on the "How To Geek" website to which I subscribe:

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/securi...er-on-purpose/
Old 18-10-18, 21:29
Passionate member

It's disgusting that they are allowed to get away with this anti-competitive action especially by tricking people that the update would improve things for them.

People really do need to be aware the dodgy things the printer makers are up to! They need exposing big time.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 18-10-18, 22:29
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylouisa View Post
Yes, indeed, I have all but had it 'officially' confirmed that the latest Epson update earlier this week, was designed to 'break' a printer not using original inks. My sister showed me a post which confirmed this. I will try and find it and put up the link.

So, I am left with a non-usable printer, and am expected to not only comply in future by purchasing branded inks, but to fork out to purchase a new one, but it will certainly NOT be an Epson or HP (I believe they have, allegedly, been sneaking this into its' updates since 2016, but not to everyone so it is only now that users are putting 2 and 2 together, mainly US up to now. Of course all of this is only becoming clear, allegedly!!, now that many more people are affected, and it will, I doubt not be 'discoverable' in their updates.

Of course, in the few months' I have had my printer, I am still well in pocket, but today, whilst shopping for a new printer, I found one that is suitable, costs less than a new ink supply that was advertised next to it, but I am sure if this trick is allowed to continue, the price of both will escalate wildly.

Off to find the link.
I'd be extremely careful about buying a printer that costs less than an ink refill as it may be set so that it won't work with generic inks.
Old 18-10-18, 23:05
Enthusiastic contributor

I have replaced my Epson WF-7610 now with an Epson WF-7710. The reason I stayed with Epson, even though I do have a HP A3 printer, is that, as scrimper has said, they are an excellent A3 double sided printer. I buy my clones from Cartridgesave now rather than the very cheapies off Ebay and the reason is that they state that "our cartridges will not invalidate your guarantee." I called them out on this and asked what happens if Epson do refuse to repair/replace my printer during the guarantee period because I have been using your cartridges. Their reply was that they would repair or replace the printer themselves. Hopefully I wont have to put this to the test.
Old 18-10-18, 23:07
Global Moderator

I'd keep that reply as your guarantee.